• RMweb Premium

The trouble is that all this debate about GWR colours means I'll probably never get round to building this one, which has been in the queue for a long time waiting for folk to make their minds up.

991273221_ccgwro5.JPG.1ccd72284597c16b22e42d7fea5372d4.JPG

A whole £2.50. I could just put a large wagon sheet over it I suppose. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave John said:

The trouble is that all this debate about GWR colours means I'll probably never get round to building this one, which has been in the queue for a long time waiting for folk to make their minds up.

991273221_ccgwro5.JPG.1ccd72284597c16b22e42d7fea5372d4.JPG

A whole £2.50. I could just put a large wagon sheet over it I suppose. 

Back-date to a pre-diagram 4-plank and paint it red (the cast plate O5s were built slap bang in the middle of the debatable years).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Back-date to a pre-diagram 4-plank and paint it red (the cast plate O5s were built slap bang in the middle of the debatable years).

@Dave John, if you decide to go pre-plate - about 20,000 built that way, at a rough guess:

1018971982_GW4-plankopenNo.64508.JPG.927772daabf041051c797835921dd8f3.JPG

- I'd be very happy to relieve you of the G.W.R / numberplate moldings!

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I had a statue specially commissioned for my study:

946721652_StrahovLibraryTheologicalHall.jpg.5ac6b39188a92a0039c5dd3aa4cc62e9.jpg

It's entitled "Mikkel Kjartan discovers conclusive proof that Great Western wagons were painted grey from 1894".

@Mikkel!

Nice study!  Actually I like the grey livery better, so wouldn't mind from an aestethic point of view :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I had a statue specially commissioned for my study:

"And with a little study you can go a long way!"

Just think how far one could get with that one......  :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Are they really pronounced xxxxhuff?

As a southerner, French practically, from where you are, I would pronounce them (in fact have done) xxxxhaw.

Perhaps with their accent it comes out closer to xxxxhow and sounds like the town Slough  or  would they pronounce Slough closer to Slaw ( like Coleslaw)

My favourite pronounciation is GHOTI  GH as in rough O as in women and TI as in Station so GHOTI rhymes with DISH. 

Isn't it every Englishman's birthright to mispronounce any word as he/she sees fit.

Don

• Funny 2

In the north east Haugh is often more -Hoff than -huff I'd say. Although redheugh (and other heughs) almost gets a 

-yuff or hyuff, and Houghall in durham is Huffle/hoffle (but then I might not be saying those that correctly as I'm from the middle of northumberland).

Unusual pronunciations survive as a very easy marker for identifying non natives - A southerner once very politely asked where cowpen was. Sadly for them the place where my great grandparents lived is pronounced coop'n.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Donw said:

My favourite pronounciation is GHOTI  GH as in rough O as in women and TI as in Station so GHOTI rhymes with DISH. 

Isn't it every Englishman's birthright to mispronounce any word as he/she sees fit.

No English words actually begin with “gh” sounding like an f, though, and “ti” is only “sh” as part of “-tion”, so sadly so that doesn’t actually work.

Our spelling isn’t completely haphazard, although we do manage to have about 100 ways of representing 46 distinct sounds...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Re suitable RR kits, afraid not. Plenty of drawings though in Welsh Railways Archive mainly, though a few in "Rhymney Railway Drawings" (Lightmoor/WRRC).

Most of the drawings were produced by me from originals unsuitable for publication so I'll PM you.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Are they really pronounced xxxxhuff?

As a southerner, French practically, from where you are, I would pronounce them (in fact have done) xxxxhaw.

I still speak 'estuary' from my Essex Council school infancy.

But sticking to railways, it appears to me that Redheugh (the original Gateshead terminal of the N&C) gets pronounced on Tyneside as 'Redheuch' (as in Scottish Loch) or even it seems 'Redhugh' (as in the boy's name).

I wonder whether it is rather like the Arabic (or Maltese) 'q' which always defeats me.     (e.g. "Luqa airport please/ Loo-a airport please)

I used to have an architectural tutor called Clough Williams Ellis at Liverpool; he pronounced himself 'Cluff'

dh

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes, single-sided. The kit contains the necessary parts though I made a replacement V-hanger to sit at the right height - see here and following posts.

I may say that this is an excellent summary and modelling guide, taking together the post initial post and the adoption and adaption of  Miss Prism's 'V' hangar information.

Indeed, I shall not hesitate to use it as my aide memoire when modelling these wagons.  I plan to attempt two GWR goods trains.  They will both be pre-pool, so predominantly GWR wagons.  I have been building up kits for these:

- Early 1900s: Mainly 3-planks and pre-diagram 4-planks - all red

- Early 1910s: Mainly a mix of 4-planks, O4s and O2s - all grey, large initials.

The problem comes with the cast plate era wagons. Red or Grey?  Even if originally red, some plates seem to be used into the grey era. 

I did attempt to summarise, somewhere on RMWeb, the evidence on this issue.  I cannot find it now. No matter, it was in the main a collation of references found in Atkins et al and on Miss Prism's excellent site, which tackles the livery issue and features some of Mikkel's excellent work, and, thus, to which I would unhestitatingly direct the Savant in search of Enlightenment: GWR Red Wagon Livery 

It seems to me that the possible dodge is to avoid wagons built, say 1898-1903 in the early train, which is fine, I suppose, if I deem it c.1900.  So, if wagons were painted grey from some point in the 1890s, these were wagons that did not make it into my train!  In other words I avoid the most recently built wagons that would have been around in 1900 and rely on the fact that, even if grey came in before 1900, the vast majority of wagons would still be red at that date.

As this corresponds with the Full Glory (no apologies for Unnecessary Capitalisation here) of the pre-1906 lined/Indian red-framed loco livery for goods as well as passenger classes, I thing the effort would be worthwhile. A round-top firebox Dean and an Armstrong Standard Goods in this livery is worth sweating through a number of imperfectly designed Cooper Craft kits, IMHO.  

However, WNR matters must be attended to first. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1