• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

But hey, I'm a Midland enthusiast - I like my engines BIG!

That's a bit of an odd statement from a Midlander. Big engines? Don't pull my plonker!

Andy G

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, uax6 said:

That's a bit of an odd statement from a Midlander. Big engines? Don't pull my plonker!

I think thats in comparison with those on a Welsh narrow gauge line....  :jester:

4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

526888971_20160325003BigMerinoGoulburn.JPG.1f0a0c4633b169b29f7539199cf7b6d6.JPG

Looks constipated to me....

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I was being to literal re. Cromford - it probably means, the C&HP line. If Buxton, then Stockport means the LNWR line, officially the Stockport, Disley & Whaley Bridge, Buxton Extension. 

Buxton North Junction (a LNWR box). 

Sorry to be a page or so behind the topics.

Yes it is Buxton, Derbyshire, not Norfolk (where stepfather-in-law first thought they might downsize after retirement )

I'm not too sure what the names of Junctions were.  As I understand it, the two LNWR boxes were No 1- the one nearest the station at the bottom of the triangle, and No 2 was at the top of the triangle. The RCH diagram shews another junction just S of the LNW shed. Does this map help?

415914629_BuxtonSBs.jpg.e4903d65dc5cd3665253a355939c3541.jpg

The 25 inch OS map is from National library of Scotland: XV.13 (Burbage; Buxton; Fairfield), Revised: 1897, Published: 1898

The kids used to be taken off occasionally by Grandpa Tom to Buxton No 2, but more usually to Peak Forest, where he'd spent the war years (he was born at Wormhill like James Brindley the canal builder)

revisions:

1 source and date of NLoS map added

2 LNW SB Nos. corrected i.e. No 2 is the big one near the station (as per Tom's own recollection and literature check Bentley & Fox (RMweb's own Coachman) books 

Edited by runs as required
Revisions after literature search
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think thats in comparison with those on a Welsh narrow gauge line....  :jester:

Looks constipated to me....

It is to be hoped it stays that way.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Sorry to be a page or so behind the topics.

Yes it is Buxton, Derbyshire, not Norfolk (where stepfather-in-law first thought they might downsize after retirement )

I'm not too sure what the names of Junctions were.  As I understand it, the two LNWR boxes were No 1- the one nearest the station at the bottom of the triangle, and No 2 was at the top of the triangle. The RCH diagram shews another junction just N of the LNW shed. Does this map help?

183950373_BuxtonSBs.jpg.540a39d5db50a090e3ea023908f4953a.jpg

The kids used to be taken off occasionally by Grandpa Tom to Buxton No 1, but more usually to Peak Forest, where he'd spent the war years (he was born at Wormhill like James Brindley the canal builder)

There's another spur on the OS map that isn't on the RCH diagram - I suspect that the OS map is from a later date. My guess is that the lever plates came from No 2 box as you've described it.. The "Cromford" reference would be to the Ashbourne line via the spur not shown by the RCH.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It is to be hoped it stays that way.

There's a McDonald's behind it, so covering that with a load of semi-liquid concrete might please some people.

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Annie said:

I've got a terrible itch to try and put one of my Terriers into that livery, but with their complex texturing it wouldn't be easy.

It has a bigger brother:

spacer.png

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Regularity said:

It has a bigger brother:

spacer.png

Nice to see it in its original Rother Valley condition, with the numeral 3 on the bunker surrounded by a garter and no coal rails. If I get round to building either the first GER set, which she was seen with more than once, or a trio of Hurst Nelson 4 wheelers (I have one of the HN brake vans), I'd be tempted to back date my Bodiam model to this condition.

317074444_Northiam(31)-Copy.JPG.df1bfe1ab9936d134275c8500ed942ae.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

There's another spur on the OS map that isn't on the RCH diagram - I suspect that the OS map is from a later date. My guess is that the lever plates came from No 2 box as you've described it.. The "Cromford" reference would be to the Ashbourne line via the spur not shown by the RCH.

