I was curious about that, so I had a quick scan through Google images.  Horse trams do appear to have a thick trace leading to the collar, a sort of tow rope, allowing a bit of flexibility in distance between the horse and car.  This means that the tram driver has to wind on the brake sharpish at a stop to stop the tram from ramming the back of the poor horse!  The "spigots digging into the horses side" are more a representation of the conventional cart shafts which attach to harness behind the horses shoulders* rather than the collar.and steer the front axle on carts and horse buses and wouldn't be required on a rail-guided tram.

I also got the impression that the horse in the model was a bit close coupled to the tram but that could be a representation of the vehicle at rest and that the slack would allow a bit of distance when in motion.

* To that strap going around the horses "armpits", as it were...

The draft (pull) is always taken by the collar whether the vehicle has shafts or not. The saddle (in the same position behind the shoulder as a riding saddle) used with shafts will support a chain which carries the weight of the shaft, keeping it at the correct height to ensure the pull is from the horse's shoulder and not impacting the wind pipe. If the horse is also to assist with braking it will also wear breeching over the rump which attaches to the shaft and acts as a brake, stopping the vehicle rolling forward onto the horse. Obviously vehicles of any weight would also require independent brakes.

On the tram the traces are unsupported which seems quite common in this application. In ploughing and driving it would be more usual to have a saddle or pad to keep the traces lifted. My avatar shows a Great Central horse in full gear including breeching.

Jim

Perhaps it's time for a virtual pub-crawl? We make our way from one classic model pub to another, drinking a pint for each we visit.

Could be fun if I wasn't teetotal. Also where would you start? Only ones I know are in the Castle Aching microverse and one of them is my own Lion and Lamb in Kelsby.

Osier?

Best Hungarian reed, apparently.

You might want that seeing to Sir - sounds quite nasty.

You can get a cream for that, or so I've heard!

Perhaps it's time for a virtual pub-crawl? We make our way from one classic model pub to another, drinking a pint for each we visit.

But the beer's still real?!?

‘Osiery, Sir? Certainly. We have a wide range to suit even the most exotic tastes.

Suits you Sir!

post-25673-0-29982900-1543049411.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Could be fun if I wasn't teetotal. Also where would you start? Only ones I know are in the Castle Aching microverse and one of them is my own Lion and Lamb in Kelsby.

I'd vote for The China Clipper at Madderport and the Ring O'Bells at East Brent on the Berrow Branch for starters.

• Like 7

There’s a small town in central Ireland called Borris-in-Ossory, and I’m struggling not to connect that fact with the above post and the Secretary of State for Unhelpul Interventions in the Brexit Process (well, one of the several SoS for that subject).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There’s a small town in central Ireland called Borris-in-Ossory, and I’m struggling not to connect that fact with the above post and the Secretary of State for Unhelpul Interventions in the Brexit Process (well, one of the several SoS for that subject).

I do wish you had kept that image to yourself.

County Kilkenny, or thereabouts, presumably?

"Borris-in-an-Ossuary" would be something else entirely.

Ah yes, the former Secretary of State for Buffoonery and Egregious Self-Promotion.  A senior cabinet post generally reserved for a failed opportunist with a Churchill complex. Still, neither he nor Gove the Knife can compete with the horrific possibility that the Honourable Member for the Eighteenth Century might become PM.

But the task of filling up the blanks I ought to leave to you.

They'd none of them be missed ...

• Like 3

Ossory was one of the mediaeval Irish kingdoms (well, when spelled in Gaelic). I suspect many might prefer Boris-in-Ossuary though.

• RMweb Gold

You can get a cream for that, or so I've heard!

“Walk this way, sir.”

“If I could walk that way, I wouldn’t need the cream!”

Edit: the old ones are still the old ones.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Honourable Member for the Eighteenth Century

Do you mean the one who boasts that he could beat 27 countries into submission, yet struggles to get 27 colleagues to write a letter?

Edit: please treat as topical humour rather than politics. After all, the whole shambles would be a joke if the consequences weren’t so awful.

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

I'd vote for The China Clipper at Madderport and the Ring O'Bells at East Brent on the Berrow Branch for starters.

Living within 400 yards of the Highbridge - Burnham line in the 1960s, I could never get my head round the Berrow branch. I admired the modelling but the back-story was a bit bizarre. I never saw Bulleid light pacifics up the Somerset Central line and even 2P 4-4-0s rarely ventured up there. Dad refused to call the line the 'branch' as it was the original bit of the S&DJR. Quite hefty excursion trains to Burnham were handled by 4Fs.

post-14351-0-94405500-1543061584_thumb.jpg

As for the Ring'o'Bells - East Brent is actually well east of the Bristol & Exeter mainline, so miles away from Berrow and the pub must have been inspired by one of the four Ring'o'Bells in other Somerset villages as East Brent doesn't have one.

