• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Unfortunately I fear that such a three way choice could make the situation more muddied - if that were possible.

Assuming no significant change on the original position, let us assume that the three way vote goes as follows:

Revoke article 50 - 46% - I have reduced from the 48% because some will consider a second referendum as anti-democratic and while they voted remain they now take a leave position because that was the first result.

Leave with no deal 28%

Leave with a TM type deal 26%

So clearly we stay in the EU except that 54% voted for a leave option.

Earlier someone mentioned 100% adult suffrage, but while that is largely the case it is not completely accurate.  Recent elections and the referendum have disenfranchised a number of people living (temporarily or permanently) abroad due to the late or sometimes complete failure to deliver the voting papers.  Further there is a group (myself included) who have lost their right to vote in the UK.  A German retains his right to vote in German elections for life no matter where he lives, an American retains his right to vote similarly, a Frenchman not only retains his right to vote while living abroad but also has a specific member of the government to represent him.  Unusually or perhaps uniquely A British citizen who leaves the UK loses all rights to vote in the UK after 15 years - no matter how close the ties to the UK may or may not be.

the-scream.jpg

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Unfortunately I fear that such a three way choice could make the situation more muddied - if that were possible.

Assuming no significant change on the original position, let us assume that the three way vote goes as follows:

Revoke article 50 - 46% - I have reduced from the 48% because some will consider a second referendum as anti-democratic and while they voted remain they now take a leave position because that was the first result.

Leave with no deal 28%

Leave with a TM type deal 26%

So clearly we stay in the EU except that 54% voted for a leave option.

Earlier someone mentioned 100% adult suffrage, but while that is largely the case it is not completely accurate.  Recent elections and the referendum have disenfranchised a number of people living (temporarily or permanently) abroad due to the late or sometimes complete failure to deliver the voting papers.  Further there is a group (myself included) who have lost their right to vote in the UK.  A German retains his right to vote in German elections for life no matter where he lives, an American retains his right to vote similarly, a Frenchman not only retains his right to vote while living abroad but also has a specific member of the government to represent him.  Unusually or perhaps uniquely A British citizen who leaves the UK loses all rights to vote in the UK after 15 years - no matter how close the ties to the UK may or may not be.

See here. Your choices in the CA parish referendum are now:

• a toy train
  • a picture of Miss J. Agutter
  • pyramids

or any combination thereof.

BTW everybody, yesterday evening I was granted a peek at Castle Aching in the flesh. The structure modelling is even more exquisite in the flesh than we have seen in photos.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

I will abstain, whatever choice I make will be ultimately divisive.

Don't do that. In this referendum, you can choose all three:

1226006503_Toytrain.jpg.6aeea80d70d96cc0ec91a995e14986df.jpg

2042447788_MissJAgutter.jpg.9094203ae4cdc68666e0f7ef3e929460.jpg

437362287_PyramidTombstone.jpg.7206b758b5e912809f8f2ca3ffbf0639.jpg

Offence is most likely given by making an insufficient number of choices!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yep - Miss A's pyramids are models of their kind...

I thought about that but felt parishioners would prefer a side elevation.

1 minute ago, Regularity said:

You get two of those in one hit, in the early scenes of “The Railway Children”.

I'm hoping you mean, what I already posted...

Edited by Compound2632
Side and front elevations are required for accurate modelling...
  • Like 1

And, the third is, if I'm not mistaken, the tomb of Charles Piazzi-Smyth.

This book review is almost as good as having the book, and will interest some, I'm sure https://www.newgrange.com/tara-ark-of-the-covenant.htm

Mr O'Doolite holds that they had it all wrong, because they misunderstood Tara's significance, and that the proper place to have looked is further to the west, at the place Geoffrey of Monmouth identified as being where Stonehenge was before it moved to Salisbury Plain (he probably meant that the function moved, not the physical site).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Regularity said:

You get two of those in one hit, in the early scenes of “The Railway Children”.

but a less revealing shot of JA. Besides why skimp on photos.  Here is one by way of nothing more than it being top quality modelling.  It can be found on here see Wenlock's Blog. It is of course dangerously on topic being the right period although it is set in Dorset rather distant from Norfolk and 7mm. Taken at the RMweb Swag meet two years ago.

Sherton.jpg.c58174a4d54a341b50b1e75a25e2104d.jpg 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

And, the third is, if I'm not mistaken, the tomb of Charles Piazzi-Smyth.

This book review is almost as good as having the book, and will interest some, I'm sure https://www.newgrange.com/tara-ark-of-the-covenant.htm

Mr O'Doolite holds that they had it all wrong, because they misunderstood Tara's significance, and that the proper place to have looked is further to the west, at the place Geoffrey of Monmouth identified as being where Stonehenge was before it moved to Salisbury Plain (he probably meant that the function moved, not the physical site).

This is the kind of stuff  I escaped into CA  as a parishioner to savour.

It was primed for me anew this week by Melvyn Bragg's "In Our Time" BBC podcast on John Nelson Darby (1800-1882) and 'the Rapture'  and its effect on US popular culture - I found it to be literally "unbelievable". 

i first heard of "British Israelites" when visiting Malawi with my (Commie) boss to collect a brief for a new university promised by Barbara Castle for the former capital Zomba in 1965. 

It was a weird place: dank crumbling old colonial bungalows half buried in a steep mountain side culminating in a high altitude temperate plateau of Scottish pine plantations. 

Several residents were ancient old Colonial officers (or their widows) who’d “stayed on”.  They cowered away in dark interiors amongst cane furniture stuck in old sardine tins filled with paraffin to ‘deter the termites’. 

“They’ll be British Israelites” my boss muttered darkly to me; he wouldn’t say more.  It took me a long time to uncover more – but the whole is an extraordinary cult 

This is the link to a dubious British Israelism Wiki page

Between 1899 and 1902, adherents of British Israelism dug up parts of the Irish Hill of Tara in the belief that the Ark of the Covenant was buried there, doing much damage to one of Ireland's most ancient royal and archaeological sites. 

At the same time, British Israelism became associated with various pseudo-archaeological pyramidology theories, such as the notion that the Pyramid of Khufu contained a prophetic numerology of the British peoples.

And the World HQ is just down the road in Bishop Aukland !

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Sloughs are generally ‘of Despond’, rather than ‘of Paralysis’, but it probably amounts to much the same thing.

i can easily (well not easily, the sunlight uplands are quite steep) cycle round ‘Bunyan Country’ from where I live, and I’ve often wondered exactly which place he had in mind, because it would be good to have one of those village signs celebrating a literary connection saying “welcome to Stewartby the Slough of Despond” (Stewartby is a near-random pick, based on its location down in the damp vale).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

As in the countries of the United Kingdom we have have never had a thorough-going revolution, 

And how much have John Lilburn, (and two centuries later) the Chartists, contributed to our present system?

Please excuse my post above risking a return to the controversial matters discussed above, I have only just caught up with this rapidly moving thread. (Although I have enjoyed Mr Edwardian's features on our current legal and constitutional  position and anyway what is wrong with the Whig view of history?)

Of course, sometimes a subject which causes great controversy at one time becomes incomprehensible a few years later. Does anyone have information about the 'Gauge War' riots in Barnstaple in the mid 19th century?

I'm sorry that I have no pictures of Ms A available on this computer.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1