• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Prised the others off their plinths today...

20240702_093230-Copy.jpg.6102f858655694118c61f5603e0c970c.jpg

20240702_093700.jpg.579574296bef64025022b860cdd59b00.jpg

I am just so impressed with these.

20240702_093141-Copy.jpg.cbc2312ae2744eaa85920b81e5823698.jpg

20240702_093618-Copy.jpg.1bdd2564ed9d51d79c7606e5b0d0735c.jpg

20240702_093515-Copy.jpg.aef48aa992ee18eff15d60ad03fdbe18.jpg

I hadn't bought much RTR stuff, the only recent motive power was when the 9-year wait for the Kernow SRM finally came to an end (Kernow being Kernow, even without Dave Jones's help they managed to fluff it). But now these pre-orders have all come home to roost.

This means I am now feeling extravagant and, therefore, much guilty.

But, then again, they are lovely.....   

20240702_093919.jpg.b53dff31dd8322082f98d6a51f5917a3.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Too many things going on - work, annual accounts, university open days, finishing first draft of a novel - to model, but I thought I would cheer myself up by breaking out some Pecketts to compare with the new Hawthorn Leslies.

20240707_123734-Copy.jpg.0e9efb86098e3b9711241931a8841d4c.jpg

As the Parish knows, I like rescuing old scratch-built buildings that no one else wants.

This one filled a pre-existing yen for an US-inspired goods shed such as Ahern used on Madder Valley.

20240707_122924.jpg.2e62c39bc674925fb2355fa6b344ee6f.jpg

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

If it's a roman-à-clef based on the participants of an online forum, you will be hearing from my lawyers.

I'd tell you more, only the first rule of the Barnard Castle Writers' Group is you don't talk about the Barnard Castle Writers' Group.

Oh, b*gger

• Like 3
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...

An inspirational collection of images, thank you for posting.

As an aside, and this is slightly ‘tongue in cheek’, most heritage railways include a stack of vintage suitcases on platforms etc. to reinforce the period atmosphere. It is most unlikely that heritage sites would be the target of a terrorist outrage but on the national network, and other public services, we are constantly warned to never leave luggage unattended!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Deeps said:

An inspirational collection of images, thank you for posting.

As an aside, and this is slightly ‘tongue in cheek’, most heritage railways include a stack of vintage suitcases on platforms etc. to reinforce the period atmosphere. It is most unlikely that heritage sites would be the target of a terrorist outrage but on the national network, and other public services, we are constantly warned to never leave luggage unattended!

In the good old bad old 70s there were notices telling you what to do if you saw some unattended baggage on the station. Someone wrote on one "go up and talk to her".

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

This arrived yesterday. It is a LT&SR luggage brake. It was drawn up and added to the Worsley Works range at my request, so my thanks go to Allen Doherty.

The addition of this vehicle to the existing LT&SR range allows me to make a 5-coach mainline set for the WNR: Luggage Break / First / Second / Third / Break Third.

The body style is very 1880s, though the design was long-lived on the LT&SR. They were to my eyes unusual prototypes in combining this style with electric lighting from new.

Re-imagined as typical 1880s carriages, built with, and retaining, gas lighting, in both style and dimensions they represent a logical progression for the WNR from the 1870s carriages that have been 3D printed by Gary at Oak Hill. 

20240720_091203.jpg.10622e8f81e91a5d4badc4842c9bf67f.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

You're going to enjoy soldering that up. I see its three layer paneling, but I'm surprised that the layer with the top of the body on, doesn't go down to floor level....

Andy G

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, uax6 said:

You're going to enjoy soldering that up. I see its three layer paneling, but I'm surprised that the layer with the top of the body on, doesn't go down to floor level....

Andy G

Yes, I have much to look forward to!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

54 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

Could that be to make forming the turnunder easier? Only curving the lower part, before attaching it to the upper (flat) part? That way you know the curve will only go as far as it's supposed to.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Skinnylinny said:

Could that be to make forming the turnunder easier? Only curving the lower part, before attaching it to the upper (flat) part? That way you know the curve will only go as far as it's supposed to.

Possibly, but there is then the issue that you need to solder the two together first I would think, before forming the tumblehome, if you do it the other way round getting the joint flat could be an issue. 

Andy G

3 hours ago, uax6 said:

Possibly, but there is then the issue that you need to solder the two together first I would think, before forming the tumblehome, if you do it the other way round getting the joint flat could be an issue. 

Not if you do it with the parts upside down, i.e. with the top section face down and then the lower section, with turn under formed, trapped under the half etched lower lip.  John Boyles 4-wheeled CR coaches with three layer panelling had separate sections for the lower panels which fitted into half-etched recesses in the bodyside.  they were etched in a row so you could form the turn under on them all at the same time.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

It’s the style of panelling, think GNR or NBR. The lower half panels are flush with upper half mouldings, then the lower half mouldings are raised strips on top of the panels. The kit is done so that you only have a two thickness etch for both halves, if it was a complete body side it would need a three thickness etch, which don’t happen. If you carry the upper half down to the bottom, a lot more material is needed, and the etch would be larger (and dearer)

IMG_0674.jpeg.1e1e92ff04d682695efaecbcccb51749.jpeg

(now where did I nick that photo from?)

