Muahahahahahaaaaaaa.....  :jester:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jeremy_Kyle_Show

(Sorry)

To paraphrase the most powerful moron in the world (and I have, sadly, heard of him): You are a bad man. Very bad. Bad. Not like me. I'm great. Really great. And it's gonna be a great wall. Really great. And you're gonna pay for it! 

It's what's known among Castle Aching-watchers as a "Marple Moment".

Indeed

post-25673-0-38370600-1548358279.jpg

post-25673-0-28022600-1548358292.jpg

post-25673-0-80060500-1548358317_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-35428800-1548358360.jpg

• Like 8

It's what's known among Castle Aching-watchers as a "Marple Moment".

This is what I'd call a "Marple"* moment

post-21933-0-94048700-1548359695.jpg

and a most unpleasant one it is too  You just know there's a carve-up going on.....

* Ok, it was Marples, but why let that get in the way?

• Like 2

To paraphrase the most powerful moron in the world (and I have, sadly, heard of him): You are a bad man. Very bad. Bad. Not like me. I'm great. Really great. And it's gonna be a great wall. Really great. And you're gonna pay for it!

I feel vilified at last! At least I now know at least James and I live in the real world!

Me neither! I think that's a good thing.

Agree.  Sometimes the Memsahib will buy something called Hello, full of pictures with captions like "Charlie and Jocasta show us round their beautiful home" and I have absolutely no idea who any of these people are.  I find that life affirming.

I feel vilified at last! At least I now know at least James and I live in the real world!

Or possibly even vindicated!

• Like 3

Me neither! I think that's a good thing.

Muahahahahahaaaaaaa.....  :jester:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jeremy_Kyle_Show

(Sorry)

Quite right, James.  You don't want to know!! :nono:

Jim (who does know and wishes he didn't)

I don't know who Jeremy Kyle is (so, please don't tell me).

I really wish my mother wouldn't insist on watching it if there's nothing else on the television...

Surely some music practice would be preferable to that particularly cruel programme, displaying the lowest intellects possible. And that's the presenter...

• RMweb Premium

Vindicated. That's the word. It's been a long... life.

"well, there's nothing else on" is a phrase that is both frightening and depressing. I shudder whenever I hear it.

I do not watch the TV at all, for me a TV is a screen to show DVDs on.

We have cable TV with several hundred channels. Apart from the news, rugby and cricket, there's usually nothing else to watch.

Vindicated. That's the word. It's been a long... life.

"well, there's nothing else on" is a phrase that is both frightening and depressing. I shudder whenever I hear it.

I do not watch the TV at all, for me a TV is a screen to show DVDs on.

I thought that might be the word you were grasping for, but I didn't want to increase your sense of anguish...

"well, there's nothing else on" means that its either the wireless or some good books and a mug of cocoa, especially on a cold and miserable evening.

Sometimes even railway modelling takes place!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought that might be the word you were grasping for, but I didn't want to increase your sense of anguish...

"well, there's nothing else on" means that its either the wireless or some good books and a mug of cocoa, especially on a cold and miserable evening.

Sometimes even railway modelling takes place!

Railway modelling and the wireless is always a good combination.

In my case I find my private version of this, with the Christmas music (and most of the WWII announcements!) removed suits me quite nicely: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRdsydosQpJKsmak4UTaRshK6Yxd6112X

So all I need is the actual wireless to complete matters... and some CCW Wooden kits to replace the Triang Clerestories on the bench... ;)

• RMweb Gold

I see forthcoming programes advertised as featuring 'celebrities' and have no idea who they may be. Not that I would choose to watch something because it featured celebrities. There have been times when we gave up having a TV but it was a shame to miss the garden programes and the odd bit about railways. I do find radio and modelling go well together. When away in the motorhome we do not take a TV but I do take some modelling kit.

The reason all these celebrities get to draive a steam engine is because both the producers and the private railways know many of the audience would like that opportunity and so it draws the audience. My advice to you all is to save some money and treat yourself to a driving session most private railways offer them. It is far better than watching someone do it on TV. On one memorable day I drove King Edward and the Cadbury tank at Tysley quite a contrast..

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is what I'd call a "Marple"* moment

attachicon.gifAn Unplesant Marple Moment.jpg

and a most unpleasant one it is too  You just know there's a carve-up going on.....

