What I particularly enjoy about this Edwardian piece of Perp fakery is that it will confound those in later centuries who will think it's hand craftsmanship to be genuine C15/16

(Like the Cumbrian vicar who faked Roman Latin graffiti down by the Irthing)

I'm sure Pevsner must have visited West Norfolk. I wonder what he would have made of the Gatehouse windows?  Betjeman too, would he have enthused about St Tabithas?

• Like 3

What I particularly enjoy about this Edwardian piece of Perp fakery is that it will confound those in later centuries who will think it's hand craftsmanship to be genuine C15/16

(Like the Cumbrian vicar who faked Roman Latin graffiti down by the Irthing)

Well you've got to be thinking of future practical jokers, haven't you? xD

post-25673-0-31960400-1544342672_thumb.j

Good Heavens! That is stunning! And he claims he's of mediocre ability...

Drop the disguise now sonny, the game's up!!!

Well, actually, I have decided to re-do it, although I am trying to salvage the gothic tracery as re-doing that would be a bind.

Well, whatever it is that is causing you to re-think, the current overall effect c'est magnifique.

Thank you.

My fault, and nothing really to do with the window itself.  I felt that the two recessed brick arches were too deep.  This seemed to upset the proportions for me, so I am going to cut them back, which will give the three main window sections about 2mm more height.  I'll have to re-glaze in order to do so. 

A Christmas (well, New Year) treat for all JA fans - The Railway Children is to be broadcast on BBC1 at 1pm on New Years Day!

And for further railway viewing there's Brief Encounter on the 29th at 6.50AM (!!!) on ITV3 and The Titfield Thunderbolt on 2nd January at 9.40AM (Can't leave, Squires not 'ere!) on BBC2.

So at least The Railway Children and The Thunderbolt won't be diced up by pesky adverts...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And for further railway viewing there's Brief Encounter 

Brief Encounter is compulsory viewing for all modellers of the LMS in the late 30s through to mid-40s - OBSERVE THAT NEARLY ALL CARRIAGES ARE FULLY LINED OUT MIDLAND STYLE; INCLUDING ALL THE PANELLED CARRIAGES. 

I went to the Peterborough Festival of Model Railways yesterday. As a show with a RTR bias, there was relatively little pre-grouping interest, but there is yet Hope (it was under Dinmore). And for those of you who like a Crampton, here's a clinical overdose:

attachicon.gifIMG_6020.jpg

I went along today and Hope-under-Dinmore was my favourite layout. 1904 GW-LNWR joint. Stephen Williams (or was it Rex Davidson?) was there as well with Faringdon his beautiful GWR BLT. The other highlights were Kensington Addison Road, Remagen Bridge (though it seemed to suffer from some iffy running) and Bournmouth West. Micro layouts seemed to be the flavour of the day with diesel MPDs the majority, or so it seemed. Lots of useful traders and I picked up some bits and bobs from Skytrex, Wizard/51L and a couple of others.

• Like 4

My Goodness! A true perfectionist.

It puts me in mind of the awful dilemma of a supervising architect: what it is justifiable to condemn - as opposed to (the Kleinian notion of) 'the Good Enough Mother'?

I remember certain contractors were notorious for having whole banks of administrators working on squeezing out savings on short cuts. One always had to walk the delicate line between target dates/ cost implications/quality.

Judgement about condemn or let it pass was particularly critical in Africa where a whole year group might miss out on a chance of secondary education.

• Like 4

Well, after having spent a few years attempting to get through the modern education system with neither a home computer nor a home internet connection, I am sorry to report that it is almost impossible. Schools expect these things. Homework is set online, documents are often expected to be typed.

I remember the final large piece of work I did without a laptop. It was in year nine (so I was... 14) and it was a history research project. My chosen topic was "I. K. Brunel and the GWR". So, for the first lesson of doing this the teacher asked us all to bring in our laptops so that we could do research and get typing. He was almost dismayed when I turned up with a pile of books, a pair of pads and some writing materials! He actually asked me why I'd brought it all in place of a laptop. He refused to accept that I didn't actually own one, nor did I own a smartphone!!! I wrote the whole thing out by hand, drew my own illustrations based on photos in books and from taking a sketchbook to Didcot. I was really proud of myself when I handed it in.

Then he handed it straight back and told me he wanted it typed with photos. Oh, and he wanted it 'properly researched using the internet'. Honestly telling me that the internet is more reliable than the 25 books I used as well as the resources of two museums I visited?!

So I spent a depressing afternoon typing it all out in the school library then I think in a fit of sadness/anger I destroyed the original.

Unfortunately I still have him for A Level history. And he still has something against me!!!

Was goin to comment on this sooner but it slipped my mind (Who said "what mind" :triniti:) The pillock should not be anywhere near people who want to learn. At least he hasnt put you off Sem. Dont let him win!

Well, in the picture is just the PAD (pencil aided design) drawing.  The ex-packaging clear plastic is laid over it and the drawing used as the guide for scribing the plastic. Paint is then applied and rubbed off the plastic, leaving it only in the scribed lines. 

The result is far from perfect, but, then, not so bad as it might have been!

This gets more amazing by the day!

• RMweb Premium

You have my sympathies, SEM. I recently used the 'net to try to find out something about Llandinam Bridge, which has a connection to David Davies of railway contracting, Ocean Coal Company and Barry Railway fame. Fortunately I knew the basics and wanted to check on the spelling of a name, as I found four different versions of the story only one of which was correct - the "best" stated that the bridge had been built for the industrialist DD to give him access to his house. The fact is that it was built when he was still a farmer and it was his first ever civil engineering contract, as he had been spotted by the County Surveyor, Penson. And it was only a small part of the contract, not the bridge itself. Even the Welsh government site had it wrong. So never trust the 'net for research.

Mind you don't trust books either. I was upbraided about the first article I ever wrote, in which I said something gleaned from one of the respected authors on the subject, only to be told that it was wrong. And there is a photo of two Rhymney Railway carriages which has been published several times with an incorrect caption.

Unfortunately, not all of us can spend time at York etc doing that primary research and have to rely on the work of others.

Also, remember that history is written by the winners. Ask the losers and you will get a different version. Of course neither may be correct.

Or to be safe, write your own, as we do here.

Jonathan

• Like 12