• RMweb Premium

While we are talking about the GWR, i was recently given some GWR drawings, prints from official originals, including this one. the ideal vehicle for the space starved modeller.

post-13650-0-27161800-1541325806_thumb.jpg

I know nothing more about it than the GWR drawing number

Jonathan

• Like 5

Also there doesn't appear to be any horse boxes available on this train, so l feel that '3rd class compartments for horses' might be overstating it a bit!  Unless of course it was meant to be 'tongue in cheek'!

Also there doesn't appear to be any horse boxes available on this train, so l feel that '3rd class compartments for horses' might be overstating it a bit! Unless of course it was meant to be 'tongue in cheek'!

Guilty as charged.

Also there doesn't appear to be any horse boxes available on this train, so l feel that '3rd class compartments for horses' might be overstating it a bit!  Unless of course it was meant to be 'tongue in cheek'!

- but I think there are cattle wagons at the end of it, quite a few by the look of it. And what is the 5th vehicle? Could it be a horsebox - for the officers' horses of course.

The trouble is the Stuarts died out with the Cardinal of York's death in 1807. They were certainly the legitimate Kings of Scotland but the claim to the thrones of England, France and Ireland is debatable. I recall a television programme many years ago in which the true King of England - descendant of the Plantagenets - was revealed to be an Australian sheep-farmer.

If you're going to take that line then the true monarchs of England are any descendants of the Wessex line. All monarchs after 1066 are usurpers...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you're going to take that line then the true monarchs of England are any descendants of the Wessex line. All monarchs after 1066 are usurpers...

Harold Godwinson was a usurper...

What about the Mercian line?

• RMweb Gold

While we are talking about the GWR, i was recently given some GWR drawings, prints from official originals, including this one. the ideal vehicle for the space starved modeller.

attachicon.gifGWR early 3rd class carriage.jpg

Jonathan

What Standard Gauge lines did the GWR own/have running powers over in 1848?

Its jolly cosy!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Harold Godwinson was a usurper...

What about the Mercian line?

What about the Mercian line?  What did it connect to? Liveries?

Was it a predecessor to the Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Company?

• RMweb Premium

"What Standard Gauge lines did the GWR own/have running powers over in 1848?"

I agree that the GWR had no need of standard gauge vehicles. I am making enquiries and will report back. OWW, NA&H or one of the northern lines gets my initial vote.

But any carriage that can make the Hornby 4-wheelers look long gets my vote.

Anyway, we really ought occasionally to mention Castle Aching on this thread. There,  I have, so we can now ramble again for another few pages.

Jonathan

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifGWR early 3rd class carriage.jpg

Jonathan

Brilliant!  Thank you for this Jonathon.  

So what other early GWR coach delights might you have there in that gifted bundle..........

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"What Standard Gauge lines did the GWR own/have running powers over in 1848?"

I agree that the GWR had no need of standard gauge vehicles. I am making enquiries and will report back. OWW, NA&H or one of the northern lines gets my initial vote.

But any carriage that can make the Hornby 4-wheelers look long gets my vote.

Anyway, we really ought occasionally to mention Castle Aching on this thread. There,  I have, so we can now ramble again for another few pages.

Jonathan

Yes we all should be visiting Castle Aching more often, - apparently it's lovely.  (Poster image shamelessly stolen from elsewhere in this thread)

sSI1B2D.jpg

• Like 10

The drawing (post  #13727, top of this page) seems to refer to the C W R  , or is the horizontal  bar of the letter G (does it have a name?) also "Lost in the folds of the print" in true CA style ?

Edited by DonB

Yes! We need an ENGLISH usurper for the ENGLISH throne! xD

Isn't it great to watch a fight in someone else's back yard that something you said started, but has absolutely nothing to do with you!! :mosking:

As we say up here, 'Ah'll haud the jaikets'.

Jim

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it great to watch a fight in someone else's back yard that something you said started, but has absolutely nothing to do with you!! :mosking:

As we say up here, 'Ah'll haud the jaikets'.

Jim

At the time of the independence referendum, I was frustrated that no public figure articulated* what I still think to be the strongest argument in favour of the Union: England's dependence upon Scotland for her leading public figures in many walks of life. In the context of this forum it's enough to mention two Ayrshire families: the Stirlings and the Drummonds. 

*Gordon Brown came closest.

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to the natty little 4 wheeler, I decided to consult "The Encyclopedia of British Railway Companies", by Christopher Awdry. The only railway that I could find that meets the spec of being the CWR and was functioning in the late 1840s was the Cockermouth & Workington Railway. This was authorised in July 1845 and opened in April 1847. Although primarily a coal line, I can imagine that the 4 wheeler would be suited to such a line!

The CWR was absorbed by the LNWR in July 1866.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The strangest things lurk on the interweb, don't they!  #9 and another further down on the first page were appropriate...

And there's the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost film of the same name, concerning a pub crawl, ending at the eponymous pub, which uncovers an alien android invasion....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World%27s_End_(film)

I'll be the first to admit that this is a bit off topic!

Is anything off topic here? A previous Pegg movie Shaun of the Dead was filmed in a redundant pub in New Cross, SE London. This was the sign that greeted me on my way from work nearby - I know I have used it on RMweb - I hope not here. I never saw one though.

post-14351-0-15429600-1541373639_thumb.jpg

Is anything off topic here? A previous Pegg movie Shaun of the Dead was filmed in a redundant pub in New Cross, SE London. This was the sign that greeted me on my way from work nearby - I know I have used it on RMweb - I hope not here. I never saw one though.

attachicon.gifZombie warning 5.03 Monson Rd SE14.jpg

Part of it might have been filmed there, probably the 'inside' bits,

a lot was filmed in Crouch End (North London), I remember having

to park round the corner and walk to my customers house that day!

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to the natty little 4 wheeler, I decided to consult "The Encyclopedia of British Railway Companies", by Christopher Awdry. The only railway that I could find that meets the spec of being the CWR and was functioning in the late 1840s was the Cockermouth & Workington Railway. This was authorised in July 1845 and opened in April 1847. Although primarily a coal line, I can imagine that the 4 wheeler would be suited to such a line!

The CWR was absorbed by the LNWR in July 1866.

The 'C' is actually a 'G'.  In the pre-grouping era several railway companies made use of a form of 'G' that can be readily mistaken for a 'C'.  The Glasgow & South Western Railway was one example and the Great Eastern Railway was another.  There were other miscreants as well.  Look very closely at the enlarged diagram image and you will soon see that the alleged 'C' is nothing of kind at all.  How do I know this? - spending too much time studying old goods wagon photos in the attempt to get lettering styles correct while making digital pre-grouping models.    :help:

• Like 3