Did I spy some of my wallpaper on the Dodo's roof? It cuts the mustard on what is a quality bit of modelling. I like its rather uneven look when compared with the more precise plastic roofing.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 7

Wasn’t the Rev Awdry’s pub, on his layout, called The Three Beetles?

No cardboard pubs at Paltry Circus, but you can imagine the place to have many, of the engraved plate-glass window variety, rammed with ‘stenders drowning their sorrows, fencing stolen wallets, and ‘avin a right old knees-up rahnd the Joanna.

And, I didn’t know Ossory was a realm; I thought the word somehow did refer to an ossuary, assuming that the ‘in’ was a corruption of the Irish for ‘of the’ or ‘at’ or something. The Univerisity of CA strikes again.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The pub hasn’t appeared at Washbourne yet, it definitely exists. It’s called the “Pantiles Inn”, and rumour has it that the roof came from a Dutch ship that ran aground in Washbourne Gap. However, if you ask the old guys sitting outside about that, they just wink, nudge each other in the ribs, and bury their faces in their pint pots. Most mysterious.

• Like 4

Do you mean the one who boasts that he could beat 27 countries into submission, yet struggles to get 27 colleagues to write a letter?

You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment (though at least I can count up to 48).

Did I spy some of my wallpaper on the Dodo's roof? It cuts the mustard on what is a quality bit of modelling. I like its rather uneven look when compared with the more precise plastic roofing.

In fact, no, I have not tackled any village buildings in the time since the paper arrived.  Next up is the Post Office, so it is due to go on that!

Can't resist asking (and it might be thread drift!) but have you modelled the Albert Victor as well?

Always used to prefer that after cricket or football on the village field.

Ian T

Now a private residence, I believe.

Yes, it was to be more of less where it should be, separated by a lane from the post office, but I'm not sure I can fit it in.  We'll see. 

The lane in Castle Aching leads up the castle mound, so, the pub was/is to be called The Castle.

post-25673-0-09619800-1543069518_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-66753900-1543069602_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-55016300-1543069695_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Pubs were not a feature on Craigshire which was probably a reflection of the character of its creator P D Hancock.

The one pub, sorry hotel, I can trace was, for Scotland, the incongruous half timbered Red Lion Hotel which had previously featured as housing at Altbeg on the second incarnation of Craigshire [circa 1960/1970]. The building's are Ballard Bros of Birmingham castings from the 1950's. On the third version of Craig [circa 1970/1987] the hotel was situated at the opposite end of Harbour Street from Craig Castle, partly hidden behind the large Geo. Stewart and Co. warehouse, and only appears in the background of one published photograph on p45, RM Jan 1993. The buildings still survive in the Edinburgh & Lothians MRC P D Hancock Collection.

I am hard pushed to trace a pub on the first 1950/1960 version of Craigshire so maybe before 1960 Craigshire had been a dry county, especially on the Sabbath. Maybe there was a public vote in 1960 to allow licensed premises!

Malcolm

PS - hope you have all seen Skinnylinny's recent photographs of Dundreich in post #277 on p12 of the Pre Grouping Layouts thread.

[/url]C&M1032 - May79 - Red Lion Hotel crop by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr">http://46028056661_2bd8e9da28_c.jpgC&M1032 - May79 - Red Lion Hotel crop by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

Edited by dunwurken
  • Like 11

Virtual teetotal - and all within a fold-in-the-map ?

That's far worse than admitting to be Vegan on an Edwardian thread.

• Like 1

The pub hasn’t appeared at Washbourne yet, it definitely exists. It’s called the “Pantiles Inn”, and rumour has it that the roof came from a Dutch ship that ran aground in Washbourne Gap. However, if you ask the old guys sitting outside about that, they just wink, nudge each other in the ribs, and bury their faces in their pint pots. Most mysterious.

Oh dear. I read that as the Panties Inn, so revealing exactly how my mind works...

• RMweb Gold

You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment (though at least I can count up to 48).

I suspect that the number of letters was less than 27, leave alone close to 48.

Edit: he claims to have 26 signatures in his pocket.

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

Virtual teetotal - and all within a fold-in-the-map ?

That's far worse than admitting to be Vegan on an Edwardian thread.

Being vegan I'm not sure how I should take that....I'm not teatotal though, there are limits to my willpower.....