• RMweb Premium

Virtual teetotal - and all within a fold-in-the-map ?

That's far worse than admitting to be Vegan on an Edwardian thread.

The Temperance Movement was going strong in Edwardian days - aligned with the Liberals, bitterly (ha!) opposed by those stout (ha!) Conservatives, the brewers.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Virtual teetotal - and all within a fold-in-the-map ?

That's far worse than admitting to be Vegan on an Edwardian thread.

Actually, thinking about it, wasn't the temperance movement already well grounded in society by the Edwardian period?

Edit: Compound beat me to it!

Edited by Argos
  • Like 1

In view of recent discussion of horse-drawn vehicles, I submit the below, which is probably old enough that I’m not breaching copyright law (I hope).

The way Beal could confect delicate ‘sketch’ models by simple means is somehow more inspiring to me than acres of etched-brass frets.

post-26817-0-57317500-1543092822_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-94721600-1543092836_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-94436200-1543092850_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Actually, thinking about it, wasn't the temperance movement already well grounded in society by the Edwardian period?

Yes. Started in the pre-Victorian era by Livesey, in Preston, in the U.K. but in reality many of these ideas went back earlier - there was a particular backlash against the gin graze of the 18th century.

Kevin's model Dairyman's Float [and the virtual teetotal movement and veganism - allegedly alive and well in 1903]

reminds me that there was about a 30 year interlude between the horse drawn milk float for delivering bottled milk door to door and the supermarket chains undercutting with their plastic milk packs as 'loss leaders'.

That three or four decade gap was filled in urban areas by the electric milk float. I got involved in some research  with United Dairies in London in the 1960s while they were replacing their distinctive orange horse-drawn rubber tyred floats with battery electrics.

Formerly the roundsman could turn up three sheets to the wind still at 3 am and snooze behind the horse as it transported him gently from the Dairy to the start of his round.

Thereafter the horse knew exactly where it should go, the gaps it could squeeze through and where it should stop and wait for the milkman to catch-up from his early morning bedroom philandering.

Trouble was when the week came for each Dairy to switch over to electric milk floats the boozy randy milkmen couldn't cope and a high proportion of the vehicles needed bodywork repairs ready for work each morning.

UD had a subsidary firm called Mickleover Transport in Park Royal that fabricated the grp fibreglass orange milk floats and also train-up Dairy staff to carry out the quick rough and ready repairs required in the afternoons to be cured-up for next morning.

Little came of our collaboration save (improbably) for an antarctic grp research station that I think is still there deep down under the snow.

dh

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pubs were not a feature on Craigshire which was probably a reflection of the character of its creator P D Hancock.

The one pub, sorry hotel, I can trace was, for Scotland, the incongruous half timbered Red Lion Hotel which had previously featured as housing at Altbeg on the second incarnation of Craigshire [circa 1960/1970]. The building's are Ballard Bros of Birmingham castings from the 1950's. On the third version of Craig [circa 1970/1987] the hotel was situated at the opposite end of Harbour Street from Craig Castle, partly hidden behind the large Geo. Stewart and Co. warehouse, and only appears in the background of one published photograph on p45, RM Jan 1993. The buildings still survive in the Edinburgh & Lothians MRC P D Hancock Collection.

I am hard pushed to trace a pub on the first 1950/1960 version of Craigshire so maybe before 1960 Craigshire had been a dry county, especially on the Sabbath. Maybe there was a public vote in 1960 to allow licensed premises!

Malcolm

PS - hope you have all seen Skinnylinny's recent photographs of Dundreich in post #277 on p12 of the Pre Grouping Layouts thread.

[/url]C&M1032 - May79 - Red Lion Hotel crop by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr">http://46028056661_2bd8e9da28_c.jpgC&M1032 - May79 - Red Lion Hotel crop by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

I'm sure you know this already, but the pub sign and the sign on the left have been taken from SuperQuick low-relief buildings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The one remaining Temperance Bar is in Rawntenstall, and well worth a visit.

Whilst no doubt there are many benefits accruing from teetotalism, that's not the sort of decision I could make whilst sober!

I'm sure you know this already, but the pub sign and the sign on the left have been taken from SuperQuick low-relief buildings.

I had not picked up on that detail but then research into the buildings has been a bit haphazard, so far! When time permits I will research them all, in particular those based on actual buildings. Today there are no signs of any of the SuperQuick buildings having survived, not even the goods shed from the second layout.

Malcolm

PS - sorry about the thread drift.

• Like 1

You know how tiz, zur, us poor countyvolk ave to show our respec’s to the gentry and tup their wimmenvolk as needed.

Careful now, In North Pennine sheep country tupping their womenfolk might mean something rather different. I daresay his lordship might not be smiling so much.

Tupping = mating (a tup = a ram) although I can't say I've heard it used in a human context before...

Edited by brack

Tupping = mating (a tup = a ram) although I can't say I've heard it used in a human context before...

Many of the farmers personalised number plates around here end in TUP with their wives having EWE.

Jim

Indeed. On several occasions more urban bred acquaintances have asked me why the sheep have blue or red marks on their backs. Usually their face changes when you explain that each ram (or each week) has a different coloured block attached or a smear of what is effectively anti climbing paint so you know who the father is and when to expect the lambs.

Some of the schools I've taught in you begin to think it'd be useful if a similar scheme were introduced in their catchment areas...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

But would the males of the area be happy to wear a box on their chests?

Jim

Would the females of the area be happy to have splodges on their persons, as it were...

Deep waters, methinks!

Anyhow, back to Pubs on layouts.

Looks like I'm going to have to install one pronto, for the Xmas Virtual Pub Crawl.

I'll either model the inspiringly named "Railway Inn", now even more modernly called "The Railway"  (ruddy marketing gits...)  or the "White Lion", which is a stiff uphill stroll from one of the GWRs most northerly termini!

Depends if you want to visit a 30s Road House, or a traditional style pub.  Of course, there's always The Plasterers Arms...

• RMweb Premium

Having inadvertently started this Alcoholics Anonymous tour not sure whether to include this or not but here goes...

39189255672_0c88c34078_c.jpg3-127 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The station cafe at Fenditavalat is the only modelled licensed premises on the AFK at the moment. It is currently incomplete and includes such continental facilities as table football, played with those heavy iron balls that break your nose if they ricochet off the table.

Frequent references are made to the Golden Perch and Quiet Woman in the villages and two other "pubs" are planned.

Most stations possess bars also. Perhaps I should tout a virtual pub crawl along the layout when (if) it ever gets finished.

Here's looking at you (through the bottom of a glass?!)

Ian T

• Like 7