• RMweb Gold

For no particular reason, the first thing that came into my head when I saw that was Cuckmere Haven.

You are only saying that because I live a couple of miles from said Haven and have a computer rammed with photos of the Cuckmere valley. Some have escaped online http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/502159 but to save you ploughing through a load of non-railway snaps, here's just one.

post-14351-0-68800000-1548591439_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Annie's recent comment reminds me that I meant to point out that railway company posters would more often than not be seen on the lines of other companies as well, in an attempt to lure the locals to visit the area. This will apply especially to posters produced by companies attracting tourism. So Cambrian posters would be fair game on the WNR and on Annie's line - and vice versa. I don't seem to have any Cambrian ones but this is in a similar vein and the right period.

post-13650-0-88992800-1548592699.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Annie's recent comment reminds me that I meant to point out that railway company posters would more often than not be seen on the lines of other companies as well, in an attempt to lure the locals to visit the area. This will apply especially to posters produced by companies attracting tourism. So Cambrian posters would be fair game on the WNR and on Annie's line - and vice versa. I don't seem to have any Cambrian ones but this is in a similar vein and the right period.

attachicon.gifLNWR North Wales.jpg

Jonathan

I think we can do better than that:

post-29416-0-16843100-1548596368.jpg

Not only is the scenery picturesque but the carriages are comfortable too.

• Like 3

I think we can do better than that:

attachicon.gifBest Route for Comfortable Travel.jpg

Not only is the scenery picturesque but the carriages are comfortable too.

And the obviously first class passengers are so involved with stuffing their faces in the dining car that they're paying absolutely NO attention to the picturesqueue scenery!

Is there a poster depicting some of the more average passengers in a 3rd smoking compartment?

• RMweb Premium

And the obviously first class passengers are so involved with stuffing their faces in the dining car that they're paying absolutely NO attention to the picturesqueue scenery!

Is there a poster depicting some of the more average passengers in a 3rd smoking compartment?

What's also struck me as curious is that they appear to be in a Mk2d/e/f air-conditioned carriage - no Midland dining carriage had a window of those proportions!

• Like 3

Me Auntie Mabel could have sent that for four wi' a stick o' rhubarb!  Through the corridor of uncertainty and took middle and off.  Weight all over the place and he's taken his eye off the ball.  Must be an Essex lad on holiday.

If we're going to have posters, then it has to be for a proper railway....

post-21933-0-03952400-1548623607.jpg

A realistic representation of the locale, no bathing beauties, no warped perceptions.

post-21933-0-38762100-1548623663.jpg

Factual, oozing atmosphere!

post-21933-0-45144300-1548623717.jpg

Possibly the best image of any railway!

(Not a poster as such, but just WOW!)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

You are only saying that because I live a couple of miles from said Haven and have a computer rammed with photos of the Cuckmere valley. Some have escaped online http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/502159 but to save you ploughing through a load of non-railway snaps, here's just one.

attachicon.gifCuckmere Haven, the old Coastguard Cottages & The Seven Sisters 8 6 2015.jpg

Yes and no Phil. I was of course aware from your postings that you live in Sussex - so did I once, but to the East of the Cuckmere not the West. The picture just struck me as very similar to the view looking West from the beach. However, I have to say I've no evidence that there were ever any semaphores there.

Notwithstanding all that, a very nice picture anyway.

• RMweb Premium

The only way to travel is by The True Line.

51ebda49eda970885cba430e52870eb9.jpg

Sorry she's not JA or pre-raphaelite, but you can't have everything!

Jim

Did someone mention Pre-Raphaelites?

post-21039-0-04777800-1548629297_thumb.jpg

This is the catalogue from the National Gallery of Australia's current major exhibition, which we visited yesterday.

There are, in my opinion, very few reasons to go to Canberra for the weekend but this was definitely one.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

When Millais was painting Ophelia, his model Elizabeth Siddal had to pose in a bath of water. In the winter.  To stop it going cold, Millais placed lamps under the tub to keep it warm.  On one occasion the lamps went out and Siddal caught a severe cold...

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium

When Millais was painting Ophelia, his model Elizabeth Siddal had to pose in a bath of water. In the winter.  To stop it going cold, Millais placed lamps under the tub to keep it warm.  On one occasion the lamps went out and Siddal caught a severe cold...

Something I didn't know until reading one of the captions yesterday was this (from Wikipedia):

"Colonel Holman Fred Stephens was the son of Frederic George Stephens, Pre-Raphaelite artist and art critic, and his wife the artist Rebecca Clara (née Dalton). He was named after his father's friend and former tutor, the painter Holman Hunt, although the two later fell out. He was a great nephew of the naturalist, explorer and biologist, Charles Darwin."

No wonder the Pre-Raphs and CA are such a good fit.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifRain_Steam_and_Speed_the_Great_Western_Railway.jpg

Possibly the best image of any railway!

(Not a poster as such, but just WOW!)

I spent quite a lot of time gazing at the original painting. Mind you the Turners and Monets were in the same area and most could be seen best by standing back a bit which meant you view kept gwtting interrupted by tourists who I assume had little appreciation of art. The big  Monet of Waterlilies in particular would be pretty meaningless at the distance of the normal tourists.

Don

I just realised that would have been about 50 years ago.  Are the pictures still in the NAtional Gallery come to that is the Gallery still in Trafalgar square ( I think that is still there!). As one of my favourite songs says "Who knows where the time goes"

pps another favourite is I feel Love an ideal accompaniment to one of those Welsh Highland Garrets working hard 

Edited by Donw
  • Like 1