I wonder if it would be possible to index the thread without ending up in some form of Victorian asylum.

The page 1 index needs a lot of work. I tried to help Runs As Required with this, but an annoying limitation prevented this, viz, the only way to do this is by linking individual posts. For some reason my browser does not give me the option of naming links on RMWeb.

The result of this is that my links reproduce the entire url address, and cannot be abbreviated to a post number, e.g. "#994".

Another thing that I seem unable to do is place pictures within a post, i.e. to have text, picture, text etc, allowing me to caption pictures. 

Of course, this would represent the Victorian restoration of a window vandalised by Puritan iconoclasts in the Seventeenth Century.

I was rather hoping that something from the Middle Ages had survived....

Two outbursts of iconoclasm surely, one in the 1550s and another a century later. Still, it was remarkable what many local people managed to protect, under the 'official' white wash. I don't know as much about Norfolk in the 16th and 17th centuries as I do (if I can still remember my undergraduate dissertation) about two counties further south, but perhaps you could 'discover' some local history. Wall paintings perhaps? Or a window dismantled or boarded over? Or a chantry chapel protected by the local gentry family?

(I'm afraid I haven't studied the history of Castle Aching enough to know when the Erstwhiles appeared on the scene.)

• Like 2

I wonder if it would be possible to index the thread without ending up in some form of Victorian asylum.

I fear that even the most advanced Martian Intelligence, which has no doubt been observing the affairs of mankind with ever increasing horror, would fail to make head nor tail of the richness of this thread, let alone catalogue it!

I can't seem to escape bloody anime...

What is it that means virtually all the slightly-out-of-the-mainstream people I know (Not all of them railway modellers, and I am talking about reality not the forum here) like it?!

Anime?  You mean that we'll all be transmuted into Japanese schoolgirls with eyes large enough to be able to see in the deepest ocean trench?

Oh NOES!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Of course, this would represent the Victorian restoration of a window vandalised by Puritan iconoclasts in the Seventeenth Century.

Two outbursts of iconoclasm surely, one in the 1550s and another a century later. Still, it was remarkable what many local people managed to protect, under the 'official' white wash. I don't know as much about Norfolk in the 16th and 17th centuries as I do (if I can still remember my undergraduate dissertation) about two counties further south, but perhaps you could 'discover' some local history. Wall paintings perhaps? Or a window dismantled or boarded over? Or a chantry chapel protected by the local gentry family?

(I'm afraid I haven't studied the history of Castle Aching enough to know when the Erstwhiles appeared on the scene.)

There are some remarkable survivals in Norfolk, at Ludham the rood screen was dismantled and hidden in what had been the stairs to the rood screen.

http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/church.htm

Hempstead Chruch which still has no power or water, had an intact rood screen till a section was stolen in modern times.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Andrew%27s_Church,_Hempstead

As for medieval Stained glass.. http://www.tournorfolk.co.uk/stainedglass.html and

http://norfolkstainedglass.co.uk/angels/angels.shtm including a picture of an angel playing the Norfolk bagpipes...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Here in the south-east we have a very useful database of stained glass church windows, thanks to Robert Eberhard. It does not have illustrations, but it does give subject, maker, dedication etc. by church, by town or village by county. http://www.stainedglassrecords.org/. I have used it from both ends - so to speak - to identify what I have photographed and to find more examples of the same artist or see what a particular church has.

The oldest fragments I have found locally are these butterflies at the base of this window which, in 2004, replaced one damaged by fire. The date of the original is not recorded, but it is believed to have been by a Flemish artist, in the late 18th century. The new one is by Paul San Casciani, who also created a beautiful Millennium window inspired by the reputedly 1600 year-old yew outside the church.

post-14351-0-06370800-1546592163_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

Edwardian, has Steven Spielberg contacted you about the film rights yet?

Personally I will await the anime adaptation. The internet bookazine lacks any magical flying schoolgirls.

And pre-Raphaelits!

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The page 1 index needs a lot of work. I tried to help Runs As Required with this, but an annoying limitation prevented this, viz, the only way to do this is by linking individual posts. For some reason my browser does not give me the option of naming links on RMWeb.

