Don't go there ....... the protocol is to slap a penalty notice on your car, then ignore any appeal against it, sell the supposed debt that arises when you refuse to pay to a bunch of sharks debt collectors, then seek a county court judgement against you in your absence.

How do I know? Because I’m in the latter stages of a war of principle against such an outfit, over some deeply contradictory and misleading notices at the car park serving a coffee shop locally, which resulted in me being “ticketed” for overstaying a time limit.

I still don’t know whether it will all end in a court hearing, but since I submitted my written defence case to the  court office some months ago, all has gone silent.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

If I have caused us to wander off into the funny signs thread's territory, the mention of Tesco's reminds me of this, which should prove hard to enforce as it was intended.

Parking is NOT prohibitied Seaford 22 6 2017 2000px.jpg

Makes a change from punters parking inside the covered trolley parks...

18 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

A patient of mine used to stand just inside the door of ASDA wearing a badge with 'Greeter' on it.  i used to ask her what she was greetin' about today!  :jester:

Jim

Being stuck in bloody ASDA all day – enough to make anyone greet

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I always liked the scrawled comment

"Bill Stickers is Innocent" I've never since been able to see "Bill Stickers will be Prosecuted" without chuckling.

Graffiti artists do have a sense of humour: in Brixton in the '80s there was a big graffito "Free Winston Silcott" to which some wag had added "with every packet of Shreddies"...  

Sometimes words are superfluous as with this unofficial sign on the left bank of the Seine in Paris.

DSC_9858.jpg

• Funny 5

16 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Grandpa Sutters took a photo of a Pyramid and a Sphinx. ... I have no idea why that location was chosen! He was out in Egypt installing electricity in the Abbassia Barracks. I believe that in subsequent years some of the prisoners held there may have regretted that he did, as his wiring may have been used for purposes not described in the original spec.

We once had to cross a border between Haute-Volta, (now Burkina Faso), and Mali a week after a brief border war;  our young family was required to muster in a bare room arraigned before the Passport control officer.

in the far corner was a blood spattered bench with handcuffs alongside a table containing electrical kit.

Nothing was said until the eldest asked us about it about 50 k further on down the murram road.

I suppose this is stuff we sell at Trade Fairs

apropos Notices

Dour Lancashire Municipalities used to run their own buses with upstairs seat backs fitted with cast metal strikers for smokers' safety matches. They incorporated raised letters:

EXPECTORATING
FORBIDDEN

At age 11, I thought this a posh way of saying 'don't try and expect anything nice'

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, runs as required said:

I suppose this is stuff we sell at Trade Fairs

Its got to be asked.

Was it, or could you blame the competitors?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Its got to be asked.

Was it, or could you blame the competitors?

Surprising and disturbing, but Google "UK sales torture equipment" and you do get results, e.g. this New Statesman Article

Mention was made a while back of G A Henty.  I suspect that his brave, upright heroes would be appalled by the use or support of torture, just as he appalls us, as by modern standards his Imperial assumptions of superiority are racist and his patriotism jingoistic.   

I have rather a weakness for "ripping yarns", and they are, by their own lights, moral tales, but a lot of 'attitudes of the times' have to be filtered out when you read them. There is a lot of 'casual' racism or anti-semitism, and you just have to be glad that we've moved on from such attitudes.  

Perhaps it was my background in history, but I have some ability to judge what people did and wrote by the standards of their time, rather than inevitably condemn them for falling short of the standards of our time. l don't, somehow, adopt their world view by doing so, and, I still try to live my life by the enlightened mores of today,  

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wagonman said:

Sometimes words are superfluous as with this unofficial sign on the left bank of the Seine in Paris.

DSC_9858.jpg

But the French being as they are, the presence of such a sign will just alert them to the suitability of the site for that purpose.

The sign that gets me going is the one that says "Only toilet paper to be put down this WC".

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I assume it falls into the "adult toys" category. Its not meant for serious non-consensual use, but between consenting adults.

If Tasering is an 'adult' toy, I've led an even more sheltered life than I realised!

