• RMweb Gold

Cow Parsley.

Anthriscus sylvestris.

This stuff is all over the place in May.

May is when CA is supposedly set.

So, I used some long static grass.  First I tried white paint blobs, then some frozen crayon.  Eventually I resorted to flour.  All now stuck to some plastic card ready for clumps to be transplanted onto the layout.  Hopefully it will give the impression of cow parsley from a distance when 'planted'. 

post-25673-0-84093100-1496265226_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-34379800-1496265617_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

Andy Y and the BCB team used this stuff for flowers. I got some from Hobbycraft but not used it yet.

If seen other colours. (White\Blue\Mauve\Yellow)

don't know if they still do it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74645-bcb-the-final-countdown/?p=1168712

Edit :-

https://katysuedesigns.com/crafts/flower-soft-polar-white/

Edited by Shadow

Went into the Hobbycraft shop next to work today and found out that they are no longer stocking the Flower Soft stuff above. But they did have a few odd jars in there sales/discount bins.

£2.00 for the large, £1.00 for the smaller one.

post-3744-0-96872000-1496335171_thumb.jpg

Also found this old Hornby trackside walling for a £1.00.

Bargain shopping day!

post-3744-0-27670000-1496335434_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Edwardian, with a slight twist? K

As the post office is due to feature on bailey Street, I did wonder whether there would be a need for a letter box at all? 

Hay James how did you get on with that silhouette kit of that box van I sent you, did you ever manage to make sense of it all?

I should have drawn you some instructions for it.

Some times its hard to figure out something if you can't see the bigger picture!

Steve

Edited by Londontram

• RMweb Gold

Hay James how did you get on with that silhouette kit of that box van I sent you, did you ever manage to make sense of it all?

I should have drawn you some instructions for it.

Some times its hard to figure out something if you can't see the bigger picture!

Steve

Steve,

Thanks.  My focus has been on the scenic side, hoping to get one of the 4 planned boards more or less complete.  I haven't touched wagons for a good long while, and not since you kindly supplied said kit; I honestly don't know where the time goes.

So, I must plan for a wagon building phase at some point in the near future.

• RMweb Gold

Having carefully teased cow parsley and nettle patches off the plastic card base, I have now planted some weeds around the lower slopes of the castle mound, which, I hope, will help bed the buildings into the scene.  Also to be glimpsed is the ongoing road surfacing work on the part of the Castle Aching RDC.

post-25673-0-35923200-1496483516_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-17227500-1496483626_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I understand Edwardian has been unable to update the topic over the last few days.

I hope the issues affecting this can be resolved as soon as possible so that life in Castle Aching can carry on as normal.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Upset to hear today of another terror outrage on our streets. A tragic event that puts many more trivial concerns into perspective.  Thoughts go to all those affected. In such times as these, we should cherish our innocent pastimes all the more, perhaps.

Work continues on Bailey Street.

I have finally decided upon a trade for Mr Ahern.  He is both a Chemist and Photographer; a combination that, I believe, was not unknown in out of the way places, and which suits the Proprietor, because I believe at one stage Madder Valley boasted the "Dispensing Chemist & Photographic" business of Messrs Holman & Hunt, which, I suppose, makes it pre-Raphaelite, rather than pre-Grouping, but who cares?  

As the shop stood, you could tell it had no interior.  It looked very bare.  Not that you will be able to see a fully modelled interior (this is a small perspective model of a pokey little shop that can generally only be viewed at an angle and from a distance), but it needed some sense of clutter, so I have spared myself every effort and just filled it with printed stuff, the Proprietor, his Shop Assistant, and a Lady Customer. None of which will be at all visible, I daresay, but there is a sense of at least something happening in the shop these days.

I really must complain to the Castle Aching RDC about the state of those flagstones.

Ah well, one step at a time!   

post-25673-0-54032400-1496594262_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-25842800-1496594341_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-41939800-1496594438_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Now where did you get those figures?  I can guess with the proprietor, but not sure about the other two.  If you modified that ladies blouse it is amazing. 

I like the overall effect, very convincing.

• RMweb Gold

Now where did you get those figures?  I can guess with the proprietor, but not sure about the other two.  If you modified that ladies blouse it is amazing. 

I like the overall effect, very convincing.

In a busy topic like this, there is quite a bit of to and fro, and the appearance of my posts is a little delayed, so, for instance, posts have appeared today (Sunday) from 3810 onward - do I need a post box? - so there might be a bit of scrolling up and down for those wanting to catch-up.

Thank you all for the kind comments and ratings.  Very much appreciated.

In reply to Chris, the Proprietor, as you have no doubt guessed, is the chap from the Airfix/Dapol Railway Workers set  who is perpetually pointing.  It would be rude of him to point at customers or staff, so I simply dropped his arm.

The Shop Assistant is a 1920s Lady in the, I'm bound to say, very inelegant process of boarding an aircraft.  She is Preiser.  Fortunately, no one can see that she is bent double behind the counter with indigestion (one too many Acid Drops, I suppose).  

The Lady Customer is the Robert Donat type chap with the rain-coat and the suitcase from the Airfix/Dapol Platform Figures set.  Usual drill; masking tape skirt, paper and sprue boater, but with those nice puffed sleeves, formed using Greenstuff. 

post-25673-0-27580800-1496602682.jpg

post-25673-0-63569200-1496602694.jpg

post-25673-0-64240400-1496602703.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am of the school of thought that something is needed in interiors where you would expect something to be visible. If you wish to avoid the work net curtains in houses and those shop front which block the view of the interior (+notices adverts etc. on the door) will do the job.

I do really like the scene you have created and though we may never get the chance to peer through the shop window we at least now have a picture of the inside. Nicely done. The choice of Chemist and Photographer is somewhat apt for although professionally an Insurance Broker John was a fellow of the Royal Photographic Society  and no doubt had some knowledge of the chemistry of photography at least.

I have a copy of issue 75 of MRJ which featured him and Madder valley. It can be found on the internet I believe. As a boy I would regularly borrow his books from the library probably no longer on their shelves mores the pity.

Don 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I too like what has been done.  Few may be privileged to see it, but you know what is exactly there.

I could draw analogy to members of the opposite sex in various states of undress but I will not

Let's just say that the pleasure is in the knowledge of what actually is there rather than some mental picture of what might be.

Upset to hear today of another terror outrage on our streets. A tragic event that puts many more trivial concerns into perspective.  Thoughts go to all those affected. In such times as these, we should cherish our innocent pastimes all the more, perhaps.

Work continues on Bailey Street.

I have finally decided upon a trade for Mr Ahern.  He is both a Chemist and Photographer; a combination that, I believe, was not unknown in out of the way places, and which suits the Proprietor, because I believe at one stage Madder Valley boasted the "Dispensing Chemist & Photographic" business of Messrs Holman & Hunt, which, I suppose, makes it pre-Raphaelite, rather than pre-Grouping, but who cares?  

As the shop stood, you could tell it had no interior.  It looked very bare.  Not that you will be able to see a fully modelled interior (this is a small perspective model of a pokey little shop that can generally only be viewed at an angle and from a distance), but it needed some sense of clutter, so I have spared myself every effort and just filled it with printed stuff, the Proprietor, his Shop Assistant, and a Lady Customer. None of which will be at all visible, I daresay, but there is a sense of at least something happening in the shop these days.

I really must complain to the Castle Aching RDC about the state of those flagstones.

Ah well, one step at a time!   

A quick question what I am I seeing in the front window of the chemist can't quite make it out?