At first I thought it was a splendid example of forward thinking, a huge lamp on the upper deck for passengers to read their newspapers by, and act as a general warning that the bus was near, but a second look revealed that its just like those photos of people with trees growing out of their heads.....

:senile:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A late arrival for the horse-tram/bus discussion, in H0 scale, in 1938, by F J Roche of drawings fame.

Notice that there is a proper harness, rather than a couple of spigots digging into the horse’s side, too.

Notice that there is a proper harness, rather than a couple of spigots digging into the horse’s side, too.

I was curious about that, so I had a quick scan through Google images.  Horse trams do appear to have a thick trace leading to the collar, a sort of tow rope, allowing a bit of flexibility in distance between the horse and car.  This means that the tram driver has to wind on the brake sharpish at a stop to stop the tram from ramming the back of the poor horse!  The "spigots digging into the horses side" are more a representation of the conventional cart shafts which attach to harness behind the horses shoulders* rather than the collar.and steer the front axle on carts and horse buses and wouldn't be required on a rail-guided tram.

I also got the impression that the horse in the model was a bit close coupled to the tram but that could be a representation of the vehicle at rest and that the slack would allow a bit of distance when in motion.

* To that strap going around the horses "armpits", as it were...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The only problemette with the Catholic cathedral was all that got "finished" of Lutyens design was the crypt, and even that had exposed ragged ends of brickwork poking out at the Brownlow Hill end, all due to the rocketing costs for the grandiose building after WW2.  Gibberds concrete building, constructed in less than 5 years* and consecrated in 1967, sits on top of the Lutyens Crypt and in its depths there is the architects model of the 1930s plan...  Meanwhile, the Anglican cathedral, which was started in 1904 plodded on, with new sandstone blocks being added until completion in 1978.

As far as I know, there aren't any nicknames for the Anglican cathedral, but the Catholic cathedral is locally known as "The Mersey Funnel" and "Paddys Wigwam"...

* Being a bit of a rush job, construction flaws soon became apparent but were eventually repaired. 

My Grandfather on my Mothers side topped out Paddys wigwam, and we still have the clock he was given for it.

He reluctantly turned down working on the Anglican cathedral, as it was only temporary work, and he needed a full time job... It would have lasted until he retired! 

Andy G

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The centre section of the Drill Hall is more or less complete, and work has started on the round tower section.  The round tower is notionally one of the original gate towers for the castle's outer bailey, but has been so heavily 'restored' by the Victorian architect that it is indistinguishable from the later confections that surround it, save that the tower walls retain their original thickness, requiring deep reveals for the windows.

Superb modelling as usual James! Really does capture the buildings character well. I struggle to keep up with the posts on your page and quite often I am very late to the party/conversation. Are you heading to Warley by any chance? I managed to get another kitchen pass so I'm going tomorrow, then off to visit my Dad in beatiful Melbourne (Nr Derby, not Australia!!).

Hope all is well in the Edwardian household. 

Ian

• Like 1

Superb modelling as usual James! Really does capture the buildings character well. I struggle to keep up with the posts on your page and quite often I am very late to the party/conversation. Are you heading to Warley by any chance? I managed to get another kitchen pass so I'm going tomorrow, then off to visit my Dad in beatiful Melbourne (Nr Derby, not Australia!!).

Hope all is well in the Edwardian household. 

Ian

Thank you Ian.

Enjoy Warley.

I did briefly consider going on Sunday, but time and funds are short and I will try to move the Drill Hall on a bit instead.

I live in some hope of shifting our house before the end of the year.  If that is successful, I will kit out the outbuilding as a more hospitable space and CA and I will move in there!

• Like 1

I propose that, before the house is finally disposed of, the CA-PC should assemble there, for a giant model railway party, perhaps creating a massive Hornby tinplate layout, weaving from room to room, to celebrate the thematic role that it has played in the CA story so far.

I hope for your sake that it will 'all be over by Christmas'.

• Like 8

It is certainly the situation most perplexing...

Sorry,  I've been watching too much Poirot...

But as recurring themes on this thread go it is the one that still confuses me why it is able to still reoccur! Ah well... if I had any money...

• Like 2

I would have been going this year, but the Medstead & Four Marks Annual Station Meeting coincides with the Saturday, and I then realised that if I went then I wouldn't have enough money to buy anything much!

So I bought a Hornby Class 700 instead...

At any rate the Annual Station Meeting is more important, and as a new junior member of staff I think it shows a degree of commitment if I bother to turn up! Also, with us becoming a temporary terminus next year it'll be useful to know what's going on!

And I should love to, James, but there are a variety of factors that would prevent me.

• Like 3

The Ostrich is a pub in Castle Acre, Norfolk:

ostrich_inn.jpg?1300890894

Inspiration for The Dodo in Castle Aching.

With the amount of visitors to this thread, perhaps they ought to put that on their website?  :jester:

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3