• RMweb Premium

Had Virginia McKenna worn her hair like that in ww2 ( or now) the SWO would definitely have had a word in her ear.

• Like 1

I must re-watch In Which We Serve, which I have not seen for years, because I recall that we see footage of what looks like a GW West of England express, complete with 70 footers (appropriately probably including Dreadnoughts) conveying Coward's character to, IIRC, Plymouth.

Yes, I'm not sure I noticed the 70 footers. I was trying to work out whether it was hauled by a King or a Castle, and trying to work out if the tender carried the GWR 'shirtbutton' logo.

At least, since the film was made in 1942, the brief footage had to be of an actual GWR train, although possibly of a pre-war shot.

The film is currently available on BBC iPlayer.

Edited by drmditch

• RMweb Premium

The GSWR/GSR/CIE J15 does have a chassis pretty well the same as a GWR 2251 for wheel size and wheelbase, only a bit shorter at the back end, then it’s just a case of monkeying about with the boiler and so on.

post-26540-0-28111300-1547064490_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The GSWR/GSR/CIE J15 does have a chassis pretty well the same as a GWR 2251 for wheel size and wheelbase, only a bit shorter at the back end, then it’s just a case of monkeying about with the boiler and so on.

attachicon.gif8CF20916-5E00-4AEA-9923-BE367EC8C8FC.jpeg

Wonderful model.  I might have guessed you'd have one.

(Bloody funny looking Collett Goods, mind you)

• RMweb Premium

Sooo.... next question, did you fancy Virginia McKenna in the “Cruel Sea” more than Susanna York in the “Battle of Britain”?? Answers on a postcard please to Nonnatus House for Nice Nuns.(Me, Sexist??)attachicon.gifD4C331FE-3FA1-4FC3-8642-1E1E171B06E5.jpeg

attachicon.gifDFC5ED39-4026-405A-9846-DA5C72D73E2B.jpeg

"Don't you yell at me Mr Warwick!".

Does that give you a clue?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With intertwined strands on McKenna and McDonnell, perhaps I'll try for thread convergence with McConnell:

post-29416-0-94692700-1547068682.jpg

Not that dissimilar, being of similar date - to McDonnell, that is, not McKenna, who as far as I'm aware never did design a 0-6-0.

Hand in hand with the strong Beyer, Peacock influence in the 19th century, there was a great deal of independent thinking among Irish locomotive superintendents in the early 20th century. We're familiar with Englishmen who returned home after cutting their teeth at Inchicore - Aspinall, Ivatt, Maunsell, also Robinson on the WL&WR - but the work of Coey, of Clifford and Glover at Dundalk, and Cusack at Broadstone deserves to be better known in Great Britain.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That must be the version with the "go faster" cab.

Is the Irish 0-6-0 model to 00 gauge...? I couldn't find out from the website.

If so, it is a scale 1’ 1½” under gauge, but ironically, also 1’ 1½” over gauged for a 3’ prototype. (I know it isn’t a 3’ prototype.)

Perhaps that is what is meant by 00 being for the “average modeller”, as Peco used to say: 16.5mm is the average of 12mm and 21mm... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Is this the animal?

attachicon.gifCIE 184.JPG

I travelled behind it some years ago on an RPSI railtour.

Jonathan

Yes

That is indeed one of the two preserved engines. The other, No. 186, has the Belpaire boiler and extended smokebox.

Both are seen in the period romp The First Great Train Robbery.  This has also come up in CA before: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2860168 !

attachicon.gif8CF20916-5E00-4AEA-9923-BE367EC8C8FC.jpeg

Bob, I'd be interested to know the wheelbase and wheel diameter of the J15.

The 2251 has 5'2" wheels at 7'3" + 8'3", whereas Great Western and constituent BP 0-6-0s were a little different:

77 Class (1857) and 167 Class (1861) - "Gooch designed the coat and Beyer Peacock the trousers" (Ahrons) had 5' wheels at 7'9" + 7'9".  Apparently Gooch boilers but with a BP sloping smokebox. Of course, re-boilerings conformed to the GW practice of obtaining the maximum possible variety.

LLanelly Railway & Dock Co. had two BP 0-6-0s in 1868 with 4'9" wheels at 7'2" + 7'6", and another four in 1870 with 4'8 1/2" wheels at 7'5" + 7'6". 

