Deja Vu?  I believe someone, somewhere knows all the ins and outs of the Castle Aching thread.  I doubt it's James, though.  I started at Page 1 when I began following, there's some interesting stuff back there, but I gave up when I realised the nature of the beast.  

Really pleased you've exchanged  especially as it's not that long ago that I read about the caravan interlude.  As someone whose been in a motorhome for nearly four years during renovations, I could empathise.  Now, when you get the proceeds, don't spend it all in the one shop.

Deja Vu?  I believe someone, somewhere knows all the ins and outs of the Castle Aching thread.  I doubt it's James, though.  

Agree

I started at Page 1 when I began following, there's some interesting stuff back there, but I gave up when I realised the nature of the beast.  

Shame!

it's not that long ago that I read about the caravan interlude.  

Arrrrgh, flashback!!!!

Now, when you get the proceeds, don't spend it all in the one shop.

Don't worry, there won't be any!

Deja Vu? I believe someone, somewhere knows all the ins and outs of the Castle Aching thread. I doubt it's James, though. I started at Page 1 when I began following, there's some interesting stuff back there, but I gave up when I realised the nature of the beast.

Preliminary research suggests a cyclical return to various known topics. I'm currently crunching numbers to see if the gaps between returning to a topic are getting smaller or larger. Getting smaller means we're circling a drain, getting larger would suggest spiralling outwards forever. Once I've worked out which it is, we should be able to predict if the thread will ever come to a conclusion, and if so, when it ought to be.

At that point we can publish the expected date and people could just check back in then.

I'm afraid that i can't predict the nature of said conclusion, should it exist. Nor confirm whether it'll involve model trains

:)

Edited by brack
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Preliminary research suggests a cyclical return to various known topics. I'm currently crunching numbers to see if the gaps between returning to a topic are getting smaller or larger. Getting smaller means we're circling a drain, getting larger would suggest spiralling outwards forever. Once I've worked out which it is, we should be able to predict if the thread will ever come to a conclusion, and if so, when it ought to be.

At that point we can publish the expected date and people could just check back in then.

I'm afraid that i can't predict the nature of said conclusion, should it exist. Nor confirm whether it'll involve model trains

:)

The mean JA frequency is probably a sufficient measure. One also has to consider that the Ptolemaic rather than Copernican model applies - within each topic cycle there are epicycles of sub-topics. There's also the over-riding external constraint: how much progress Edwardian has been making on the construction of his model railway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If we are not careful, we may do something catastrophic to the space-time continuum, involving the accidental creation of a time machine whilst reversing through a hysteresis loop.

I urge a degree of caution.

PS I urge also a degree in temporal physics.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 2

An alternative possibility is that the thread is actually held in a sensibly static orbit by the gravitational pull exerted by Jenny Agutter.

The reappearances of other subjects could be the result of the thread rotating as it orbits, or more likely tumbling as it orbits, given its highly irregular shape.

Of course, if the thread is actually under simultaneous gravitational pull by several attractive objects, the maths involved in calculating its path will be really, really, really hard!

Well, thank you all and fingers crossed indeed. Thinking we have sold the house and finding that we haven't has certainly given us the feeling of déjà vu a number of times over the last three years.

Completion set for 2 weeks' time.  First purchase in our post-completion splurge will be some heating oil, so hopefully only another fortnight to go without central heating and hot running water, yay! 

Not as grim as it sounds, not least because we have had to get used to such conditions over the years.  I am sanguine, however, because it beats living through winter in a touring caravan!  

The kids will get the first decent Christmas in a decade, since the credit crunch, so things are looking up on the Tiny Tim front.

I will also be considering a number of long-deferred railway-related purchases. I hope the main benefit will be the ability to plan a "railway holiday" whereby I can take some time off to do some modelling!

Please, please can the sale go through this time!!!

In the meantime, I must steady myself with the caution that this is not the end, though we might be a little further on than the end of the beginning.  Perhaps this is the beginning of the end of so many worries. 

post-25673-0-04563400-1543391608.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah, back to the Devils in Skirts!

PS: Good news, though I am actually too much of a brittle, beaten down, exhausted, defeated and depressed nervous wreck to experience either pleasure or relief, but today we exchanged contracts on the house.

I'll let you know once the Fat Lady's sung.

Excellent news James 

Don

• RMweb Premium

That is excellent news James.  I think we shall be holding our breath with you waiting for the sale to go through and the money to be deposited to your bank account.  

Please please please universe/karma/the Force/god/goddess/wee folk under the green hill, - be kind to James this Christmas.  

• Like 1

I may be guilty of spreading fake news!

Did I , earlier in this thread, say that Bassett-Lowke planned to make an S-scale-ish range post-WW2? I think I did.

Well, I had mis-remembered. It was Hornby/Meccano, not B-L.

Full details in HRCA 'The Hornby Collector' September 2012. I'm in the process of deciding what to recycle, so if anyone wants this edition, PM me. Its contains a photo of a really good coach prototype. 

I may be guilty of spreading fake news!

Did I , earlier in this thread, say that Bassett-Lowke planned to make an S-scale-ish range post-WW2? I think I did.

Well, I had mis-remembered. It was Hornby/Meccano, not B-L.

Full details in HRCA 'The Hornby Collector' September 2012. I'm in the process of deciding what to recycle, so if anyone wants this edition, PM me. Its contains a photo of a really good coach prototype.

Palitoy also once planned an S scale range, long before Mainline. They produced mock ups of a coach and a GWR large prairie. Edited by Denbridge