• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

You mean his baseboards were heaped with dead Frenchmen and a crowd of Belgians were picking them over and pulling the teeth from the cadavers?

Dare I mention (probably yet again) that the reason the plucky Belgins Belgians were after the teeth was that there was a lucrative export market for said commodity for making dentures. So much so that in the decade following the battle, dentures were known as "Waterloo Teeth".

Basically, the "dentist" made an impression of the patients mouth using something like gutta-percha which was then used to make an approximate plaster model, which was handed over to a goldsmith to form a gold baseplate to which posts were soldered. These held the teeth in place. Suitable natural teeth were selected, a hole drilled down the middle to fit a post and the roots of the teeth shaped to fit the plate and obtain the correct height.  Finally the teeth were secured by rivetting the top of the post over the crown of the tooth.

Surprisingly, this worked reasonably well and when the supply of natural teeth gave up, porcelain equivalents began to appear on the market, fitted in the same manner. Dentures continued to be made in this fashion until vulcanised rubber became available as a cheaper alternative to gold.

Edited by Hroth
For some reason this morning, I couldn't spell "Belgians"...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Very keenly observed, with one exception - I was a bit surprised to see a brick building (with bricks in stretcher bond) and what seemed to be uPVC windows to the left of the two stone cottages!

Even more keenly observed! Now you've pointed that out, I'm wondering about the white windowframes on those houses.

A little googling quickly shows that this part of the model represents Clydach Terrace; under the paint and pebbledash these do look to be the prototype houses - note the brick window surrounds - and there is a brick-built outbuilding. Flemish not stretcher bond and it does look as if it could date back to the 20s, at least. Not a pleasing building but authentic. There's realism.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 4

This is the back of that outbuilding. Much more interesting from that side.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6407839,-3.3598632,3a,75y,42.67h,83.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJfkrIzDDli-K_ncXWsC9xw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And the front. It seems to be a different building to the one on the model.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6410104,-3.3601317,3a,75y,273.59h,83.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saJU8siHyoCUA0OxkjplXTw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've snaffled a copy of that delightful quarry scene picture. The tin building is perfect for the small space I have on my own model and I have an old Mike's Models scotch derrick kit that I wanted to use at that location as well.

EDIT: Looking at that second view again I noticed the grey stone civic building up the hill behind. It turns out to be a chapel. Quite beautiful, in its own way.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6411473,-3.3601746,3a,75y,215.99h,97.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-JXapIs9XrYdiYsgge_YsQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks. The loader is just a tin hut on legs, how wonderfully simple and effective. I have a Knightwings corrugated quarry complex kit that will be hacked about to provide the structures here. Presumably NG tubs are hauled up the stone ramp on the other side by a small winding engine. My own design will have the NG tub tracks arrive horizontally at the upper level, there will be a track to the upper level of the lime kilns too, for charging them. I was thinking of using some Z gauge track, or make something up from the smallest code rail I can find, which I think is 40?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Ynysybwl layout I know was the Gibbon brothers 0 gauge model. You could get quite dirty loading wagons with real coal on their colliery layouts.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

"Un-uz-uh-bull", roughly!"

More like "Unisubull" with the last "u" as in "bull". Perversely the various "y"s will be pronounced differently and the "s" is as in "bus" rather than as in "is". In Welsh the middle "y" is pronounced "u" and one in the last syllable of the word is pronounced "i" - as in "Mynydd". But it is a compound word, so treated as two halves when it comes to pronunciation.

"Ynys" is an island. i am not sure about the rest. Anyway, enough Welsh grammar for one year.

Back to the model, it shows how much care we now take with our modelling that people usually know about different brick bonds.

Another thing you will note about the layout, if i remember correctly, is that the coal wagons are appropriate for the area and date, not a random selection of periods and places as we so often see.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Another thing you will note about the layout, if i remember correctly, is that the coal wagons are appropriate for the area and date, not a random selection of periods and places as we so often see.

Not only in livery but in design - not an RCH 1923 wagon in sight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

"Un-uz-uh-bull", roughly!"

More like "Unisubull" with the last "u" as in "bull". Perversely the various "y"s will be pronounced differently and the "s" is as in "bus" rather than as in "is". In Welsh the middle "y" is pronounced "u" and one in the last syllable of the word is pronounced "i" - as in "Mynydd". But it is a compound word, so treated as two halves when it comes to pronunciation.

"Ynys" is an island. i am not sure about the rest. Anyway, enough Welsh grammar for one year.