1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

But the French being as they are, the presence of such a sign will just alert them to the suitability of the site for that purpose.

Quite

• Funny 1

16 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

If Tasering is an 'adult' toy, I've led an even more sheltered life than I realised!

There are tasers and Tasers. The items sold by certain online stores are NOT the things used by the police that are intended to drop a person to the floor writhing in pain! Far weaker in output...

33 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Alexa, play "Hurts So Good" by John Mellencamp... :P

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

There are tasers and Tasers. The items sold by certain online stores are NOT the things used by the police that are intended to drop a person to the floor writhing in pain! Far weaker in output...

Ah, I'll add that to my list of things not to remember, thanks

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Don't even look into the alternative "adult" uses of TENS machines either...

I think something is needed to bring us back on topic so here are some random pictures from Pendon. Its post-grouping, yes, but these are all scenes unchanged from later pre-grouping years.

Dsc00416.jpg.0c656e326860cd370be3e56427a1d002.jpg

Dsc00437.jpg.96ad8d37ffdea68516a51c02d509d88a.jpg

Dsc00442.jpg.752dec53cc91dfbe4c16ea74a669bb97.jpg

Dsc00468.jpg.3d3811728145104582b534e398a4df2a.jpg

Dsc00471.jpg.b0bc6c86ed98d79e725abb51c0691c56.jpg

Dsc00493.jpg.7c468b7b14a50a3700df3f1b9989a167.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I think we can safely say that previous posts were very much a leftover of Bank Holiday Madness!  Its good to be called back to order....

Pendon buildings are always well observed. I like the last one of the derelict cottage, but the chap roofing the shed seems to be making a bit of a meal of things. :o

• RMweb Premium

In the first picture we have what is either one of those early Ian Kirk pre-iron mink wood minks as a grounded body, or a pre-Kirk scratchbuilt version of the same. The original vehicles were built c. 1878 - 1885, then Holden moved from Swindon to Stratford and the Great Eastern started turning out something similar.

Relevant enough?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

In the first picture we have what is either one of those early Ian Kirk pre-iron mink wood minks as a grounded body, or a pre-Kirk scratchbuilt version of the same. The original vehicles were built c. 1878 - 1885, then Holden moved from Swindon to Stratford and the Great Eastern started turning out something similar.

Relevant enough?

I was about to reply that the grounded van body would very much be in service and painted red hereabouts!

I had consistently failed to find a Kirk kit on Ebay, so over the weekend I ordered a 3D-printed one from Stafford Road Models.  Just need to work out the best u/f for it.  

My bank holiday madness also involved ordering a couple of loco kits from Knuckles of this parish and a quartering jig.

• Like 6

Can we see a picture of one in service, preferably one of each W and E for comparison, please? A plan is forming inside my teeny brain.

A quartering jig sounds like some sort of folk dance, possibly nautical in origin.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Can we see a picture of one in service, preferably one of each W and E for comparison, please? A plan is forming inside my teeny brain.

Best I can do at short notice

1442051397_GERCoveredWagon(SMG).jpg.372c8e031148172edc4c10df796d21c1.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Bill Bedford has that van on his website, for pre-ordering. Mind you, if you only want one, you will have a long wait, I think its something like five years since I pre-ordered three HR road vans!

Andy G

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Bootiful!

Steel underframe?

Yes.  All but the earliest GWR examples appear to have had metal u/fs. 

According to Atkins et al,  the first 50 were completed in 1878 on wooden u/fs.  Subsequent Lots, built from 1881, had "bulb" iron underframes. 

Production ceased in 1886 in favour of the iron minks.  

Meanwhile, on the GER, the impending opening of the GN & GE Joint line was seen in 1881 to require 500 additional wagons. These were judged to include 200 covered wagons, which I don't think the GER had used previously.

When James Holden arrived in August 1885, he introduced steel framed stock.

Note, however, that, whereas the GW covered wagons were 15'6" over the headstocks, the GE equivalents were 16'1" over the headstocks.  Both had a 9' w/b

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3