• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Schooner said:

IIRC, the main line, and first line, ran North from CA, via Birchoverham and yet

• the loop is on the subsequent Achingham branch not the main line, so what happened to the original mainline loop?

Very important point made there. One of the essentials of CA is its internal logic connected to it's history.  

Alan 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is interesting. It's what happens when someone working to a popular wargames scale (28mm, probably 1/56 or thereabouts) using wargame terrain techniques, tackes a typical British outline model railway subject, Nineteenth Century housing.

As the modeller hales from our former North American colonies, I note that he has made some very nice rooves in what look much more like wooden shingles than any British slate or tile (it reminds me of a episode of Murder She Wrote when a nightime scene set in rural Ireland was considerably enlivened by the stock soundtrack cicadas) though he does paint them grey and refer to them as tiles and they turn out pretty well. 

By the way, in case this word is new to you, any references to "spackling" are to his native form of Polyfilla.

So, it's some strong characterful modelling, achieving good results with tecniques not that often employed in our corner of miniature modelling.

The effect acheived in the painting is, to my mind, particualrly successful and demonstrates the importance of a consistent tone and finish at scale.

Worth consideration.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I like this a lot. Wargaming painting and modelling techniques are great. I particularly like the way they offer depth and shadow rather than leaving it to natural light. Makes things look very much more 3D. Loads to pick up on here. 

im with you on the tiles, but hey they look great in the end 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm reminded of the work of Alan Downes. Superb technique but the outcome is an overdrawn caricature.

From my time playing tabletop wargames back in the early 2000s I can tell you that most fantasy wargaming set pieces tend to be somewhat of a caricature rather than being realistic models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 01/09/2024 at 12:09, Compound2632 said:

I'm reminded of the work of Alan Downes. Superb technique but the outcome is an overdrawn caricature.

I would tend to agree but do check out his 4mm model of Houghton Mill, which featured in RM c.1976-77. This showed that he was easily capable of achieving the level of Pendon and in about 1/10th the time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CKPR said:

I would tend to agree but do check out his 4mm model of Houghton Mill, which featured in RM c.1976-77. This showed that he was easily capable of achieving the level of Pendon and in about 1/10th the time.

RM June 1976.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2