• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Sloughs are generally ‘of Despond’, rather than ‘of Paralysis’, but it probably amounts to much the same thing.

i can easily (well not easily, the sunlight uplands are quite steep) cycle round ‘Bunyan Country’ from where I live, and I’ve often wondered exactly which place he had in mind, because it would be good to have one of those village signs celebrating a literary connection saying “welcome to Stewartby the Slough of Despond” (Stewartby is a near-random pick, based on its location down in the damp vale).

The've got a very nice sailing lake at Stewartby, now the brick works have closed, as it was nasty if the smoke blew down over the lake.. Mind you the lake was where they dug the clay out from  so you can't complain too much..

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brack said:

Uranus was first seen by William Herschel using a telescope in his garden in bath

Correct, in 1781. The fame he acquired thereby enabled him to move to Slough in 1786, where he built an observatory. It was the size and uniformity of the lenses ground by his sister Caroline and himself that enabled him to observe "George's Star", as he named it. Some argued that the discovery of this new world more than made up for the loss of the American colonies. [Richard Holmes, The Age of Wonder (Harper Press, 2008).] Don't believe everything you read on the internet, especially if written by me relying on memory.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

All three - There's a challenge for you!

Or is that a spoiled ballot?

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Don't do that. In this referendum, you can choose all three:

Offence is most likely given by making an insufficient number of choices!

Sem, I fear you were too busy looking at the pictures to read the instructions!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Donw said:

Here is one by way of nothing more than it being top quality modelling.  It can be found on here see Wenlock's Blog. It is of course dangerously on topic being the right period although it is set in Dorset rather distant from Norfolk and 7mm. Taken at the RMweb Swag meet two years ago.

Best in Show at RailEx this year - the most visually satisfying layout I've seen in a long time. I did have one slight niggle though. The layout is set, I understand, in 1905/6 - so just a year or two after the introduction of the 25" G W lettering style. A large proportion of the goods rolling stock was in this style and, as the photo you've copied shows, superbly weathered, but to my mind just a little too much for vehicles that have bee in traffic for no more than a couple of years. 

High standards raise expectations!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have much catching up to do over the weekend, as there has been much interesting activity here. Skim reading does not do it justice and at present I have merely the vague impression of some bizarre pseudo-scientific conspiracy centred in Bishop Auckland (!) and a mental picture of William Herschel discovering Uranus in a bath in his garden and then, equally improbably to my mind, choosing Slough as the measure of his success.   Apparently his sister Caroline joined him in the bath, remarking, "William, I believe I can perceive rings around Uranus".

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

BTW everybody, yesterday evening I was granted a peek at Castle Aching in the flesh. The structure modelling is even more exquisite in the flesh than we have seen in photos.

In this flurry of activity, it is easy to overlook this week's Significant Event, which was the delightful visit of Compound-Stephen to my shabby abode.  He sat very politely on the Decayed Sofa of the Centre Ground whilst I wittered at him, surrounded by unshelved piles of railway books and diverse family detritus. We then adjourned to the shed where a partially dismantled Castle Aching is gently rotting down. 

I very much enjoyed the visit and was glad to make the acquaintance in physical form of another member of the Parish. 

Which brings us to today's Colour Feature in honour of my guest ... 

2632.jpg.d2cda5f3d6853425b685092dfe1dfbac.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I have much catching up to do over the weekend, as there has been much interesting activity here. Skim reading does not do it justice and at present I have merely the vague impression of some bizarre pseudo-scientific conspiracy centred in Bishop Auckland (!) and a mental picture of William Herschel discovering Uranus in a bath in his garden and then, equally improbably to my mind, choosing Slough as the measure of his success.   Apparently his sister Caroline joined him in the bath, remarking, "William, I believe I can perceive rings around Uranus".

I am very glad you made that remark, believe me I had been tempted but delicate sensitivities etc. ...............   :unsure:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been away for a few days, and glad it was so as I have skimmed through the posts. I am glad to see that sanity has returned. The only referendum which should be mentioned here is the one when Castle Aching voted not to leave the United Kingdom. I believe that the result was fairly decisive, something like 5 to 1 - votes that is not proportions.

I agree with the suggestion that in 1906 not so much freight stock should be in  the new livery style and that which is should be reasonably pristine. I chose 1912 because one can mix and match GWR liveries, though by that time there would not have been any red wagons.

Time for some Gallic light relief.

Jonathan

Claude-Monet-Railroad-Bridge-11864.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Debatable. Has been debated... 

If, and in my view it's still an 'if', red remained the livery applied until 1904, given a repainting cycle that, for a pre-Grouping railway could easily be 10 years for some wagons, there would still have been a few red wagons at the out-break of the Great War. Based on the red-to-1904 theory, one could verify longevity by reference to B&W photographs of the 1910s, because all vehicles showing the small 'G. W. R' would still be red.

