• RMweb Gold

Honestly, I had to say it to someone else earlier - Confusion is my job! Just you wait until I tell the NUR Branch representative about this reckless pinching of my job... 

:P

The NUR didn’t exist at the time of CA, being a prewar but post-Edwardian creation (in 1913) formed out of the merger of the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants (founded 1872), the United Pointsmen and Signalmen's Society (founded 1880) and the General Railway Workers' Union (founded 1889).

Looking at that Herbert in the Norfolk jacket, I thought his boots and puttees look very dodgy, and so I clicked on the image, and got the caption as well. Well, I meantersay, nuff said, know what I mean.

I never thought to do that.

"Tomorrow Belongs to Me", eh?

He’ll be the baddie, then, now that other twit has put her in the club and tooled off to Ireland.

Oh if only you knew the half of it!

The NUR didn’t exist at the time of CA, being a prewar but post-Edwardian creation (in 1913) formed out of the merger of the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants (founded 1872), the United Pointsmen and Signalmen's Society (founded 1880) and the General Railway Workers' Union (founded 1889).

Ah, but you forget that as far as being a railway servant is concerned I live in 1948...

When on duty, this is the period and place I inhabit:
post-33498-0-72504900-1545085495_thumb.jpg
post-33498-0-30098400-1545085519_thumb.jpg

We like to think that we do a reasonable job of evoking something like the past of our station, something that is increasingly hard to do on heritage railways.

station1900.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

station1956.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 4

I think the caption indicated he was German.

Unlike us! Nein! Wir Medstead Platform Staff are not Deutschen and werden definitiely keine Spione zur Überwachung des Eisenbahnverkehrs nach Southampton geschickt!

When on duty, this is the period and place I inhabit:

But where is the Stevens drop-flap ground signal?  Has that foreign chappie purloined it?

I can sell you an etched kit for one of these.   :boast: Unfortunately it's only about 7mm high!  :O

Jim

• Like 2

The lovely drop-flap was replaced sometime after the grouping but before preservation - A disc is evident in BR-era photos. Today the disc itself has been relocated to a new signal - the Down Starter from platform one. There are many signals which were not there originally, simply to permit more flexible operation as required by a heritage railway.

Where is the shocked wide-eyed appalled button when you need it.  GokQJBt.png

We always need extra buttons.....

The dead-eyed fish expression of the photo referred to earlier immediately brought "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" to mind.  Its also an excellent harbinger of the fate of all the characters in the film.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The lovely drop-flap was replaced sometime after the grouping but before preservation - A disc is evident in BR-era photos. Today the disc itself has been relocated to a new signal - the Down Starter from platform one. There are many signals which were not there originally, simply to permit more flexible operation as required by a heritage railway.

I think a lot of people forget this about heritage/preserved railways: they are functional railway companies, and as such need to keep things up to date with legal requirements and operational needs.

Whilst, say, an LMS 8F in crimson lake may not be historically authentic, it is nevertheless the livery that the current (or then current - I don’t follow the ins and outs of the preserved scene) owner wants, and this is no different to the choices made by previous owners, in that if they own it, they can do what they like.

In a museum setting, rather than an operational railway, then historical accuracy takes a higher priority of course.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

I think a lot of people forget this about heritage/preserved railways: they are functional railway companies, and as such need to keep things up to date with legal requirements and operational needs.

Whilst, say, an LMS 8F in crimson lake may not be historically authentic, it is nevertheless the livery that the current (or then current - I don’t follow the ins and outs of the preserved scene) owner wants, and this is no different to the choices made by previous owners, in that if they own it, they can do what they like.

In a museum setting, rather than an operational railway, then historical accuracy takes a higher priority of course.

Quite right. I think people also often forget facts that, for example and unless I'm mistaken, SECR No.323 has now been in the ownership of the Bluebell Railway for longer than all of its other previous owners combined, so perhaps Bluebell blue is its most authentic livery!

With regards the Mid Hants, I'd suggest that we at Medstead try our hardest to maintain authenticity. There are, naturally, some modern items a round but the overall impression is similar to that of half a century ago. The main alteration that destroys that impression, to me, is the ex-Cowes footbridge. This is a classic example of the railway having to adapt to modern standards. None of the stations between Alton and Winchester (Medstead & Four Marks, Ropley, Alresford and Itchen Abbas) were built with footbridges or subways with passengers crossing the line by means of a barrow crossing at each end of the platforms.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Alright, alright. Sorry... erm... ah. Um... 

;)

Sorry Mister!

No?

Okay...

I guess I shall have to resort to colloquial youth parlance.

Deep breath...

Sorry bruv.

Urgh... I feel dirty... 

:P

Well, you could simply use my given name, Simon.

After all, it’s how I sign my posts.

Funny you should mention that.

Miss Stepney again, riding side-saddle on the locomotive of an obscure emu-operated light railway somewhere foreign.

'stralian, deffo!

What I can't work out is where Rod Hull has his hand(s)...

Saunters off, overcoat over arm, hat firmly on head, whistling nonchalantly......  :whistle:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1