Sort of like an oasthouse, ins't it? 

In Kent and Sussex, these were used for drying hops; in Wales, they were employed for drying Welsh people, who used them to get out of the rain and have a nice sit down for a few hours on a Sunday. May go some way to explaining the traditionally fervent nature of faith in Wales, drying off.

Only 'cos they've shut the pubs

• RMweb Gold

Martin.. I feel a trans continental scrap emerging here.

Nah.

Martin took my “Seriously?” the wrong way, and what’s more I can see how and why - I would probably have read it the same way.

I thought he was was joking, but just in case he wasn’t, I thought I would start by clarifying if he really was stuck. Unfortunately, we cannot include tonal inflection and smileys don’t help here.

Apologies for unintentional offence, Martin.

This highlights a big problem I find with software interfaces. Designed to be “idiot proof”, but 90% of users are definitely not idiots (based on US army cutoff points from research into intelligence. Yes, 10% of the general population lacks sufficient intelligence to remember and obey more than very simple orders). We come to things like this forum with our own ideas of how something should work. And generally, I think users agree with each other how it should work, but not with the interface designers...

Edit: because whoever programmed the autocorrect didn’t do a very good job of it.

Edited by Regularity

Only 'cos they've shut the pubs

Be fair, the pubs are shut (this being pre-grouping) to encourage the populace to go anywhere BUT the pubs on a Sunday and give the Publican a day off.  If they choose to avail themselves of Church or Chapel to dry off from the incessant rain (note: I am reliably informed that its not always raining) then it is incumbent upon said Church or Chapel to provide adequate drying space and also a Tortoise or Little Moloch stove for the winter months (which extend largely from August to May).

Honestly, its easier to leave the pubs open....  :jester:

I have a fondness for ‘The Tortoise’, because my first school medical, age 6y 3m, was conducted in a giant Victorian worship barn, at about this time of year, by three medical bods who got confused, and thought they were still working for the army.

The ‘Board’ sat at a long table, wearing about nine overcoats each, while us infants had to strip to vest and pants, walk the lengthy of the church, looking up at intimidating crucifixion, breath visible in the cold, get assessed, then walk back (No Running!), to The Tortoise ..... blessed giver of a tiny bit of warmth, and dress, before returning to school.

As an early experience of the trappings of organised religion, it left me wondering why we weren’t worshipping tortoises, and forgetting all the death-obsessed scary stuff.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

The above exchange highlights a real problem in communicating via the written word, the lack of intonation, stress and body language clues.

I was actually thinking a few days ago about starting a thread on the topic.

Consider the following, which the teachers among us will recognise:

A teacher enters a classroom and says quietly "Please sit down".

A teacher enters a classroom where one boy is standing over another and beating him over the head. The teacher bellows "Please sit down."

The same in print but completely different in their intention and effect.

I therefore think that we always need to assume that anyone posting is doing it in a positive and friendly manner unless there is real evidence to the contrary, and if something one reads seems aggressive read it again to see what the writer might have been trying to say rather than your first impression.

But to get back to more important matters, especially for Annie I found this yesterday:

post-13650-0-32679000-1548239813_thumb.jpg

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 8

post-26540-0-26218100-1548193730_thumb.j

Hm. I may have stumbled upon another use for the Bachmann brewery complex.

51vz6PLBMjL._SX355_.jpg

Thanks to DonB and others about the multi-quote instructions. I honestly would never have worked that out on my own, it is not at all logical and some people don't know how to help, so really shouldn't try.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann had better double production then as the church tower illustrated above is of a style very common in the Marches - though you wouldn't guess if you just googled Marches churches..

i assume the Ely reference is to the Maltings rather than the Babylon Gallery or the Cathedral, though the Maltings actually has a pyramid shaped roof!

I have more delights for Annie but I shall space them out to make them last longer.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann had better double production then as the church tower illustrated above is of a style very common in the Marches - though you wouldn't guess if you just googled Marches churches..

i assume the Ely reference is to the Maltings rather than the Babylon Gallery or the Cathedral, though the Maltings actually has a pyramid shaped roof!

I have more delights for Annie but I shall space them out to make them last longer.

Jonathan

The waiting, - how shall I cope?......... oooooooooo it isn't fair.......

