What make and model is this pick-up vehicle?

• RMweb Premium

A nice model, almost exactly 00 scale. Can still be found at toy fairs and swap meets for a couple of quid and easily fitted with glazing, wheels and interior. It might be possible to use such components from the Oxford or Corgi Trackside van versions of the same vehicle.

• RMweb Premium

I believe it could also be badged as an Austin.

Ed

The different makes had different grills, the Morris grill sloped inwards to the top whereas the Austin grill was rectangular. Other than that they were identical, badge engineering at its best (worst?).

I have a whole fleet of the Matchbox J2 pick ups. The intention was to detail them up a bit and fit glazing, but newer models have rather stolen my thunder for doing that. :D 

As has already been pointed out, these were pretty well to OO scale.

Quite a few other 1950s and '60s Matchbox (Lesney) models were to railway scales. Their catalogues of the times actually listed the scales in the descriptions for each model.

• RMweb Premium

I have a whole fleet of the Matchbox J2 pick ups. The intention was to detail them up a bit and fit glazing, but newer models have rather stolen my thunder for doing that. :D 

As has already been pointed out, these were pretty well to OO scale.

Quite a few other 1950s and '60s Matchbox (Lesney) models were to railway scales. Their catalogues of the times actually listed the scales in the descriptions for each model.

Matchbox made three vans as well as the Morris pick-up that were close to or exactly 00 scale. The pick-up was actually 1/75 scale as was the Trojan van. They made a Volkswagen van and a Thames 400E minibus that were spot on at 1/76 scale. Most of the British/European cars they produced were far overscale for 00 but some of the American cars were also very close to 00 scale. Other manufacturers such as Husky produced models that were more or less 00 scale as well. Most of these models with a little bit of work can be made presentable by changing the wheels and adding glazing and interiors as neccessary. I will try composing a list of such models including some from modern manufacturers such as Tomica.

The Matchbox Commer/Karrier ice cream van was also very close to OO scale. The cab matches up in dimensions to my resin kit commer van (I can't remember the source of the kit for sure but I think it may have been Road Transport Images).

I do have a couple of the Matchbox Ford Thames minibuses, but the Volkswagen van I had as a child has long since disappeared. 

The Husky Ford Zephyr 6 estate (a rarity in real life) was around 1/75 scale. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Matchbox Commer/Karrier ice cream van was also very close to OO scale. The cab matches up in dimensions to my resin kit commer van (I can't remember the source of the kit for sure but I think it may have been Road Transport Images).

But is that because the Matchbox is to scale? How was the master for the resin kit produced?????

• RMweb Premium

I put a Husky Zephyr 6 estate alongside the Oxford saloon version and they are dimensionaly identical in all respects. Another Husky model that is exactly to scale is the forward control Land Rover. There are other models in the range such as the Citroen DS that are said to be 00 scale but I have no examples for comparison.

• RMweb Premium

I do have a couple of the Matchbox Ford Thames minibuses, but the Volkswagen van I had as a child has long since disappeared. 

The Husky Ford Zephyr 6 estate (a rarity in real life) was around 1/75 scale. 

I think the Matchbox Commer/Karrier van is slightly underscale and the resin kit, as many once were, is taken from the Matchbox model and perpetuates the same faults. Matchbox quote a scale of 1/78 which is about right bearing in mind that Matchbox didn't always quote the correct scale.

• RMweb Premium

I put a Husky Zephyr 6 estate alongside the Oxford saloon version and they are dimensionally identical in all respects. Another Husky model that is exactly to scale is the forward control Land Rover. There are other models in the range such as the Citroen DS that are said to be 00 scale but I have no examples for comparison.

Citroën DS from, front to rear, Oxford, Matchbox, Husky.

post-15-0-31789700-1455964905_thumb.jpg

J2. Pick-up Matchbox, van Corgi Trackside. The corgi looks way too big.

post-15-0-23186200-1455964911_thumb.jpg

Austin Cambridge. Oxford front, Matchbox back.

post-15-0-08692100-1455964917_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Citroën DS from, front to rear, Oxford, Matchbox, Husky.

attachicon.gif20160220_103505_resized.jpg

J2. Pick-up Matchbox, van Corgi Trackside. The corgi looks way too big.

attachicon.gif20160220_103520_resized.jpg

Austin Cambridge. Oxford front, Matchbox back.

attachicon.gif20160220_103512_resized.jpg

A lot of the smaller Corgi models are to 1/72 scale so do look big even against the Oxford models. Some of the proportions are a bit odd as well, their Ford Anglia and Morris Minors are awful.

The proportions of some Matchbox models were modified to make them "look right". A dubious practice at best, but still better than some (most?) of the rubbish available to today's children. Not that they would be much use to us anyway as most are approximately 1/64th scale (apologies to any S scale modellers reading).

A couple of examples - the Matchbox no. 22 Vauxhall Cresta looks to be too wide and the Budgie Austin taxi is too long (also rather under 4mm scale). (The Matchbox model of the taxi is around 1/72 scale - The Dublo Dinky one is the right size (or at least claims to be) but is collectable and thus expensive and comes in a strange blue and white colour scheme.

The Husky Citroën DS Safari is I think possibly H0 scale, as the prototype is actually 6.5" longer than the DS saloon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_DS

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Fortunately a lot of these vehicles are now available from Oxford and Classix so there is no need to resort to modifying these old toys. IMHO the Minix range were amongst the best and even today can be modified and upgraded, the only thing that let them down was the wheels and the lack of interior on some models.

• RMweb Premium

snip....... Not that they would be much use to us anyway as most are approximately 1/64th scale (apologies to any S scale modellers reading).

Indeed, a selection of Matchbox vehicles usually graces my S scale railway. I usually park the 60s Merc SL over the oil patch adjacent to the station....

• Like 1

Unfortunately Minix also fall under the heading of 'collectable' .....

However, I did pick up a bright yellow sports car for 75p. A Sunbeam Alpine IIRC.

The Dinky buses are 1/76*, but again 'collectable' and better models are available. Most are obscure prototypes.

*Actually 5/32" to 1' but near enough. Meccano Ltd. were strictly Imperial. (Even today's French Meccano has 1/2" (sorry 12.7mm) as a 'magic figure').

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry chaps, but as the owner of said vehicle I can tell you its a kit, not a Lesney repaint. Trouble is I built it 14 years ago, because I wanted a small pick up truck for the coal merchant and the Oxford and Corgi ranges werent really establised at that time. Don't ask whos kit it was though!!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• RMweb Premium

There was a company making cheap white metal copies of various diecasts in 00 scale. IIRC they produced copies of many of the Dinky Dublo models as well as a few of the Matchbox models including the J2 pick-up. They were very crude and often poorly made.