• RMweb Gold

The Gentry have apways appeared not to be adverse to increasing their gene pool. 

Don                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

• RMweb Premium

Right, I now have to find a name for the pub in Nantcwmdu, c 1912. If it was mid Wales it could be the - colour of choice - Lion. A quick trawl of local pubs is not very inspiring - the Bedlinog Inn! So how about the Hollybush in Treharris? If it was the Home Counties I would opt for the Marquis of Granby as there are numerous pubs so named by former soldiers, those whom he funded to start the businesses. And Sarn certainly doesn't have anything so grand as an inn. Of course it could be The Miner's Arms, One near here in Priest Weston is frequented by one of my railway modelling colleagues. And before you ask. it is lead mining.

Re Rev Beal, unless a website I consulted is wrong his stuff will be in copyright until 2055 as he died in 1985.

And to save an extra entry, the next issue of the HMRS Journal has an article on First World War military traffic with some pre-war photos of volunteers going to camps by train. The author comments that one of the first jobs for the railways when war was declared was to get all the volunteers home from their camps. From 1911 things were already preparing for war, but I don't know how far back extensive training camps for volunteers started.

Jonathan

The first railway detective in fiction was both vegetarian and tetotal, Thorp Hazell created by The Rev Victor L Whitechurch.

I see that a BBC audio CD is currently available of The Rev Victor L Whitechurch's thrilling stories read by Benedict Cumberbatch

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

And to save an extra entry, the next issue of the HMRS Journal has an article on First World War military traffic with some pre-war photos of volunteers going to camps by train. The author comments that one of the first jobs for the railways when war was declared was to get all the volunteers home from their camps. From 1911 things were already preparing for war, but I don't know how far back extensive training camps for volunteers started.

Jonathan

Volunteer camps seem to have started in the 1860s and really took off as large-scale affairs in the 1870s and 1880s.

Is the Norfolk, England, or Norfolk, Virginia?

Anyway, I see that they are the Admin Battalion, so presumably discussing the finer-points of double-entry book-keeping, and preparing a really good archiving-system.

I wonder how a battalion of clerks would drill. is there a precisely-determined 'army way' of using a rubber-stamp, for instance?

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

Right, I now have to find a name for the pub in Nantcwmdu, c 1912. If it was mid Wales it could be the - colour of choice - Lion. A quick trawl of local pubs is not very inspiring - the Bedlinog Inn! So how about the Hollybush in Treharris? If it was the Home Counties I would opt for the Marquis of Granby as there are numerous pubs so named by former soldiers, those whom he funded to start the businesses. And Sarn certainly doesn't have anything so grand as an inn. Of course it could be The Miner's Arms, One near here in Priest Weston is frequented by one of my railway modelling colleagues. And before you ask. it is lead mining.

Re Rev Beal, unless a website I consulted is wrong his stuff will be in copyright until 2055 as he died in 1985.

Jonathan

If you can keep clear of deliberate misunderstandings, there’s the pub at Aberllynfi on the Cambrian?

Edit: Tacking this on the end of the post, another bright idea, How about another one on the Cambrian, a station named after a village named after a pub, Four Crosses ?

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

But are they the right numbers???

Absolutely.  Counting up to 4 would be considered a dangerous innovation in military circles.

Someone should produce, possibly has produced, one of those 'hilarious' bumper stickers for shouty NCOs: Drill Instructors Do It By Numbers

As I say, such bumper stickers/T-shirts/Tea Towels etc are hilarious. Really, really hilarious.

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan

Duke of Devonshire?

Widely involved in mining operations (mainly lead) across the UK.

Seeing as Great Britain came moderately close to entering the war on the Confederate side (Albion perfide), possibly less difference than one might want to suppose.

Indeed, but all concerned were dressed as Frenchmen(!), as the French tended to set military fashion.  After all, they are wearing a species of képi.

The extent of the French influence is attested to by the wearing by a number of units in the American Civil War of zouave costumes, based on French North African uniforms. 

Even weirder, the British Nyasaland Sikhs also dressed in this style.  

If you can keep clear of deliberate misunderstandings, there’s the pub at Aberllynfi on the Cambrian?

Edit: Tacking this on the end of the post, another bright idea, How about another one on the Cambrian, a station named after a village named after a pub, Four Crosses ?

Why did they call it Three Cocks Junction rather than Aberllynfi?  Without wishing to start another hare, there are several stations named after pubs, i believe.

• RMweb Premium

To get us back to railways for a moment, and being in a bit of a pro-Euston mood at present, I will assert that John Ramsbottom's invention of water pick-up apparatus and first installation of troughs on the Chester & Holyhead line in 1860 was a contribution to the ultimate Union victory in the American Civil War. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Seeing as Great Britain came moderately close to entering the war on the Confederate side (Albion perfide), possibly less difference than one might want to suppose.

It was pretty provocative building warships* for the Rebs....

Of couse, Manchester cotton merchants didn't want to to see their raw materials blockaded.

*If we had sent them North British Warships, the Union would have paid for them themselves!

Edited by Hroth

And, having spent most of my daughter’s karate class reading about zouaves, I still can’t work it what, apart from pantomime trousers, set them apart from not-zouaves.

Their combat ethic and tactical doctrine set them apart; they were originally a species of light infantry and used aggressive assault tactics which were apparently copied from the combat rushes of the indigineous tribesmen France was fighting in her N African colonies. The original headgear was the Fez and the baggy pantaloons also spoke of Algerian origins. They sometimes wore a short bolero jacket as well, with a certain ethnic style of stitched lace, another stolen "eastern" item of garb.

Zouaves1870.jpg

Eventually the N African dress became more and more Franco-fied until the Fez became the Kepi and the bolero jacket became the shell coat. Eventually the red trousers and red kepi became part of the standard French army uniform so one could be forgiven for losing track of the differences - eventually, after several decades, there were hardly any. French infantry in 1914 still wore the loose red trousers and red kepi however.

French-Infantry-1914.jpg

As time went on the Zouave became merely a form of gaudy elite regiment though probably more elite in their own minds rather than in any actual combat effectiveness.

There were also the Turcos regiments (Tirailleurs Algeriens or "Turks") which wore even prettier powder blue uniforms and turbans, these forces lasted up to the 1870-1871 war. These were the true colonial forces made up of N African soldiers and were ferocious in combat though their charge at the Battle of Frœschwiller was hopeless and costly. N African troops remained a staple component of the French army until well after WWII and in the fighting in France after Dunkirk the N African regiments were some of the toughest fighters, battling until their own destruction and holding key positions against overwhelming odds.

tiralger(1)(1).jpg

American interpretation of the Zouave uniform:

HMJ%20Supl%2001%20US%2014%20Brooklyn%20(

(wargaming and military history is my other hobby)

• Like 1