• RMweb Gold

Ah, so just as the “Mexican wave” originated in the USA (baseball stadia, to be precise), it took the name of somewhere else, due to American (meaning nationality, not geographical location) insularity.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Regularity said:

American (meaning nationality, not geographical location) insularity.

If the US had stayed out of the Great War, the Spanish Flu might have been confined to North America and European civilians would have died of something else - starvation, probably.

• Agree 2

Most nations name things, especially things they aren't too keen to be associated with, after other nations, le vice anglaise, and swiss roll being good examples. After all, who would want to claim a rolled-up sponge cake as their own?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Ah. Next thing we know, some other nation will be blaming the USA for SARS-Cov-2.

Oh, they did.
(The Chinese, if anyone didn’t know.)
Edited by Regularity
Put some text into a blank post.
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Adam88 said:

Did he really?  Spanish Flu in 1917?

Although it is called the Spanish Flu it originated in the United States and was at first thought to have started in Kansas. "A 2018 study of tissue slides and medical reports led by evolutionary biology professor Michael Worobey found evidence against the disease originating from Kansas as those cases were milder and had fewer deaths compared to the situation in New York City in the same time period. The study did find evidence through phylogenetic analyses that the virus likely had a North American origin, though it was not conclusive. In addition, the haemagglutinin glycoproteins of the virus suggest that it was around far prior to 1918 and other studies suggest that the reassortment of the H1N1 virus likely occurred in or around 1915"

Edited by webbcompound
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

This (now in a parishioner's custody):

563891270_T7IainRiceforESLR.jpg.3c45361561970f039671b82c3c26f0e0.jpg

Well, the major change is in the trailing wheel's position. Mike Sharman's compilation of drawings from The Engineer magazine has two profile drawings for the class reproduced to 7mm scale 

Ooh I didn’t know that - that’s very interesting - glad to see the old girl survives. I do like the East Suffolk Light, though Iain’s North Cornwall Minerals (Tregarrick) has to be my all time favourite, sadly born many years too late to be able to appreciate it other than in copies of old magazines! 

Thanks - useful to know about the drawings, in fact I have a feeling that you kindly supplied me with a copy of them a couple of years back when we first discussed the T7 ideas. Shall dig them out and have a look. It might be easier to start from scratch depending on how much difference there is.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

After all, who would want to claim a rolled-up sponge cake as their own?

Dress it up in a bit of national verbiage, and Le Roulade Helvetique* may well become a source of pride!

Regarding "le vice anglaise", which particular one? 

* God knows if thats right, I only speak fluent Franglais!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Ah. Next thing we know, some other nation will be blaming the USA for SARS-Cov-2.

Oh, they did.
(The Chinese, if anyone didn’t know.)

After being on the end of one of Trumps sinophobic tweets, if I recall...

He really doesn't get this "diplomacy" thing, does he.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

The argument about which side started the US-Chinese accusations will probably go on forever.

A German case of naming something as French: Franzoesische schluss.

The meaning of this is very, very rude indeed, so I won't elucidate.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

After being on the end of one of Trumps sinophobic tweets, if I recall...

He really doesn't get this "diplomacy" thing, does he.

He is not sinophobic. He maintains communication with tyrants. He is an interesting some would say admirable person from outside conventional political thinking and the comfort zone of many, and has large organisations like the Democratic Party and Globalists of all kinds out to destroy him.

Remarkable man.   Ayn Rand might approve.  I'll say no more.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Umm.. that is being polite, he died of something else far less polite but endemic to that period and was to remain so until the discovery of penicillin. 

Well done!  I wondered when someone would get there.

2 hours ago, robmcg said:

He is not sinophobic. He maintains communication with tyrants. He is an interesting some would say admirable person from outside conventional political thinking and the comfort zone of many, and has large organisations like the Democratic Party and Globalists of all kinds out to destroy him.

Remarkable man.   Ayn Rand might approve.  I'll say no more.

Quite frankly I'm just glad he's over there not over here. Populist leaders are rarely good news, but I dare say that given the choice between him and the current British PM I'd take the latter as despite my not exactly being his biggest fan he seems to be doing as good a job as anyone else would've done in the circumstances. 

I think Trump scares a lot of people not through his 'unconventional' (lack of) political ability, but through his apparent inability to keep his mouth shut when he needs to. I get the impression that there are competent portions of the US Government who dread every time their boss goes near Twitter on account of how major a diplomatic incident he might cause. 

I'm not saying that conventional politics are perfect, or that comfort zones ought to be maintained in perpetuity, but on a personal level I feel Trump shows precisely the wrong way to do this.

Of course, each to their own. I don't hold an irrational hatred towards those who like, or adore, the man. This is the joy of relative freedom of expression.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Donw said:

The most awful thing about Sing Something Simple was the fact I new most of the songs.

That's what I liked! "Songs my mother (and father) taught me".

Lovely.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, robmcg said:

He is not sinophobic.

He probably isn’t. 
The one “advantage” he has when dealing with the Chinese Government is that he doesn’t play by the usual Western rules. Given that Western civilisation is built on the rule of law and payment of debts (and that he has 4 bankruptcies where he folded companies to avoid payment of debts!) then this flexibility is not a good sign for the so-called “leader of the free world” - his short-term “America first” viewpoint is also at odds with providing moral leadership.

• Like 5

I genuinely find him incredibly strange/bizarre. Leaving aside the content of what he says/tweets, it’s the fact that he says/tweets most of it at all that is so strange ........ it’s as if he genuinely has no filtering or post-processing capability between the early generation of thoughts, and their utterance.

Add to that a blindingly-obvious and unsophisticated self-centredness, and it is really disconcerting.

The post processing, the tidying-up into cogent statements, the filtering-out of randomly whimsical stuff, the cutting of the ‘me, me, me’ out of sentences, the calibration with facts, all has to be done after he has uttered, by others mostly. Normal adults do a lot of that inside their own heads.

Its clearly a weirdly effective strategy, a sort of spoilt-toddler-ocracy, because he gets things done (mostly not things I much like, but then I’m a namby-pamby euro-liberal), possibly because it is so weird actechnique that it ‘blindsides’ most normal people.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

It had not occurred to me that we might have Bridge enthusiasts here on RMweb. Is there an online Bridge game that we could join to while away the internment?

I don't play, but folk I know who do use Bridge Base Online:

https://www.bridgebase.com/

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1