Why is the loco driver shaking Hitler's hand?

I think that may be Lord Halifax in the top hat bearing down on him with small stick.

Actually, thats Alois Hitler, his half-brother,  the Liverpool one who eloped with an Irishwoman at the Dublin Horse Show.  He started it all by giving Adolf a Reeves paintbox for a Christmas present...

If we're going to have posters, then it has to be for a proper railway....

attachicon.gifGWR01.jpg

A realistic representation of the locale, no bathing beauties, no warped perceptions.

attachicon.gifGWR02.jpg

Factual, oozing atmosphere!

attachicon.gifRain_Steam_and_Speed_the_Great_Western_Railway.jpg

Possibly the best image of any railway!

(Not a poster as such, but just WOW!)

Back from The Smoke, and so many, rather colourful, pages to catch up with.

This, by the way, is a representation of Caerphilly Castle, no less.  She is here is in pre-1927 livery and I would assume the poster dates from soon after she entered service in 1923, the GW publicity department no doubt exploiting the most powerful loco in the country (more powerful than Gresley's Flying Scotsman, for all it was worth. 

post-25673-0-84460300-1548661930.jpg

After posting it, I did start to wonder if it were post Great War, the cab looking rather Colletian, and all the other GWR locos of the pre-war period ending in '73 being 4-4-0s with rather differently designed cabs and tenders.  The engine driver looks Edwardian though, if a little smartly dressed after a 2 hour thrash up from the Smoke!

Edited by Hroth

After posting it, I did start to wonder if it were post Great War, the cab looking rather Colletian, and all the other GWR locos of the pre-war period ending in '73 being 4-4-0s with rather differently designed cabs and tenders.  The engine driver looks Edwardian though, if a little smartly dressed after a 2 hour thrash up from the Smoke!

It's not a hugely accurate rendering, but I agree it's a representation of a Collett cab. The tender, bearing, I would say, the pre-1927 Garter, rather than the twin shields, is Churchward, however, as the early Castles entered service with Churchward 3,500 gallon tenders before later gaining the Collett 4,000 gallon tenders.

Despite the odd colours, I interpret the coach as in 1921 lined chocolate and cream and the lady wears a classic 1920s hat!

• Like 1

It's not a hugely accurate rendering, but I agree it's a representation of a Collett cab. The tender, bearing, I would say, the pre-1927 Garter, rather than the twin shields, is Churchward, however, as the early Castles entered service with Churchward 3,500 gallon tenders before later gaining the Collett 4,000 gallon tenders.

Despite the odd colours, I interpret the coach as in 1921 lined chocolate and cream and the lady wears a classic 1920s hat!

OTOH, I feel the coaches look nearer to the "red lake" livery that was used between 1908 and 1922, and the poster would thus represent the newly-built 4073 on a running in turn in late 1923, supposing that the conversion of carriage livery back to choc'n'cream would have taken some time.  Using her between London and Birmingham would make sense as any problems could be fixed at the Wolverhampton Factory.

• RMweb Premium

"Obviously, the Pre-Grouping diet was much better for maintaining slender female waists."

An acquired taste - and I don't claim to have acquired it - but there is website devoted to corsetting which has many examples of very narrow waists on ladies of the late Victorian and early Edwardian period. I came across it when trying to date some fashions, as its participants seem to be able to date photos from the shape of ladies' sleeves as accurately as we can date locomotive pictures.

And to make amends for yet again going completely off-piste:

post-13650-0-94837900-1548665796.jpeg

Jonathan

• Like 3

"Obviously, the Pre-Grouping diet was much better for maintaining slender female waists."

An acquired taste - and I don't claim to have acquired it - but there is website devoted to corsetting which has many examples of very narrow waists on ladies of the late Victorian and early Edwardian period. I came across it when trying to date some fashions, as its participants seem to be able to date photos from the shape of ladies' sleeves as accurately as we can date locomotive pictures.

And to make amends for yet again going completely off-piste:

attachicon.gif1479731-great-eastern-railway-poster-01.jpeg

Jonathan

I was trying to assimilate the palette used by the poster artist, but then I realised he must have been to "Poppyland"....

A couple of late thoughts, Perhaps its the aftermath of the Wroxham Zombie Apocalypse of 1909*, and nothing is "off-piste" in these parts!

* As mentioned on pages 219-20, together with "Poppyland", Martians AND Hunstanton...

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium

I notice the old boy shaking the drivers hand is giving him the funny handshake with the thumb across the palm, nudge nudge, you one of us?

And another thing, that Perseus is running round fully armoured in bare feet. The dragon only got to put some tintacks down, and he can forget about getting his bolt cutters out.

Edited by Northroader

I notice the old boy shaking the drivers hand is giving him the funny handshake with the thumb across the palm, nudge nudge, you one of us?

And another thing, that Perseus is running round fully armoured in bare feet. The dragon only got to put some tintacks down, and he can forget about getting his bolt cutters out.

It does look like a funny handshake, but the driver is probably palming a sov tip, so as not to let the Stationmaster notice the pecuniary transaction!  And he won't want the fireman to see, so he needn't share it!

As for Perseus. Fully armoured?  It looks more like a sprayed-on latex bodysuit, especially considering the direction of the young womans gaze. There's a bit of obfuscation around his groinal region, but.....

Edited by Hroth

It does look like a funny handshake, but the driver is probably palming a sov tip, so as not to let the Stationmaster notice the pecuniary transaction!  And he won't want the fireman to see, so he needn't share it!

"Ah so, I see now how I must make ze trains run on time! Here is a gold sovereign, und zere is another for you if you can point me to Neville Chamberlain's haus!"

• RMweb Premium

My last GER offering, and the countryside still doesn't exactly look green. Was the artist perhaps colour deficient?

post-13650-0-52657000-1548679369.jpeg

Jonathan

PS It would be nice to get back to modelling sometime this year, whether that superb Drill Hall by our Managing Director or not.

• Like 1

Its a striking colourscape isn't it? An entire swathe of rural England without a single dab of green. Maybe its supposed to be south-west London a few weeks after the Martians landed.

It's surprising how much of England is pleasant but not green. My father once remarked that Dartmoor reminded him of the South African veldt in the dry season.

His moustache would make a perfect profiling angle for the drill hall roof ridge piece.

(I think the gent in the topper with the cane is striding down the platform calling out "Hey, you ruddy Bosche fellow, no smoking in the station don't ye know?")

• RMweb Premium

Obviously, the Pre-Grouping diet was much better for maintaining slender female waists.

It's evidently early 1920s - so the post-Great War age of female liberation...

Gosh!

Aren't we a little behind the Watershed for this kind of image?  :jester:

... speaking of which, the full female nude is a rarity in pre-Raphaelite art; Rossetti's Venus Verticordia was the subject of discussion a "few" pages back - she's the sole example of exposure in his works. 

I think I've repeated this story before but here goes: One evening some Stockport businessmen returning from a day in London by the Manchester express dreamed up a cunning plan to shorten their journey home by bribing the driver to make an unscheduled stop at Cheadle Heath. The driver happily went along with the plan and pocketed their sov. As the train swept down the easy curves of the new fast line from New Mills, the Stockport men started to gather up their belongings - but to their dismay, the train ran on at full speed. On arrival at Manchester Central, they went up to the engine to berate the driver. "Nothing to do with me, Gov, I only came on at Derby".

• Like 1