Agree - that's the box I meant, I called it Buxton North Junction because that's what the Midland distance diagram called it; No. 2 is a much more LNWR style of description. A quick google shows that the plates are of LNWR style.

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

It has a bigger brother:

spacer.png

What colour does he call that Corrall wagon? I accept it may be a flight of fancy; POWSides go with red or, I think later, grey.

• Like 2

On 12/05/2020 at 19:16, Edwardian said:

Outed!

119769384_RasRStudy2.jpg.5f783f3b32c44405d54c6206327357d6.jpg

21 hours ago, runs as required said:

How on earth did you spot that ! ?

The picture was supposed to shew how far I have come in straightening out my life since you last held your nose when you entered.

Well, now, that was very cheeky of me, I admit, but what was worse, I did it with the knowledge of my own Guilty Secrets ...

IMG_9262.JPG.cb87e04bb9bd2ce4468531ec35b3cbc5.JPG

Mind you, none of them is intended to remain as the Devil and Oxford Rail intended them; I have Definite Plans for three of them.  If I am feeling sufficiently Skillful and Courageous after that, I might try to convert the fourth to a Dean Goods. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

I’ve probably bored with this before, but about forty years ago, when I was compiling a list of every sprig of railway in East Sussex, I met a very old lady whose father had driven RVR No.3 from St Leonard’s to Robertsbridge for delivery. In the top drawer of a dresser, she still had the half-crown that Stephens had given her father as a tip. More germane to my task at the time, she had clear memories of an 18” gauge tramway that linked her family farm to a pumping station.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 10

20 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve probably bored with this before, but about forty years ago, when I was compiling a list of every sprig of railway in East Sussex, I met a very old lady whose father had driven RVR No.3 from St Leonard’s to Robertsbridge for delivery

A lovely story, I'd not heard before 

20 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

In the top drawer of a dresser, she still had the half-crown that Stephens had given her father as a tip. 

That must have knocked a couple of percent off the company's dividends.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Arcadia for me was Martin Brent's layouts of that name in EM and 7mm. A very sad loss far too young. The K&ESR was one of the inspirations. 

Don

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Donw said:

Arcadia for me was Martin Brent's layouts of that name in EM and 7mm. A very sad loss far too young. The K&ESR was one of the inspirations. 

Don

Richard knew him, and named the layout in his honour.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Agree - that's the box I meant, I called it Buxton North Junction because that's what the Midland distance diagram called it; No. 2 is a much more LNWR style of description. A quick google shows that the plates are of LNWR style.

• Agree about the plates but they are not from the Box at the end of the Midland curve onto the LNW
  • I'm sorry I didn't properly check before doing those Photoshop maps last night. 
    It is in fact as 'owd Tom' said stuff "rescued" from LNW Buxton No2 the box at the south of the triangle.
    I have now corrected the map in the original post.
  • Parsley Hay to Ashbourne wasn't opened until August 1899 according to G.K.Fox (Coachman) , later than the OS map.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Regularity said:

Richard knew him, and named the layout in his honour.

In that case I may know Richard too the name seems familiar. I got to know Martin personally (as against speaking to him at exhibitions before) when they moved to Ledbury.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, runs as required said:
  • Agree about the plates but they are not from the Box at the end of the Midland curve onto the LNW
  • I'm sorry I didn't properly check before doing those Photoshop maps last night. 
    It is in fact as 'owd Tom' said stuff "rescued" from LNW Buxton No2 the box at the south of the triangle.
    I have now corrected the map in the original post.
  • Parsley Hay to Ashbourne wasn't opened until August 1899 according to G.K.Fox (Coachman) , later than the OS map.

Now I'm confused. No. 2 box, the box on the south side of the triangle, doesn't control any connection with the Midland, so what's "Midland Home"? The box at the north side of the triangle makes more sense.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Hunny ?

Marmalade surely.

Adriam

You’re right, mixing my Poohs with my Paddingtons. “This train is going to London, Pooh Corner” mmm??

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2