He'll ruin himself within a year and go to the colonies as a manager until people in society forget what he did. He can come back as a successful man of business in 5 years and marry some poor unsuspecting woman.

Isn't that taken directly from Agatha Christie's Third Girl?

• Like 1

Rising slowly I put forward this point of order "No Gentleman would ever be associated with such behavior" however he may well own a Norfolk Jacket, and, damn it man, it’s his own business if he has a nervous habit that requires him to carry his knitting with him wherever he goes.”

• Like 1

He'll ruin himself within a year and go to the colonies as a manager until people in society forget what he did. He can come back as a successful man of business in 5 years and marry some poor unsuspecting woman.

No sir, in the colonies he'll contract malaria and be dead before a year has turned.

Isn't that taken directly from Agatha Christie's Third Girl?

Not consciously aware of having read that one, so either I have the same thought processes as an ageing literary dame of a previous era, or it was common at the time. I rather hope its the second option.

• RMweb Gold

One never strikes a woman...

I am distressed.

Very distressed.

I was expecting better from you, especially you.

Whilst she may have many great and exemplary womanly assets, indeed she is the veritable apotheosis of womanhood, Miss Agutter is never a woman.

She is a lady, pure and simple.

Yes Sir, you are quite right. I'm actually ashamed of myself - Over the past few months I've stopped making the distinction as I feared I was being a bit too stuck up my own @rse!

You may have noted though that when referring to several contributors around here they are always the ladies of the pre-grouping section, never simply the women of the pre-grouping section! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of the story of an ardent feminist for whom a gentleman held open a door.

Lady: 'Sir, there is no need to hold open the door because I'm a lady.'

Gentleman: 'Madam, I didn't hold it open because you are a lady.  I held it open because I am a Gentleman.'

Jim

A colleague was once memorably chastised for not holding a door open for a person of the female gender - she was some way away and it wasn’t clear if she was headed our way: “If you were a gentleman, you would have held that door open.”

To which he retorted, “If you were a lady, you wouldn’t have commented!”

The point is, it’s not about ladies or gentlemen, it is simply good manners to hold the door open for someone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Sir, you are quite right. I'm actually ashamed of myself - Over the past few months I've stopped making the distinction as I feared I was being a bit too stuck up my own @rse!

Not in her case.

And knock off the “Sir” stuff, too. :)

• Like 1

Amen to that sir. Though... I am a tad sexist in that regard sometimes. I find that if I'm in a rush I'm more likely to hold a door for a lady than for a bloke...

And on platform duty where there are sometimes several doors to be held open I will usually choose one for a Lady.

Especially a young and attractive one... Or one that I'm subconsciously flirting with - that happens.

Oh, and I've edited my post - Woman has become Lady...

SAH!!!

Edited by sem34090

Alright, alright. Sorry... erm... ah. Um... 

;)

Sorry Mister!

No?

Okay...

I guess I shall have to resort to colloquial youth parlance.

Deep breath...

Sorry bruv.

Urgh... I feel dirty... 

:P

Edited by sem34090

Alright, alright. Sorry... erm... ah. Um... 

;)

Sorry Mister!

No?

Okay...

I guess I shall have to resort to colloquial youth parlance.

Deep breath...

Sorry bruv.

Urgh... I feel dirty... 

:P

Surely its

Respek, bruv....

Landlord!

Another quart of your finest!!!