• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Be careful what you wish for. Hylas is seen here in the process of being abducted by the nymphs who will hold hold under water to prevent his lover Heracles from hearing his screams. Like many Greek myths, it's more than a little misogynistic.

Ah, but what a way to go...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Be careful what you wish for. Hylas is seen here in the process of being abducted by the nymphs who will hold hold under water to prevent his lover Heracles from hearing his screams. Like many Greek myths, it's more than a little misogynistic.

But all they wanted was a toyboy to call their own, they didn't drown him and he stayed of his own accord, being abducted by seven redheaded nymphs must have tickled his fancy.

Allegedly...  :jester:

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

... all they wanted was a toyboy to call their own, they didn't drown him and he stayed of his own accord ...

I say I say I say My wife has gone off to the West Indies

Where?

Jamaica?

No she went of her own accord

Now who first said that? Ned Seagoon Spike Milligan? Variants here

dh

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, runs as required said:

I say I say I say My wife has gone off to the West Indies

Where?

Jamaica?

No she went of her own accord

Now who first said that? Ned Seagoon Spike Milligan? Variants here

dh

A. My wife went to Indonesia.

B. Jakarta?

A. No, she flew like everyone else.

I thank you.

• Funny 2

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 07:28, RedGemAlchemist said:

Agreed. If only I could be greeted by a bevy of beautiful women in my bathroom... :jester:

Not sure that the collective noun is correct.

Should we not be celebrating a 'planet full' of beautiful women, who come in all ages and shapes?

• RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2020 at 01:49, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Damn - I never had that reception committee the last time I took a bath. :O

The only things I find to disapprove of, or worse still to be inappropriate, are the people who find things to disapprove of or to be inappropriate.

I'm afraid we are shaping up for a period of prudery and puritanical behaviour unheard of in centuries. I suspect it's all those C pass students, who thought a major in following fashionable theories was the high point of intellectual endeavour, finally getting their revenge on those of us who took our education seriously and were able to follow our chosen careers in things much more exotic and interesting. 

Have you ever read the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey & Maturin novels?

Jack Aubrey is an easy-going Eighteenth Century type who hasn't quite caught up with early Nineteenth Century mores.  Notions of "respectability" on the part of an ascendant Middle Class together with religious Evangelism were the drivers of social distancing from the "Lower Orders" (compare O'Brien's depiction of Anson and his crew in the early Eighteenth Century), exaggerated notions of "propriety" (see Jane Austen's novels), and strict Christian morality (that led to the inhumane hypocrisy that Dickens and Wilkie Collins so loathed).

Now, in the main, these early Nineteenth Century trends were not inherently bad things, and no doubt our society benefited from the comfort and charity a religious revival brings and of the civilising effect of manners, but, like everything else, there was a negative side, too.  Our social and political assessments and commentaries are still hopelessly binary.  We still want to say that so-and-so was either good or bad, when it's generally going to be both.

With social meeja's race to the bottom to call out and excoriate crimes of expression, both real and imagined, and its platform for "virtue-signalling" prigs the world over, I feel increasingly like Jack Aubrey at times.

These days tolerance, consideration and respect for others, and courtesy still go a long way, and I prefer them to badging myself with "isms", but, alas, they are insufficient to guarantee safety.

What Orwell, and the rest of us, failed to predict is that, via Social Media, we would each become the other's Big Brother, constantly hunting out thought crimes and meeting out reputational death.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

We're in danger of rising to the level of the Jokes thread here.

Its just a silly phase we're going through.

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Should we not be celebrating a 'planet full' of beautiful women, who come in all ages and shapes?

In general, that's ok but if a bunch of nymphs turned up, then the grouping would certainly be a bevy!

Edited by Hroth
Freudian slips...
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, wagonman said:

Mmm, and doesn't it show!

There's quite a lot showing though more discreetly than in Waterhouse's version; was it the feminism, suffragism, or Alma-Tademaism to which you were referring?

• Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There's quite a lot showing though more discreetly than in Waterhouse's version; was it the feminism, suffragism, or Alma-Tademaism to which you were referring?

The latter of course...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its just a silly phase we're going through.

In general, that's ok but if a bunch of nymphs turned up, then the grouping would certainly be a bevy!

For those who missed it, Hroth's "Freudian slip" (or so he claims!) was:

"if a bunch of nymphs turned up, then the groping would certainly be a bevy!"

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Freudian slip

I was irremediably corrupted at the age of 17 by an A-level General Studies past paper multiple choice question that offered as one definition of Freudian slip "a garment that reveals more than it conceals".

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I was irremediably corrupted at the age of 17 by an A-level General Studies past paper multiple choice question that offered as one definition of Freudian slip "a garment that reveals more than it conceals".

Gosh we are straying a long way from the WNR here.

Freud is alleged to have claimed “There is no such thing as a Joke” - to which Jimmy Connolly (married to a shrink) is said to have responded “That is because he never played the Glasgow Empire on a Saturday night”

dh

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Gosh we are straying a long way from the WNR here.

Well, to get us back to at least the leveller, wetter bits of East Anglia, whilst still having Hylas' nymphs in mind, it's worth noting that they are fair-seeming relatives of that noted fenland mere-dweller, Grendel's mother. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, to get us back to at least the leveller, wetter bits of East Anglia, whilst still having Hylas' nymphs in mind, it's worth noting that they are fair-seeming relatives of that noted fenland mere-dweller, Grendel's mother. 

And relatively 'armless to boot....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose in modern terms Hylas might be a rather shy young lad waylaid by a well tanked up henparty.

Not speaking from experience here Henparties were not the norm when I was a young lad and groups of women would have behaved much more reserved.

Don

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Donw said:

I suppose in modern terms Hylas might be a rather shy young lad waylaid by a well tanked up henparty.

Dragged headfirst through the open window of a stretch limo, never to be seen again.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 5