The M&SWJ BPs, at 1899 and 1902, are a little too modern for comparison with the 1850s and '60s BPs in question. They had 5'2 1/2" wheels at 8' + 7'6".

We should note here that the Sharp Stewart 0-6-0 (of the Cambrian "Small Goods" type) intended for the WNR is indeed a diminutive type, with 4'6" wheels at 6'9" + 8', making it comparable with the smaller of the Llanelly engines. A J15, if of similar wheel size and wheelbase to the Collett goods is likely to be noticeably larger. It would give the WNR something equivalent to the GER Y14 in size, not that the "other J15" is all that large for an 0-6-0. 

post-25673-0-04140000-1547073228_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-63107700-1547073417_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-88314300-1547073497_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-61956300-1547073721.jpg

post-25673-0-10087200-1547073775_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-52275300-1547073810_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

It's a fat Dean Goods! :P

Well, the link is, I suppose, that the Dean Goods in its original form was a fairly bog-standard medium-sized 0-6-0 of the generation after the 101 Class etc. The 101 Class is unusual for a locomotive of its generation in being quite so long lived.

• RMweb Gold

I had not realised the OO Worls J15/Class 101 had been released, but it has. Some people have photographed theirs: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140069-class-101-j15-locomotive/

OO Works are well known for never repeating models, but I can only assume that they have a second (or "continuous"!) run, because they are taking orders for delivery in the autumn.  

EDIT: The picture suggests why physical alterations to the OO Works loco might be difficult and traumatic!

The WNR would have to live with such up to date features as:

- the larger diameter replacement boiler and the smoke-box

- the round-doored, flat fronted smoke box face

- fuller cab

- solid tender fenders. 

Will these features tend to dilute the antique aesthetic - I prefer the condition represented by Northroader's model - it is not, perhaps, unreasonable to suppose that an 1860s locomotive had been rebuilt to such a form by 1905. 

That said, I'd prefer a smoke box door less specific to the Irish prototype.  Something more generic that could have evolved on the WNR would be better.    

It's a big loco, especially for its age. With 5'3" drivers (?) and the larger boiler, it's going to be if anything larger than a Y14. Serious, if old, motive power for the WNR.  The fenders suggest a need to increase tender coal loads. Are we now into working longer distance goods trains off-system?!?  

post-25673-0-03273000-1547101968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

With intertwined strands on McKenna and McDonnell, perhaps I'll try for thread convergence with McConnell:

attachicon.gifMcConnell Goods.jpg

Not that dissimilar, being of similar date - to McDonnell, that is, not McKenna, who as far as I'm aware never did design a 0-6-0.

Hand in hand with the strong Beyer, Peacock influence in the 19th century, there was a great deal of independent thinking among Irish locomotive superintendents in the early 20th century. We're familiar with Englishmen who returned home after cutting their teeth at Inchicore - Aspinall, Ivatt, Maunsell, also Robinson on the WL&WR - but the work of Coey, of Clifford and Glover at Dundalk, and Cusack at Broadstone deserves to be better known in Great Britain.

We have a McConnell down here - the first loco purchased for the NSWGR, imported in 1855.

Continuing our Australian habit of giving new things imaginative names - The Red Bellied Black Snake, The Great Sandy Desert, The Blue Ringed Octopus etc etc, it is called Locomotive Number One.

post-22541-0-52795400-1547105313_thumb.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

We have a McConnell down here - the first loco purchased for the NSWGR, imported in 1855.

Continuing our Australian habit of giving new things imaginative names - The Red Bellied Black Snake, The Great Sandy Desert, The Blue Ringed Octopus etc etc, it is called Locomotive Number One.

attachicon.gifNew_South_Wales_Government_Locomotive_No._1.jpg

Magnificent!  A Thing of Beauty.

Of course,the best known little BP 0-6-0 must be the Ilfracombe Goods. Neither Colonel Stephens nor the WNR will get hold of one in my modelling domain, however, as this will be reserved for a future Barnstaple Town project. 

post-25673-0-04919300-1547110632_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looking remarkably like "Iron Girder" illustrated on the cover of the hardback edition of "Raising Steam"...

(Although the end papers show the wheels of a 9F))

And it IS No 1!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Enjoy it while you can before it disappears into the void when the present PowerHouse Museum closes...

McConnell of course was a madman who once built an engine with both outside cylinders and outside frames with the aim of demolishing pesky platform edges

post-29975-0-99438900-1547128076.png

• Like 4