• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Nah. It’s for winding up the spring to power it - better than having a loose key.

And keeps dust and dirt out of the mechanism to boot!

Thats the flywheel of a steam driven pump for delivering the  feedwater into the boiler.

You can imagine the sales pitch; "And here is a small steam engine to keep the big steam engine going!"

Edited by Hroth
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Looking rather less like Barnstaple than I at first thought! 

Yes, well, welcome to Genaria, it's my favourite area.

It must be all things to all stock as it's inter alia The Photo-plank.  That's why I decided to drop the board: the embankment/road means that there can be more below the model in a photograph than just a baseboard edge; any resemblance to the banks of the Taw was purely coincidental!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Northroader said:

It’s the Yorkshire Dales branch of the SECR. Do keep up.

Odd you should say so. I live near the South Eastern's briar-like offshoot to Reading and the first thing James' bridge put me in mind of was the rather elegant bridge over the River Loddon, although that is on an altogether larger scale:

image.png.acfd9cf64fc0bcbb1d41d0d8b232ae32.png

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I have that bridge in a nice stone that would do well for the North East, but I resisted the temptation, thinking that brick gave more geographical flexibility.

It uses 2 out of the three arches in the kit and is cut down in height and width and is being adapted as required; that's why I love these downloadable kits, you can do almost anything with them: Smart Models Viaduct.  Runs as required will recall it. 

rail20c-02.jpg.86d1c8c577e3fa7bbb7f4e974849ccb6.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Here is something interesting:

Left: The bridge kit printed on the paper I've used for CA buildings, but using my new printer.

Right: The bridge kit printed on the paper supplied by Smart Models, using my new printer.

IMG_5311.JPG.803288ae18de539947125c7b69200856.JPG

In may ways I preferred the subtlety of the former, but it was just too pale; I knew that once I had the grass down, it would look too faded or de-saturated in comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

That leaves me tempted to take up Roman aqueduct modelling...

What did the Romans ever...

No, too obvious.

(So I said it anyway, to please St. Enedoc.)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Regularity said:

What did the Romans ever...

No, too obvious.

(So I said it anyway, to please St. Enedoc.)

Never stopped you before. 

e.g. It is inevitable that your train will end in a luggage brake.  Why?

Well it's a ......

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I find those computer printed brick papers are very prone to fading after a time. Suggest some sort of fixative spray which resists UV light may help. Up to now I’ve been trying Matt varnish, but that can add to the problems.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I find those computer printed brick papers are very prone to fading after a time. Suggest some sort of fixative spray which resists UV light may help. Up to now I’ve been trying Matt varnish, but that can add to the problems.

Well the Drill Hall has a coat of Humbrol matt varnish, and I plan to give the bridge same as soon as it's done and before I start splashing PVA around for grass, ballast etc.  

Meanwhile, at Edwardian Towers .....

IMG_5314.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Distractions aplenty.

The last fortnight has seen an explosion of activity to one side of the house; I now no longer have a lawn there, but a vast burial ground for a seemingly infinite number of baby druids.

Archie will be pleased.

I, on the other hand, am starting to regret my 'live and let dig' approach to subterranean fauna. 

To the other side stands my car, which yesterday decided to take up most of my day due to two flat tyres, and another ex-lawn.  This one is being dug up (and the hole is much bigger and deeper now) in a, thus far, vain attempt to find the leak through which I have, judging from the whizzing water meter dial, been draining a number of local reservoirs. If there is a hosepipe ban next summer, it'll be my fault. 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Sorry, forgot to ask; what problems have you encountered with matt varnish?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Well the Drill Hall has a coat of Humbrol matt varnish, and I plan to give the bridge same as soon as it's done and before I start splashing PVA around for grass, ballast etc.  

Meanwhile, at Edwardian Towers .....

IMG_5314.JPG

They're making a new series of Time Team?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

It was mainly that using Matt varnish, stir thoroughly as much as I could, a white bloom could appear when dry, which totally boll****** the whole job.sometimes it did, sometimes, if I was lucky, it didn’t.

you lost me with baby druids, (the penny’s just dropped on that, slow, or what?) but sorry to hear about the water mains. A long time ago before we were privatised, I ran a check on Old Oak Common mains water, and proved scientifically that Wormwood Scrubs should actually be a lake. Fortunately we could hand the problem over to the CCE, so I do wish you a successful outcome without a huge bill.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Northroader said:

It was mainly that using Matt varnish, stir thoroughly as much as I could, a white bloom could appear when dry, which totally boll****** the whole job.sometimes it did, sometimes, if I was lucky, it didn’t.

Sorry to hear that. Not a problem encountered so far, but I will be on my guard.

you lost me with baby druids, (the penny’s just dropped on that, slow, or what?) but sorry to hear about the water mains.

Not as slow as I am.  I watch 2 blokes spend the day digging a ditch in my garden and didn't once think of extending an invitation to No.10.  Well done Kevin for getting there!

A long time ago before we were privatised,

Congratulations.  I trust your dividends are in good health?

I ran a check on Old Oak Common mains water, and proved scientifically that Wormwood Scrubs should actually be a lake. Fortunately we could hand the problem over to the CCE, so I do wish you a successful outcome without a huge bill.

Thanks. I told the Estate about the leak 5 days a go, so when Northumbrian Water sends me the bill for refilling Hury and Blackton reservoirs, that should prompt an interesting conversation. 

• Like 4