The result of this is that my links reproduce the entire url address, and cannot be abbreviated to a post number, e.g. "#994".

Another thing that I seem unable to do is place pictures within a post, i.e. to have text, picture, text etc, allowing me to caption pictures.

Can’t speak for all of your issues, especially as you haven’t told us which browser and which operating system/device, but you can manually edit things. And when I say edit, I do mean post then edit. (I am using Safari on iOS, on an iPad.)

Paste the link into a post as per usual. Then using the post edit option, manually edit the link, to replace the text between the ] and [.

Leave the as they were, e.g. post number[ /url] (I have put a space in there to stop it working.)

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 2

I am tempted to see the Erstwhiles (though really that is the lordship, not the family name?) as relative parvenues.  Perhaps Whigs on the make in the 1680s, buying up the old Fitz Aching demesne, or perhaps acquiring it through marriage, and providing themselves with a new Hall in the Palladian manner in the first quarter of the Eighteenth Century.

Apropos of the incidence of new blood in the aristocracy, I recall one historian of the Fifteenth Century (K B McFarlane?) stating that at any point a third of the English nobility were parvenues.  Admittedly this was the century of the Wars of the Roses, so there was possibly a relatively high turnover, but even so it speaks of a degree of social mobility for the period that might surprise us.

Here in the south-east we have a very useful database of stained glass church windows, thanks to Robert Eberhard. It does not have illustrations, but it does give subject, maker, dedication etc. by church, by town or village by county. http://www.stainedglassrecords.org/. I have used it from both ends - so to speak - to identify what I have photographed and to find more examples of the same artist or see what a particular church has.

The oldest fragments I have found locally are these butterflies at the base of this window which, in 2004, replaced one damaged by fire. The date is not recorded but it is believed to be by a Flemish artist, in the late 18th century.

That is a marvelous window; a bold and beautiful design.  The Eighteenth Century Church of England was still a thing of plain glass and whitewashed walls so this is a stylistic rarity.  I suspect the native tradition had denied out, hence a Flemish artist.

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned the person who links toy trains and stained glass.

In my case the cause of your surprise would be my total ignorance on the point ...

Can’t speak for all of your issues, especially as you haven’t told us which browser and which operating system/device, but you can manually edit things. And when I say edit, I do mean post then edit. (I am using Safari on iOS, on an iPad.)

Paste the link into a post as per usual. Then using the post edit option, manually edit the link, to replace the text between the ] and [.

Leave the as they were, e.g. post number[ /url] (I have put a space in there to stop it working.)

PC on Windows 8 (I think) and with Internet Explorer and Chrome. 

I'll see if that works for me, thanks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What happened to the Official Indexer to the Erstwhiles?

I agree that sometimes it is very hard to get things in the right order. I recently had the same photo appear twice even though I had only inserted it once and the edit file showed that to be the case.

I guessed Ernest Twining not because of any knowledge of stained glass but because I recognised the loco.

I really feel that what the thread needs, or the multi-volume printed edition preferably, is a separate vellum bound index. But being an indexer I am not going to volunteer!

Lovely stained glass but if St Tabitha's had a 19th century makeover the chances are that our Lordship would have commissioned something from a currently fashionable artist, if he could afford it, or the local glassblower if he couldn't.

Jonathan

• Like 2

I can't seem to escape bloody anime...

What is it that means virtually all the slightly-out-of-the-mainstream people I know (Not all of them railway modellers, and I am talking about reality not the forum here) like it?!

What's not to like?

maxresdefault.jpg

Its simple escapism, just like building a model railway is and immersing yourself in your own created world.

Some of it is actually very good, artful and thought-provoking.

• Like 4

Lovely stained glass but if St Tabitha's had a 19th century makeover the chances are that our Lordship would have commissioned something from a currently fashionable artist, if he could afford it, or the local glassblower if he couldn't.

Jonathan

What I should be considering is a Field Trip to the real Norfolk.  One of the places I want to visit again is St James the Great, Castle Acre, as this is to be the model for St Tabitha, some consideration might be given to its history and windows.

