Good luck with the house. Horses and houses and their associated financial commitments (manifesting in apparent constant work) seem to be something of a bar to modelling. I've not been on the forum for over a year due to other commitments. Hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel for you.

• RMweb Premium

Probably needs an NLR expert to answer, but did the LNWR reprint any of the coaches in their scheme after they took over?

A great while ago we spent many pages pinning down the identity of a grounded coach in the background of a photo of a M&GN Class C 4-4-0 at Norwich, said to be c.1896. This was eventually identified as being a North London Railway carriage, of which 28 were purchased - probably before the formation the Joint, so by the Eastern & Midlands. What was striking about the body was the rather neatly-executed livery of pale upper panels (lower panels not visible) with mouldings picked out in a dark colour. This doesn't, as far as I'm aware, correspond to any livery style used by the E&M or M&GN. 

A photo has been posted recently on the LNWR Soc's Facebook page, showing several ex-NLR carriages in a LNWR train near Leicester, sporting what appears to be the standard LNWR carriage livery of white upper panels and lake lower panels and beading. This would match the style of the Norwich body. However, the photo is dated c. 1924! The LNWR took over operation of the NLR in 1909, though formal amalgamation came a few months before the Grouping.

So, the explanation I offer for the colour scheme of the grounded body at Norwich is that there was a prescient LNWR enthusiast on the shed staff. 

Edited by Compound2632

A great while ago we spent many pages pinning down the identity of a grounded coach in the background of a photo of a M&GN Class C 4-4-0 at Norwich, said to be c.1896. This was eventually identified as being a North London Railway carriage, of which 28 were purchased - probably before the formation the Joint, so by the Eastern & Midlands. What was striking about the body was the rather neatly-executed livery of pale upper panels (lower panels not visible) with mouldings picked out in a dark colour. This doesn't, as far as I'm aware, correspond to any livery style used by the E&M or M&GN. 

A photo has been posted recently on the LNWR Soc's Facebook page, showing several ex-NLR carriages in a LNWR train near Leicester, sporting what appears to be the standard LNWR carriage livery of white upper panels and lake lower panels and beading. This would match the style of the Norwich body. However, the photo is dated c. 1924! The LNWR took over operation of the NLR in 1909, though formal amalgamation came a few months before the Grouping.

So, the explanation I offer for the colour scheme of the grounded body at Norwich is that there was a prescient LNWR enthusiast on the shed staff. 

I still say it's in West Norfolk Railway green and cream.

• Like 6

Yes, they seem to have made theirs at the same time that Hornby shelved the plans for what would have been a far superior product, 1951.

HomeBargains are selling a near-S gauge plastic toy train (Battery loco, two coaches and some plastic track), for a tenner at the moment....  Ideal for a semi-disposable round-the-tree xmas decoration.  I'm thinking of getting one to repurpose as the Wyrm of Limerick*, a Corbettite Railway** express service***.

Ok, completely off topic but hey, only 23 more days to go to the Yule Madness!!!  :senile:

*   post-21933-0-58340900-1543701408.jpg

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20140307#.XAMCozHLi9J

**   http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Corbettite_Railway

*** I agree, I do read some dreadful tosh....

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium

HomeBargains are selling a near-S gauge plastic toy train (Battery loco, two coaches and some plastic track), for a tenner at the moment....  Ideal for a semi-disposable round-the-tree xmas decoration.  I'm thinking of getting one to repurpose as the Wyrm of Limerick*, a Corbettite Railway** express service***.

Ok, completely off topic but hey, only 23 more days to go to the Yule Madness!!!  :senile:

*   attachicon.gifWyrm Of Limerick s.jpg

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20140307#.XAMCozHLi9J

**   http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Corbettite_Railway

*** I agree, I do read some dreadful tosh....

Oh I don't know about that, I've been following the 'Girl Genius' webcomic for quite some time now.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, Girl Genius is well worth a look. Special kudos to the first person to model the flamethrower in the smokebox.

Externally* gas-fired tube within the boiler shell, as per Roundhouse et al 16mm live steam locos?

* I know that you will see it described as “internally fired” because the fire tube is surrounded by water, but internally fired means that the drought for the fire is provided by the engine exhaust. Externally fired means that it simply uses the air that is available.

James,

Hope all goes well with the house.  Completion in two weeks, have you already exchanged?

Yes, thank you.

We have exchanged.

I had to work again this weekend, but managed some time yesterday afternoon on the Drill Hall. So far,so good, however. 

That modelling holiday sounds appealing.  Perhaps I could take a couple of extra days over the Festive Period for starters? 

• Like 4