* Ok, it was Marples, but why let that get in the way?

That chap on the left looks disturbingly like my brother.

As for a TV I don't have one.  After my Mum had to go into 24 hour care a couple of years ago I took the television out to the end of the driveway and left it there with a large piece of paper taped to the screen with the word 'FREE' lettered large on it in black marker pen.  I think it was only there 10 minutes before somebody took it.

• Like 3

No spoilers, but if you like The Good Place, it's worth checking out Parks & Recreation and Brooklyn Nine-Nine who also had/have Michael Schur as a guiding hand. He was behind The Office (US) as well, but I haven't seen that yet.

That chap on the left looks disturbingly like my brother.

As for a TV I don't have one.  After my Mum had to go into 24 hour care a couple of years ago I took the television out to the end of the driveway and left it there with a large piece of paper taped to the screen with the word 'FREE' lettered large on it in black marker pen.  I think it was only there 10 minutes before somebody took it.

Thats not a chap, thats the infamous Richard (Slasher) Beeching who did so much to create the heritage railway industry and prune British Railways of sorely missed spare capacity through dogma, dodgy accounting and inadequate traffic flow analysis. (but no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition...)

Ernie Marples is no doubt suggesting the closure of railway routes that would be profitable to him as a motorway contractor.

My condolences to your brother on having Beeching as a doppleganger.

Railway modelling and the wireless is always a good combination.

I do agree; except that I had to abandon Radio 4 during all the nastiness and stupidity in the summer of 2016, which unfortunately seems still to be with us. Never mind, I'm now happy with Radio 3 for most of the time, with occasional excursions into Radio 4 Extra and Classic FM.

The railway room (temporarily) has a rather strange inherited DAB radio, which very annoyingly seems to 'drop out' occasionally. It does however have a useful secondary function in detecting arcing when building and testing locomotives (in full daylight)!

The full specification for the Railway Room Radio is being drawn up.

It needs:

Radio (normal and DAB)

Push button channel changing for quick avoidance of unpleasantness (When making necessary excursions to Radio 4.)

CD player.

Internet ability, with presumably a small screen, for iPlayer, BBC Sounds etc.

Suitable readers for whatever the sort of storage card is that I use in the car.

I would be very grateful for any (helpful) advice.

I use the 21st century very selectively, although I do admit that some parts of it can be useful.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 3

I do agree; except that I had to abandon Radio 4 during all the nastiness and stupidity in the summer of 2016, which unfortunately seems still to be with us. Never mind, I'm now happy with Radio 3 for most of the time, with occasional excursions into Radio 4 Extra and Classic FM.

The railway room (temporarily) has a rather strange inherited DAB radio, which very annoyingly seems to 'drop out' occasionally. It does however have a useful secondary function in detecting arcing when building and testing locomotives (in full daylight)!

The full specification for the Railway Room Radio is being drawn up.

It needs:

Radio (normal and DAB)

Push button channel changing for quick avoidance of unpleasantness (When making necessary excursions to Radio 4.)

CD player.

Internet ability, with presumably a small screen, for iPlayer, BBC Sounds etc.

Suitable readers for whatever the sort of storage card is that I use in the car.

I would be very grateful for any (helpful) advice.

I use the 21st century very selectively, although I do admit that some parts of it can be useful.

CD player 

All great ideas. Unfortunately, for me, no chance of internet reaching the outbuilding.

Yet to insulate, so no work yet possible of the railway.  I find that I have developed a mental block, like the ones I have developed over track and electrics, over fitting out the outbuilding.  Honestly, I am hopeless.

All great ideas. Unfortunately, for me, no chance of internet reaching the outbuilding.

Yet to insulate, so no work yet possible of the railway.  I find that I have developed a mental block, like the ones I have developed over track and electrics, over fitting out the outbuilding.  Honestly, I am hopeless.

Its not that difficult, you can get "Internet over the mains" adaptors, so provided the shed is on the same ring, its virtually plug'n'play....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C5IA4XI/ref=asc_df_B00C5IA4XI58205582/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B00C5IA4XI&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310785453975&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11107666976930007395&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006523&hvtargid=pla-561959892413&th=1&psc=1

Just one of many such pairs of devices, purely for illustration.

You can even get them at Argosburys!