Sarum Town (formally N gauge home layout)

shanks522

Hello all,

Been doing an hour or so when i can and now have a panel which controls the lower level, It sets the entire route at the touch of a button, i was a little worried as two of the buttons change 8 point motors at once but all seems to work ok.

Its been roughly fitted to the layout but needs tidying up so a cruel close up is all you get for now.

post-6774-0-21052200-1464548888_thumb.jpg

Heres a shot of damage from tuesday, the whole wall needs replacing.

post-6774-0-32264000-1464548883_thumb.jpg

I think i've found a replacement which hopefully will arrive this week.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

This might be a really dumb question... How do the switches know which direction the train is starting from? I'd guess trains are going right to left there, but then trains coming off up main would be going left to right. Sounds a great idea, I just can't work it out!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

This might be a really dumb question... How do the switches know which direction the train is starting from? I'd guess trains are going right to left there, but then trains coming off up main would be going left to right. Sounds a great idea, I just can't work it out!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, 

To be completely honest the panel is designed to be operator friendly and relies on memory more than anything else! 

I might try and explain it in a video.

cheers

Graham.

Cheers

Simon

I've added a little diagram which might help to explain how it works.

post-6774-0-71876700-1464608091_thumb.png

The switches for the Up and Down line when pushed set the entire route to do a circuit of the layout, all the other button set the route from the mainline to its siding or return loop but the Up and Down button must be pushed to return all other points back to normal.

In the picture above you can see that when the blue button ( depot siding ) is pressed 4 points are changed so access is from the mainline to the siding.

When the Up main button is pushed all the points with yellow dots are thrown back to normal, ie mainline running, this works the same with all sidings etc.

hopefully that makes a little sense.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 1

Few hours modelling on bank holiday monday? don't mind if i do!

Most of the time was spent tidying up the wiring beneath the layout.

post-6774-0-58065300-1464633054_thumb.jpg

Had to run a few trains, would have been rude not to.

New 60 on the firm!

post-6774-0-49553400-1464633070_thumb.jpg

I'm fairly happy with the electrics now so work can commence on the upper section.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 6

I think i need to name the layout, can't keep calling it the N gauge home layout, anyone got any idea's?

I'm thinking south western region, steel, coal traffic and enterprise, NSE and intercity? Terminal station in a reasonably urban setting.

cheers

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

The layout certainly has the feel of Acton, Old Oak and the north London lines, so how about a name along those lines? Acton Common or Oak Wells or something like that. I think a NSE bubble car is going to be needed.

• Like 2

The layout certainly has the feel of Acton, Old Oak and the north London lines, so how about a name along those lines? Acton Common or Oak Wells or something like that. I think a NSE bubble car is going to be needed.

Hi Jimmy,

NSE bubblecar, that could swing it! I hadn't considered the london end. 

I was actually think of going the other way, as in going as far west as possible, Not sure about Exeter but after talking with my dad last night somewhere around Yeovil could be good?

Thank you for the idea's though! Off to source a bubble car now!  :O

Graham.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeovil could work quite nicely, I had a real struggle trying to find a NSE bubble car, I managed to source one from trains 4 u after clocking the model on the shop floor on one of the BRM DVDs

Jimmy

• Like 2

Yeovil could work quite nicely, I had a real struggle trying to find a NSE bubble car, I managed to source one from trains 4 u after clocking the model on the shop floor on one of the BRM DVDs

Jimmy

I'm impressed you saw one on a DVD! I've found one on ebay which is sound fitted, very tempting but i may hold off for the minute as i have a couple of other sound loco's in the pipeline.

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah it was a good spot, I emailed the shop to say I'd seen it and asked if they still had any in stock. I know the one your referring too it is indeed a tempting purchase.

• Like 1

Look forward to watching this develop - Smithdown Road remains one of my favourite layouts.

Thanks njee20,

I do miss smithdown road,, once I get more time and Stanley park progresses it will hopefully become its bigger brother.

I'm doing this little project for a couple of reasons, firstly to see what I can fit in 4' x 2', secondly to have something easy to set up and play trains, since SRJ went I've done hardly any work in N so it's a good way to keep the creative juices flowing.

Cheers

Graham

Edited by shanks522

Evening all,

New walls arrived at the weekend and have now been fitted, with these in place i can start on the woodwork for the upper station.

post-6774-0-43711000-1465417723_thumb.jpg

New wagons too, A small rake of HAA's, now to find a working for them.

post-6774-0-49152800-1465417728_thumb.jpg

Overall shot, Wiring / point motors etc are all complete for the lower section, just need a few hours of testing to make sure all is ok and then onto the upper level.

post-6774-0-63712700-1465417735_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 10

Hello all,

I've been racking my brains over the last week or so to come up with a name for the layout and i've finally decided on Sarum Town.

I was thinking of somewhere around Yeovil but a terminus there just doesn't seem right, Salisbury though is an important junction from both the East and West and i reckon a terminal station with part of Salisbury's original name could fit the bill, gives me an excuse to buy some 33's and 50's now! 

cheers

Graham.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graham.... The layout is coming on nicely just shows how much you can get out of N, with a clever design and excellent carpentry skills in just 4x2. The 47 sounds and looks the business also.

Jez

• Like 1

Very neat Graham.

One of the first layouts I built had a top level terminus down to a reverse loop / oval, on the same size board. But with so little scope ( One loop and back and no storage ) I lost interest quickly. My platform ran down the back edge, so only room really for the new Farish 101 at the time.

This has plenty going on below and a nice platform length thanks to the diagonal by the look of it, the walls definitely give it a ' Son of Smithdown ' look. Some good coaching stock moves possible looking again at the track plan. 

My layout had been described in a special ( I think) and most of the mag was devoted to the build. I think there may have been a N gauge version in the same mag as I remember the Minitrix hoppers in a pic.

Steve

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

Early day today so did a little work on the layout, mainly cutting and fitting all the uprights for the top section then screwing it all into place.

Lovely sunny day so worked in the garden.

post-6774-0-35146700-1469310021_thumb.jpg

I've started to lay the track but not 100% happy yet so pictures will have to wait.

I also gave a few loco's a run to stretch there legs and videoed my SWD fitted 37.

More soon!

Graham.

• Like 9

Hi Graham ,

smithdown road ( which remains my favourite ever layout on RMWEB )

It's so tempting to sell off a bit off 00 to have a go!

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for your comments,

I enjoy the challenge more than anything else, even got idea's for another which i should get out my head! 

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Weekend engineering works!

I've been doing a few hours here and there on the top level terminus and my biggest hurdle so far has been point motors, because the clearance underneath is tight any form of wiring or motors is pretty much a no no, surface mounting isn't a problem but i don't want them visible. After some thought and measuring i've managed to fit Peco side mounted motors within the platform which connect to wire in tube then onto the points, problem solved!

I also needed to connect up the DCC wiring so have used copper tape which runs the length of the board then minimal wiring to the track, All will be buried under scenery eventually. 

Lastly 7 Dapol Uncoupling magnets have been buried under the track for hands free shunting, I need to test all the stock but so far so good.

post-6774-0-21530700-1470601868_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-20234100-1470601876_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 13