That may seem unlikely, but it would seem necessarily to follow from the conclusion that red remained the livery until the introduction of the large 'G W' initials.  If one dates the colour change to, say, 1894, or '96 or '98, as earlier works on the subject might suggest, then, yes, it is likely that red wagons would be extinct, or all but extinct, by 1912, though it would be harder to derive anything from B&W photographs, as a vehicle showing the small 'G. W. R' could be red or grey! 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am aware of the discussion - it also happened on the Rhymney and probably about the same undefined time. I have some red Rhymney wagons, archaic specimens which were evidently not worth repainting. As it happens I don't have any GWR wagons with cast number plates, by accident rather than design.

But not really relevant to CA unless you can find an excuse for a Rhymney open arriving one day. After all I have two Furness wagons!  The thin excuse is that they are delivering mining equipment from the Lowca works.

And you want to watch any Cambrian cattle wagons which turn up in the parish. One involved in an accident in 1907 was recorded by the Inspecting Officer as having no brakes whatsoever.

Jonathan

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

If, and in my view it's still an 'if', red remained the livery applied until 1904, given a repainting cycle that, for a pre-Grouping railway could easily be 10 years for some wagons, there would still have been a few red wagons at the out-break of the Great War. Based on the red-to-1904 theory, one could verify longevity by reference to B&W photographs of the 1910s, because all vehicles showing the small 'G. W. R' would still be red.

That may seem unlikely, but it would seem necessarily to follow from the conclusion that red remained the livery until the introduction of the large 'G W' initials.  If one dates the colour change to, say, 1894, or '96 or '98, as earlier works on the subject might suggest, then, yes, it is likely that red wagons would be extinct, or all but extinct, by 1912, though it would be harder to derive anything from B&W photographs, as a vehicle showing the small 'G. W. R' could be red or grey! 

Indeed, all very true, but as a modeller of the period one sooner or later has to make a decision one way or the other, unless one wants to put on one's monochrome-tinted spectacles every time one enters the railway room!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Nice avatar!

Now playing on R3, a new suite from Parsifal under the baton of its arranger, Andrew Gourlay. Ahhhh!

postcard-finale.jpg

Just missed it, due to having a grumble about the latest BBC insanity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582

If any member of the CAPC owns an Amazon Echo device and uses it as an "alarm clock" or sets routines to play BBC output at set times, they should be aware that the BBC is withdrawing support for TuneIn access from the 30th September because they can't carry out data mining.  The BBC suggest that the Alexa BBC skill is an appropriate alternative, however this does not allow alarms/routines to be set against it.  So from Monday, I'll be waking to Classic FM rather than Radio 3.

All this on top of their killing off Radio Iplayer in favour of the frankly rubbish Yoof-orientated Sounds app...

Sorry for the interruption, normal services will now be resumed!

Edited by Hroth
Link to fatuous BBC blog...
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Nice avatar!

Now playing on R3, a new suite from Parsifal under the baton of its arranger, Andrew Gourlay. Ahhhh!

postcard-finale.jpg

Yes, I was listening to that. Unsatisfactory, was my conclusion. I'd just got into the zone when it finished...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Now if it had been a proper broadcast of the whole opera, that wouldn't have been a problem - Gurnemanz would still be maundering on however long your consultation. 

The one time I went to a performance, the friend I went with had had a wearing day and said he was in danger of falling asleep during the first act - though he'd rather sleep through the second.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Ah, that's a different type of soliciting!

Says a member of the third oldest profession about the oldest... ;)

(Second oldest is usually said to be the priesthood.

There is a natural order here: 

1.) "Hey man, want to do something your partner wouldn't approve of? No emotional hassles, just payment?"

2.) "That is bad behaviour."

3.) "For a fee, I can get you on technicalities."

Or something like that.)

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I am aware of the discussion - it also happened on the Rhymney and probably about the same undefined time. I have some red Rhymney wagons, archaic specimens which were evidently not worth repainting. As it happens I don't have any GWR wagons with cast number plates, by accident rather than design.

But not really relevant to CA unless you can find an excuse for a Rhymney open arriving one day. After all I have two Furness wagons!  The thin excuse is that they are delivering mining equipment from the Lowca works.

And you want to watch any Cambrian cattle wagons which turn up in the parish. One involved in an accident in 1907 was recorded by the Inspecting Officer as having no brakes whatsoever.

Jonathan

Jonathan, i am looking to make a Rhymney Railway wagon circa 1910 suitable for carrying bells. (of the large church variety) However, i know precious little about their wagons or livery. Can you point me in the direction of suitable literature, or better yet pictures and places to buy kits. I expect a merchandise wagon of 1-4 planks would be most suited. 

My plan is to make wagon as a homage to a song:

https://youtu.be/l5tKgi2Un-4

• Like 2