• Like 1

The above exchange highlights a real problem in communicating via the written word, the lack of intonation, stress and body language clues.

I was actually thinking a few days ago about starting a thread on the topic.

Consider the following, which the teachers among us will recognise:

A teacher enters a classroom and says quietly "Please sit down".

A teacher enters a classroom where one boy is standing over another and beating him over the head. The teacher bellows "Please sit down."

The same in print but completely different in their intention and effect.

I therefore think that we always need to assume that anyone posting is doing it in a positive and friendly manner unless there is real evidence to the contrary, and if something one reads seems aggressive read it again to see what the writer might have been trying to say rather than your first impression.

But to get back to more important matters, especially for Annie I found this yesterday:

attachicon.gifGreat-Eastern-Railway-Combined-Rail-Steamer-Excursions.jpg

Jonathan

Thank you for the poster. (Said quietly, and with a warm half-smile.)

Do you have any information as to its publication date?

Also, is there more information about the ships?

'Suffolk' and 'Norfolk' are listed on LNER forum, with some pictures. but not 'Essex'.

They seem nice little ships. Did anyone ever provide steamer services on the north and west Norfolk coasts?

(Or is it too shallow/rough/littered with sandbanks and seals?)

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit that it may be modern, as I simply found it on the net using a well known search engine. However, I am aware that there are modern pastiches, but the reference to a specific service seemed to make it more likely to be genuine. Thoughts please?

It is certainly not in any known GER styler - at least known to me.

Jonathan

They seem nice little ships. Did anyone ever provide steamer services on the north and west Norfolk coasts?

(Or is it too shallow/rough/littered with sandbanks and seals?)

The latter. I'm not aware of any steamer services along the North Norfolk coast — for all the reasons you adumbrated plus the lack of any suitable piers (except  at Hunstanton, but the steamers from there went to Skegness). The end of Cromer Pier is home to the lifeboat house and its launch ramp so no room for steamers. In the very old days collier brigs would come ashore at high tide to be unloaded while the tide was out and refloated on the next tide (they hoped).

Last night I wasted an hour of my life watching David Dimbleby's telly afterlife on BBC4, a programme about the buildings of Britain. It was predictably banal, the high point being an aerial view of Cley (including our humble abode) which lasted for all of 2 seconds...

Not recommended.

• Like 1

The latter. I'm not aware of any steamer services along the North Norfolk coast — for all the reasons you adumbrated plus the lack of any suitable piers (except  at Hunstanton, but the steamers from there went to Skegness). The end of Cromer Pier is home to the lifeboat house and its launch ramp so no room for steamers. In the very old days collier brigs would come ashore at high tide to be unloaded while the tide was out and refloated on the next tide (they hoped).

And the WNR's monopoly of the route via the Wolfringham Pier-Birchoverham Next the Sea service.

• Like 3

Last night I wasted an hour of my life watching David Dimbleby's telly afterlife on BBC4, a programme about the buildings of Britain. It was predictably banal, the high point being an aerial view of Cley (including our humble abode) which lasted for all of 2 seconds...

Not recommended.

Must say that I saw it in the programme listing and wasn't attracted, so gut feeling was spot on!

(I may yet have a peek on iPlayer just to wallow in the nausea...)

Not so much a case of not being able to "multipost", more "I read it after posting my first post".   At least this addition was in the second post, not in a third post! 

And ad infinitum...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

My ears are burning. I should just shut up and play trains. ;)

Just keep still for a mo, I want to toast these crumpets.....

Not recommended.

Watched a bit of the beginning. Why do these presenters always get to "drive" a steam engine? 

Apart from that, I got through the collage of touristy shots, eventually becoming airsick from the swooping dronecam and dizzy from the snap cuts to details. Punting through the sedge beds and burning stubble put the cap on it...

About as interesting as watching a Jeremy Kyle programme!

Edited by Hroth

Just keep still for a mo, I want to toast these crumpets.....

Watched a bit of the beginning. Why do these presenters always get to "drive" a steam engine? 

Apart from that, I got through the collage of touristy shots, eventually becoming airsick from the swooping dronecam and dizzy from the snap cuts to details. Punting through the sedge beds and burning stubble put the cap on it...

About as interesting as watching a Jeremy Kyle programme!

I don't know who Jeremy Kyle is (so, please don't tell me).