That reminds me of a slighty humorous occurrence recently, Rob - Whilst watching the 1984 film adaptation of Nineteen Eighty-Four (and being skint I was having to watch it online), the second advert was for an in-home CCTV monitoring system!!!

That much I think Orwell got wrong - He didn't predict that we'd be buying the monitoring systems with our own money and at our own choice!

Was it Patrick McGoohan in 'The Prisoner'  who brought this so well to the small screen.

I was made to read 'Brave New World' when a young teenager in c1964, so it all fits, including 1984... 

the bit which missing is what to do when you are Speaker in the House of Commons in today's question time.

Who me, ?  off topic?    NEVER

typo edit

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Ooh, retarded dogs!!

Thats unkind!  Though it does describe a Red Setter very well.

However, if they got their bits stuck in a set of retarders, their "gravity-assisted shunting" behaviour would certainly be curtailed...

As for Orwell, the other thing about "Four legs good, two legs bad" was that by the end, the Pigs had recast it as "Four legs good, two legs BETTER!".

• Like 3

Thats unkind!  Though it does describe a Red Setter very well.

However, if they got their bits stuck in a set of retarders, their "gravity-assisted shunting" behaviour would certainly be curtailed...

As for Orwell, the other thing about "Four legs good, two legs bad" was that by the end, the Pigs had recast it as "Four legs good, two legs BETTER!".

Indeed.

If you think today's world bizarre then look at the life of Oppenheimer, then all seems rather calm.

To further this tide of calm I would suggest some attractive illustration of a train might suit, but I cannot find much from before 1914 in my library, and in the interests of thread integrity must avoid showing of such as I have recently produced.  As Trump would say, 'so sad.'   

• Like 3

The most bizzare part of it is that folk of our generation, who in the natural course of things would be drifting from radical youth towards reactionary old age, are mostly heading in the other direction...

Yep, I can see myself manning the barricades before I'm done!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind wishes of late. I have been extremely busy at work, but have made moderate progress.

Returning to the vexed question of the lighting of the Drill Hall, I've always had a thing about Aneucapnic lamps (it's a Betjeman allusion, and if there are any of you out there yet to read Archie & the Strict Baptists, please make amends and do so immediately!).

Turns out that Aneucapnic lamps are a species of oil lamp, so this probably does not advance matters.  I just like the name.  And, of course, the association.

post-25673-0-34452800-1545258357_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-46439600-1545258388_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-33558900-1545258443_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Oh that was brilliant! - I loved it.  Thank you very much for the link Don.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Where in Castle Aching are you going to put the graves of the baby druids?

Well, traditionally, those who were buried "Without the Grace of God"  were buried at a crossroads.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Nearholmer is right.  One of the challenges of the 'older' faiths is that many left us no writings, and 'victors' tend to write the history.  For the worshippers of some of the 'old gods' being buried or cremated at a crossroads may be regarded as a blessing rather than a sign of condemnation, etc.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2

Returning to the vexed question of the lighting of the Drill Hall, I've always had a thing about Aneucapnic lamps (it's a Betjeman allusion, and if there are any of you out there yet to read Archie & the Strict Baptists, please make amends and do so immediately!).

I read it to my kids. Not sure they were impressed
  • Like 1

Where in Castle Aching are you going to put the graves of the baby druids?

Druids?  In West Norfolk?

Far too dry, but if needs must, surely they would require an oaken grove, bedecked with mistletoe!

But then, I'm not at all sure it's a children's book!

Have you seen how much vendors want for a copy nowadays?

One of the rules for the Rainhill Trials stated that the locomotives must be aneucapnic, though not stating it in such terms!

My very limited Greek tells me aneucaptic means non-smoking, sort of, but they didn't have the technology to do that in 1829. What gives?