Probably the accompaniment to the choir invisible.

Miss Stepney seems to have been a woman of many talents: not only could she amuse members of the kennel club, in some unspecified way, but she also seems to have been a stone mason, and one not afraid to sign and date her work.

post-26817-0-07581800-1545039443_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

He was c25 older, and only lasted another five years.

But, the really interesting bit is how her father died. Like the NPOS, you couldn't make this up! https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1909/07/03/101889392.pdf He was apparently in the area Yuma searching for a particularly rare butterfly to add to his collection. another version says that he died of heat exhaustion while collecting beetles in the desert.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

There’s a bit of a mismatch in ages there, isn’t there? What’s a nice young girl like our Miss Stepney doing marrying a doddery old **** like that?

Not too unusual in olden times, especially if a widower were remarrying or, as might have been the case here, a second son was marrying someone with a good dowry.

Sorry about that.

Curry last night.

Pardon me...

Normally I abhor violence and guns, but he struck Miss Agutter.

One never strikes a lady...

Something I'm afraid many of my peers seem to forget. Until they get a rather larger comeuppance from said woman or possibly from another one of us...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3

Miss Stepney seems to have been a woman of many talents: not only could she amuse members of the kennel club, in some unspecified way, but she also seems to have been a stone mason, and one not afraid to sign and date her work.

Her English was pretty poor however.

attachicon.gifEast (1). L.jpg

Here is a shot of the quay at Blakeney in the 1880s. The Bluejacket is at the front of the line.

The Bluejacket was a billyboy. Built on the Humber and more seagoing than the keels or sloops. They were used mainly to take coal from the Humber ports to the Thames and other the places on the east coast.

Edited by billbedford

The Bluejacket was a billyboy. Built on the Humber and more seagoing than the keels or sloops. They were used mainly to take coal from the Humber ports to the Thames and other the places on the east coast.

To be precise, the Bluejacket was built at Walsoken (near Wisbech) in 1860 and was 57 tons GRT. She first appeared in the Blakeney Harbour Account books in May 1867 and, under local owners, continued trading until 1909. Soon after that she was converted into a houseboat and, as I said before, finally rotten away on Morston marshes.

But, the really interesting bit is how her father died. Like the NPOS, you couldn't make this up! https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1909/07/03/101889392.pdf He was apparently in the area Yuma searching for a particularly rare butterfly to add to his collection. another version says that he died of heat exhaustion while collecting beetles in the desert.

So he was on the 3:10 to Yuma?  Bad move!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Joking aside, here is a film of Miss Stepney and Earl Stafford's wedding in 1911, after she'd given-up 'amusing' and masonry, presumably. https://www.huntleyarchives.com/preview.asp?image=1011002

Our host is seen, photo-bombing again, c1:42.

Brilliant find!

And we got here from agricultural organisations...

One never strikes a woman...

Something I'm afraid many of my peers seem to forget. Until they get a rather larger comeuppance from said woman or possibly from another one of us...

These folk traditions are often founded on good sound practical experience.

• Like 1

These folk traditions are often founded on good sound practical experience.

Well quite!

Of course, such behaviour is extremely sexist, but even the most ardent feminists amongst the young ladies of my acquaintance (!) don't seem to mind...

And I'm talking about feminism again... My apologies to you all!

Definitely a bounder, probably a cad.  I wonder if that switch is the regulation "less than one fingers breadth", suitable for chastisement...

He's certainly a humourless-looking chap.

The dog looks wary.

Hope he's not related to anyone here...

Edited by Hroth

Reminds me of the story of an ardent feminist for whom a gentleman held open a door.

Lady: 'Sir, there is no need to hold open the door because I'm a lady.'

Gentleman: 'Madam, I didn't hold it open because you are a lady.  I held it open because I am a Gentleman.'

Jim

• Like 8

Reminds me of the story of an ardent feminist for whom a gentleman held open a door.

Lady: 'Sir, there is no need to hold open the door because I'm a lady.'

Gentleman: 'Madam, I didn't hold it open because you are a lady.  I held it open because I am a Gentleman.'

Jim

I'll remember that one Jim! ;)