• RMweb Gold

But you could say he lost by winning.

Yes, but you compared him to winning by not losing, which is not what happened.

By the time he had won, he couldn’t afford to keep what he had won, which is still not the same as winning by not losing.

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

The lady on the left is Dorcas a.k.a. Tabitha - she and Eunice would fit nicely in the right hand window. It was installed in 1885, so in period I think.

attachicon.gifLewes St Michael Dorcas & Eunice by H Holiday studio James Powell & Sons no details.jpg

Dorcas, perfect for St Tabitha's.

Of course, this would represent the Victorian restoration of a window vandalised by Puritan iconoclasts in the Seventeenth Century.

I was rather hoping that something from the Middle Ages had survived, perhaps a west window with "all the exuberance of Chaucer without, happily, any of the concomitant crudities of his period".

Yes, but you compared him to winning by not losing, which is not what happened.

By the time he had won, there wasn’t anything left worth winning, which is still not the same.

And still better than losing!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

"all the exuberance of Chaucer without, happily, any of the concomitant crudities of his period".

During his period, of course, no one thought it crude: that quote is merely retrospective prudery. ;)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

During his period, of course, no one thought it crude: that quote is merely retrospective prudery. ;)

Well, it is a viewpoint placed in 1907 and, as for the author of the quote, "The D’Ascoynes certainly appeared to have accorded with the tradition of the landed gentry and sent the fool of the family into the Church"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dorcas, perfect for St Tabitha's.

Of course, this would represent the Victorian restoration of a window vandalised by Puritan iconoclasts in the Seventeenth Century.

I was rather hoping that something from the Middle Ages had survived, perhaps a west window with "all the exuberance of Chaucer without, happily, any of the concomitant crudities of his period".

In this area of Sussex there appears to be very little old glass about. A few churches have odd fragments, usually set in plain glass windows. The 1850s seems to be the earliest period for full images. We have some very nice works by Charles Kempe, Edward Burne Jones and Franz Mayer and some surprisingly modern looking glass from Harry Clarke, (1889 - 1931) without which, it seems, no self-respecting Irish church can exist. 

• RMweb Gold

Well, it is a viewpoint placed in 1907 and, as for the author of the quote, "The D’Ascoynes certainly appeared to have accorded with the tradition of the landed gentry and sent the fool of the family into the Church"

Having spotted that a church a few miles away but inaccessible by public transport, had some windows by 'The Wimbledon Ladies Arts College' I asked a friend to take me there. There seemed to be very little information about said college and few known examples of their windows. Their windows were fairly conventional in their subjects and style, but one stood out. Tabitha's son Timothy is shown as a deacon in a dalmatic (or possibly a sub-deacon in a tunicle), with a modern hairstyle.

post-14351-0-77310700-1546539580_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

A superb line from a superb film.

PS I wasn’t attributing the sentiment to you.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having spotted that a church a few miles away but inaccessible by public transport, had some windows by 'The Wimbledon Ladies Arts College' I asked a friend to take me there. There seemed to be very little information about said college and few known examples of their windows. Their windows were fairly conventional in their subjects and style, but one stood out. Tabitha's son Timothy is shown as a deacon in a dalmatic (or possibly a sub-deacon in a tunicle), with a modern hairstyle.

attachicon.gifJevington St Timothy WLAC.jpg

Timothy looks remarkably like our lady Rector....

• RMweb Gold

Well yes. But you have to have an internet connection to access it!  :jester:

Whereas with a bookazine, you need a connection to a bookshop, library, or the internet to place the order... ;)

• Like 2

If you had a bookazine like this thread, you wouldn't be able to hear yourself think for the sound of other books thumping onto the floor, as it continuously expanded, shoving them off the end of the shelf.

Cuckoo Publications bring you ........ The Edwardians! A 600-part series, which builds to give you a, well, a 600-part series ........ oh, sorry, no, 601 ..... 602 .......

Edited by Nearholmer

Sorry, I missed the swelling music, and words like "lavish", "never before brought together in one comprehensive edition", and "once in a lifetime opportunity" from Cuckoo Publications' announcement.

Please imagine them to be present, along with a graphic of a contented chap in an armchair, in front of a blazing fire, leafing through his "sumptuously bound" (no, not like that!) copies.

And, and ....... "Special Numbered Limited Edition Supplements covering: Empire Military Uniforms; A Certain Actress; Midland Five-Plank Open Wagons; A Certain Actress (Again); Shunting - The Finer Points; A Certain Actress (Reprised); and, Other Things. Each presented in a faux-leatherette slipcase, with a genuine facsimile reproduction certificate, printed in old-style typeface on yellow-edged paper to make it look a bit antique."

Actually, Cuckoo Publications really needs an owner and editor in chief, and its own private siding, from which to distribute its works, rather in the way that The Metropolitan Pyramid Company has Mr O'Doolight, and premises at Paltry Circus. Perhaps a lady this time ........ 

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

I can't seem to escape bloody anime...

What is it that means virtually all the slightly-out-of-the-mainstream people I know (Not all of them railway modellers, and I am talking about reality not the forum here) like it?!