18 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Good idea , but, on the whole, I think I'd prefer a vat of alcohol.

Reminds me off the story of the man who died in a vat of whisky.  Two of his workmates jumped in to save him, but he managed to fight them off!

Jim (windae picked)

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Reminds me off the story of the man who died in a vat of whisky.  Two of his workmates jumped in to save him, but he managed to fight them off!

Quite possibly older than the dinosaur fossils that were being suggested for the display case... ;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, James Harrison said:

Why does your display case immediately remind me of the guild navigator's tank in Dune?

1532570806113.png

This Is Your Brain On Drugs.....

9 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Which way are you going??

a) collecting dead saints,

b) starting an interesting laboratory,

6D3D6CD8-290F-4B7D-9072-F9E1BF6528E7.jpeg.811a4a58272d85de200c55802f7723c3.jpegEAB658D5-B2FC-41C8-802B-F739BC729737.jpeg.1d3404b3e215dcebd8ee6d47b0e5319f.jpeg

The question we must now ask, is "Does Edwardian have an Igor?"

I must note that above the tank on the left is part of a rather nice looking Wimshurst Machine, which I fear might answer the question....

Edited by Hroth
Because because....
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

There are several such on the Huntley & Palmers site in this series of c. 1900 photos. I suspect you are right that they are empty rather than full crates. Here's another such, note the South Eastern Railway wagon sheet covering something to the left - must be accruing demurrage charges. Full crates were loaded under cover in the loading sheds, the lower one of which is seen here in 1899. Note the crates are being loaded into open wagons - a Great Western 4-plank wagon on the left and, of course, a Midland D299 5-plank open on the right, with, I think, a LSWR open behind. This is well pre-pooling so I suspect the Midland wagon is on a circuit, sent empty to Reading to collect a regular consignment of biscuits for distribution in the east Midlands. The load might be broken down at Derby St Marys tranship shed and forwarded as small consignments, or this could be a week's supply for a wholesale merchant in Sheffield, for example.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Glancing at the giant tank photo again, I suspect that I can also see a French Hornby 0 gauge green box of some kind ........ is this vitrine to contain all sorts of gallic tinplate delights?

In the bowels of the earth below Brighton station lie these treasures!

French Hornby train set  Brighton Toy Museum 31 3 2015.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Glancing at the giant tank photo again, I suspect that I can also see a French Hornby 0 gauge green box of some kind ........ is this vitrine to contain all sorts of gallic tinplate delights?

Alas, no.  It is what my dilapidated and non-functioning, but cherished, Peter K No.1 Class lives in. 

DSCN8349.JPG.78baec1f9fca736015f16eb887c910aa.JPG

The other weekend activity, though I was barely involved save driving hither and yon for supplies, was Miss T's physics homework.  Tasked with producing a poster relaying information concerning the Solar System planet of her choice, she chose instead to go 3D and produce Venus as a giant ball of string. 

1788817754_DSCN8347-Copy.JPG.da0db4230491e7c33224d581763db41e.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

If you want to help Miss T bone up on the solar system, and combine it with a railway interest expotition, drive down to York, park the car and take the Selby bus, getting off at  Riccall. (This is the Riccall of the Naburn, Escrick and Riccall which gave the N.E.R.its initials.) otherwise you can use cycles, as it is a cycle way. You then find the trackbed of the old East Coast main line, abandoned when the Selby coalfield opened. Along the trackbed there’s a model of the solar system, exactly to scale, with a tiny little Pluto near Riccall, and a dirty great orange Sun close to Bishopthorpe. At normal walking pace you’re travelling at three times the speed of light (!!) The Railway bridge over the Ouse is also preserved.

https://www.york.ac.uk/solar/

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Northroader said:

If you want to help Miss T bone up on the solar system, and combine it with a railway interest expotition, drive down to York, park the car and take the Selby bus, getting off at  Riccall. (This is the Riccall of the Naburn, Escrick and Riccall which gave the N.E.R.its initials.) otherwise you can use cycles, as it is a cycle way. You then find the trackbed of the old East Coast main line, abandoned when the Selby coalfield opened. Along the trackbed there’s a model of the solar system, exactly to scale, with a tiny little Pluto near Riccall, and a dirty great orange Sun close to Bishopthorpe. At normal walking pace you’re travelling at three times the speed of light (!!) The Railway bridge over the Ouse is also preserved.

https://www.york.ac.uk/solar/

Miss T bone?????

• Funny 3

Back to biscuits for a moment, because the H&P collection is such a wonderful resource, in the mid-ground of this one, behind the cattle wagons, there is an entire village of crate-stacks http://www.huntleyandpalmers.org.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?a=query&p=huntley&f=generic_largerimage.htm&_IXFIRST_=1&_IXMAXHITS_=1&t=rm-rm-factory_content2&%3dcms_con_core_identifier=rm-ru-hpos272c~u_034-i-00-000.tif&s=9n9I85glEge

These would be dead easy to make as models in the Beal-style, by making shallow saw cuts in a block of timber, and draping a bit of old bedsheet over it. I'm thinking that maybe my imaginary glue factory might have used crates on deposit.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well, we're off the Page of Doom and, perhaps, it will be convenient to return to coal stacks.

Naturally to me they look rather like dry-stone walling.  They seem to have come about on the GE because the company, not the wealthiest, had a policy of buying in far more coal than it needed when the price was low, to use when the price was high. 

Manual labour was, on the other hand, relatively cheap, so the vast about of trouble and effort required to build these extremely temporary structures could be expended.  

They appear to have been particular features of the landscape at March and Ipswich.  

March:

1261693060_March01-Copy.JPG.c5f27dc24337e747c39b6ff5f5a3b88a.JPG

Ipswich:

911520459_Ipswich05-Copy.JPG.366e9aeaf50e2f1bf60debac893dd189.JPG

Palace Gates:

852486498_PalaceGates-Copy.JPG.e938e9a98a619ca29c369f3e5014739a.JPG

Pyewipe:

1549095834_Pyewipe-Copy.JPG.43af779dfe1a619bd049695304ac99af.JPG

The practice continued post-Grouping and vast new stacks were required to be laid down at March in order to feed the new coaler sanctioned by the LNER in 1925:

1825895327_March041928NewStacks-Copy.JPG.763ab85c09a53d67a4ee59a3a3bf4d08.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7