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Northroader said:

It’s the style of panelling, think GNR or NBR. The lower half panels are flush with upper half mouldings, then the lower half mouldings are raised strips on top of the panels. The kit is done so that you only have a two thickness etch for both halves, if it was a complete body side it would need a three thickness etch, which don’t happen. If you carry the upper half down to the bottom, a lot more material is needed, and the etch would be larger (and dearer)

IMG_0674.jpeg.1e1e92ff04d682695efaecbcccb51749.jpeg

(now where did I nick that photo from?)

Yes, the waist beading does not surround a recessed panel, so is on the same plane as the upper body beading that does surround recessed panelling. 

I note that some companies, e.g. GNR and MS&LR, have this raised beading continue below the waist. More common - perhaps a typically 1870s style for many companies - is to restrict the raised beading to the waist.

In such cases, there is sometimes a step down below the beading. The 7mm model below is of an 1870s LSWR prototype. It is one of the LSWR carriages derived from the MC&WR-built examples that I have used for WNR's 1870s carriages (the difference in these LSWR-built version is that the quarterlights have 4 radiussed corners). 

image.png.e49a5e99853abdb057ecab5b5947a36f.pngLSWRdetail.png.e0d5068a9809317b9e77a001fd9ec484.png

On GER examples, I do not see such a step down below the waist beading.

image.png.ba5b8daa03fe4c79936f0c63c6081451.png

image.png.c542cddd1cac1c5b6d562b0302a5df26.png

The LT&SR carriages are in some respects fairly close to GER practice, and like them, they do not appear to have any step down below the waist beading.

Not that this matters to me, because I am using these as late 1870s/early 1880s freelance carriages, but Allen seems to have captured the LT&SR body style perfectly.

The LT&SR 4-wheel carriages in this style were introduced in 1876, but built through to the 1890s without any apparent update in their style.

In the context of the WNR, we have the following stylistic progression:

- The MC&WCo 1872 4-wheel stock, now (1905) largely confined to branch sets

- The WNR-built late 1870s/early 1880s 4-wheel stock for which I want to use these LT&SR etches. I think they will be used on local stopping mainline services. 

- The missing link. I want some mid 1880s 6-wheel carriages. These should retain the large radius tops to windows, but introduce recessed waist panels 

- Mid 1890s 6-wheel carriages, which will utilise the Hattons 6-wheel carriages.

In addition, there will be tram carriages, the odd old Joseph Wright survivor still in service and some second-hand purchases.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 16Brunel said:

Relative to you or the WNR?

- Scott

The WNR, which suffered a financial crisis around the turn of the Twentieth Century.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The WNR, which suffered a financial crisis around the turn of the Twentieth Century.

1,397 pages ago, it says this:

An attempt by the West Norfolk to develop Shepherd's Port, on the west coast, as a rival to Hunstanton, failed however. The West Norfolk, which had upgraded and extended its line to the nearby coal port at Wolfringham Staithe for the purpose, lost heavily as its investment in infrastructure, new stock and the construction of Shepherd Port's Grand Hotel, did not produce the expected returns. This could not have come at a worse time for the West Norfolk, which had built a number of new lines, some of considerable length, during the preceding decade and a half, and had been obliged to borrow significantly in order to do so and to finance the additional stock needed to run these routes. Towards the end of the century the West Norfolk had also needed to renew a considerable mileage of the original 1850s-1860s permanent way. Thus, the failure of the Shepherd's Port scheme was very nearly the straw that broke the camel's back. The failure of Shepherd's Port marked the turn of the century as a time of straightened circumstances for this generally prosperous line, though the company's finances had largely recovered by the mid 1900s.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

In my defence, details have been tweaked over time, usually as new details emerge - it's called evolution, and is right and just.  Also James has been know to occasionally - and fruitfully - troll through eBay etc.  And finally, if we're getting picky, 1397 pages before page 1397 suggests page 0 (zero). 😁

- S.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 16Brunel said:

Also James has been know to occasionally - and fruitfully - troll through eBay e

Dunno wot you mean...

20240723_140138-Copy.jpg.7fa8c6291df1704df61c32ea105554e2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I've always wondered how Singles had enough grip to be viable.  They remind me of when my then-4yo son was riding his bike around on holiday along the paths within a caravan park at which we were staying.  He tried to cross a small dip, such as where a shallow puddle might form in the rain, when he got stuck - he was suddenly suspended by only the front wheel and the rear training wheels, pedalling hard while going nowhere! 🙂  Would the passengers of a train in such straits have to get out and push?  Admittedly the loco (at least the prototype) has spring suspension, whilst his bike was definitely rigid-framed.

- Scott

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1