Jonathan

"Bwl" is a round hollow body. Not sure where that gets us...

As in English: "bowl" I imagine.

Regarding appropriate wagons and so on, on my own layout I have a very wide variety but when I am at home I'm at liberty to enjoy some far flung liveries. If I were ever exhibiting I'd be very careful about what I ran and ensure it fitted period and location. I think when one is presenting a model to people who are paying to see it you owe them the courtesy of making every effort to be accurate (as well as polite and sociable as James discussed earlier).

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5

Or perhaps, island with (or in) a round hollow (or low lying) area. Things have been named for odder reasons.

I feel safe in suggesting that "bwl" and "bowl" share the same etymological root.

Anyhow, enough of living life in the fast lane, here's a train.

762211401_EasternMidlandRailwayclassA4-4-0rebuildNo_34.jpg.a73aae93c34b05ecc304b68f743a9165.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

There are several such courses in Birmingham! And beware my pronunciation. It is North Wales Welsh! They speaks it sor of diffrunt dahn souf. Just like English really.

A proper engine. Thank you. Decorated for a special occasion? Note the something on the top lamp iron.

Jonathan

Learning Welsh for six years and still no-where near fluent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Have another picture of the quarry from another angle, then! It definitely has character, doesn't it? 20190727_105347.jpg.060c0848dbd82f2d73423c7c66799ba9.jpg

YES. Thank you. I now know what Alnerwick Quarry should look like!

10 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

"Un-uz-uh-bull", roughly!

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Thanks. Though seeing as I'm not Welsh I still wonder what the language's aversion to vowels is.

1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

762211401_EasternMidlandRailwayclassA4-4-0rebuildNo_34.jpg.a73aae93c34b05ecc304b68f743a9165.jpg

A T3, am I correct?

2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Or perhaps, island with (or in) a round hollow (or low lying) area. Things have been named for odder reasons.

I feel safe in suggesting that "bwl" and "bowl" share the same etymological root.

A class at Cromer.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Aah. Whoops :P

Not so very far off. Some pages back there's a discussion about Beyer Peacock 4-4-0s; how they built some of Adams' first engines for the South Western, then very similar engines for some South American lines and the Lynn & Fakenham. James' summing up is in this post. The jury were convinced and Beyer Peacock found guilty of plagiarism.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/07/2019 at 09:23, Compound2632 said:

Disorder is evidence of activity.

I must be the most active person in the world, on that basis... I can’t even see, let alone get to, my modelling bench at the moment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

A T3, am I correct?

With E&MR on the tender?

(Eastern and Midlands Railway.)

It does raise the question of how much of the detail “design work” for the T3 was LSWR (Pettigrew, Adams’ chief draughtsman, I believe - later to appear on the Furness), and how much was Beyer, Peacock.

14 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Beautiful, though unpronounceable. 

I had to have it explained to me that it is a Yinglish pun about unfathomableWelsh syllables and vowels

erm.....

about untidiness 

This is what was to be posted by the Volunteer Cavalry Occifer Commanding had his camera battery not expired under him2081484875_railwayroom.jpg.d6fc28514ea87245f0169999351f0490.jpg

trouble is I'm a Mr Toad ..... there is always a further distraction following along behind   poop poop !    

Life is far too short; finishing the 1:1 scale west wing restoration is a current priority.   

The base board eventually grew to nearly 12 foot long by just short of 5 foot; then got moved out of the family room across the landing into my study once the whole gang of cousins found it much more exciting challenging grandma at ping pong instead. 

The idea was to simulate the eldest two grandchildren's frequent trips north from King+ to Newcastle in the days of the GNER. Then they'd proceed onwards to Inverness - where the Grandfather who outranked me resided (he'd been a Dartmouth cadet in 1945 aboard HMS Vanguard and had served as part of a Allied guard assembled to witness the surrender of the Japanese to McArthur in Yokohama harbour.)

The diagram of the roundy-round is fuzzily visible in the foreground - Kings+ was a sort of fiddle yard inside the 3 track oval . 

The heyday for me was setting up my weathered LNW G2A (with sound) wheezing around tender-cab first with a long rake of lime-caked empties. It would plod along at a scale 3 miles an hour for hours on end while I worked on my laptop beside it. I always pictured it ascending around Combs Moss (and Chapel South) and crossing above the mouth of the Midland mainline tunnel.

I much prefer small modelling projects nowadays undertaken for others.

Edwardian said he'd go away and ponder what could be the fate of such a white elephant (in the room). 

dh

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4