Most prominent will be the East Window (given the intended orientation of the model) and at Castle Acre the window itself is Nineteenth Century, the architect Ewan Christian (1814–95): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewan_Christian. Here the stained glass appears limited to the roses.  

Perhaps we could retro-fit a Mediaeval window and replace that plain glass at St Tabitha's?

post-25673-0-02849200-1546604722.jpg

post-25673-0-93732400-1546604757_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

What's not to like?maxresdefault.jpg

Its simple escapism, just like building a model railway is and immersing yourself in your own created world.

What’s not to like?

Well, that’s definitely not pre-grouping. I mean, look at the hairstyles... ;)

What's not to like?

maxresdefault.jpg

Ah, now I never said that I have anything against it! It might not be my sort of thing, admittedly, but I was more curious as to why so many people, especially (as I said) those outside of the mainstream (which many railway modellers are, which is fantastic in itself!). I may have to give it another try at some stage, just out of curiosity. I have seen little bits of it in the past.

• RMweb Premium

Edwardian

Ernest Twining.

I honestly thought that stained glass aficionados would know him.

K

A remarkable man. I have his biography by Stan Buck.

His grandfather was a stained glass artist and passed on his skills to the young man. In his youth he trained both in art an electrical engineering. He began his career working in the telephone industry, where he became friends with Alfred Rosling Bennett (Chronicle of Boulton's Siding) and illustrated books for him. His attempt to break into the aeronautical business didn't meet much success but he set up in business as a model maker in Northampton  in association with Bassett-Lowke and produced many fine glass case models that are still to be found in museums. He designed miniature steam locos in association with Trevor Guest of Stourbridge who ran the Dudley Zoo Railway. During the war he returned to his Bristol birthplace to work as a draughtsman for the Bristol Aeroplane Co. After the war he worked for a Bristol stained glass company and designed his masterpieces Katie and Sian which served at Fairbourne for many years.

[Edit] With these locos, Twining is credited with starting the modern (neo-Heywood?) trend for locos on the "miniature" gauges to be styled as narrow-gauge machines in their own right, rather than pseudo-scale models in the Bassett-Lowke/Greenly tradition. The loco that Nearholmer illustrated is named Ernest W Twining and is one of Twining's own designs, but still adhering to the older tradition.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

Not too bothered about stained glass, but I do like wall paintings, pity they’re so rare. Here’s a couple, one from Claverley church I saw out on my bike, usually they’re painted to reinforce a biblical text, but knights fighting?? should keep the military uniform experts happy anyway, and then one from the remote Partrishow church, facing you as you leave the church, “Doom” awaiting for you at sometime in the future, particularly if you mix up your “anime” with your “hentai”.

post-26540-0-56343200-1546612007.jpeg

post-26540-0-80012400-1546612045.jpeg

• Like 4

Not too bothered about stained glass, but I do like wall paintings, pity they’re so rare. Here’s a couple, one from Claverley church I saw out on my bike, usually they’re painted to reinforce a biblical text, but knights fighting?? should keep the military uniform experts happy anyway, and then one from the remote Partrishow church, facing you as you leave the church, “Doom” awaiting for you at sometime in the future, particularly if you mix up your “anime” with your “hentai”.

attachicon.gif279A10AE-6491-486B-9E89-1642FDAE3A1F.jpeg

attachicon.gifE882FB6D-A130-4CF6-A53D-46FEBF50577F.jpeg

Perhaps the skelly is a warning to the bellringers to be careful?

As for hentai....  Wash your mouth out!!!  :nono:

• RMweb Premium

While visiting Partrishow, you should also explore the rather limited remains of the narrow gauge railway built when the Grwynne Fawr reservoir was being constructed.

Also perhaps Pont Escob where Bishop Baldwin stopped to preach wehen recruiting for the Crusades,

And another interesting old church,Cwmyoy. Let's just say the walls are not very vertical but it is still standing firm. The ideal prototype if your model church goes all skew wiff.

Also fo those challenged in the bridge building department, Crickhowell bridge which has one more arch on one side than on the other.

Re Sian and Katy, I always liked them and was sorry when the Fairbourne Railway changed gauge.

Jonathan