Ruddy 'eck!

You sound as warped as I am.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138205-the-attack-of-the-60ft-spider-from-mars/

(I believe a good proportion of barristers have far too much time on their hands)

Excellent B Movie cake box!

One line I particularly enjoyed .... "... Jeff Wayne tried to blow the lid off it back in the twentieth century, but weakened his case by doing it through a rock opera. That's always a mistake" (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=3177826). 

Another good one is the one about welks ....

I like the Spider from Mars cakebox too, and am now trying to find a large tinplate Martian Tripod, say about 2ft tall, so that I can stage something similar, but even more retro, using an 0 gauge tinplate M7 and coaches in LSWR livery, with a small lead figure of HGW in the foreground. Need a b****y big cake box though.

• Like 6

All we hear is radio ga ga...

Well don't listen to Radios 1 and 2 then.....

Or, a brave new world ....

Hmmmm - the basis for a rabbit layout with extensive helixes?

It'd be good in OO9....  "The Railways of Moria, the Khazad-dûm Mineral Railway" engineered by Balin and Dwalin.

• Like 5

In my opinion Barristers earn most of their crust from just being asked their Opinion on this and that.

Is that brave new world image you posted from the Cake Box Challenge James ? Most impressed - real Kubla Khan stuff (a seriously deep crevass in the WN map!).

At about 13, I was very impressed with a contrasty Canon E Treacy photograph on the cover of something like Trains Illustrated of a Royal Scot in the cuttings up from Lime St entitled "Caverns measurless to man" 

dh

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Odder things have been published.

You may (or may not) appreciate the adventures of Space Captain Smith

http://spacecaptainsmith.com/

I won't go into details.....

Thanks for this; I've just ordered a copy. I have the devil of a job trying to get my 14-year-old to read anything; the only fiction he'll admit to having enjoyed is Hitchhiker's Guide; this looks like the kind of thing that might appeal to him.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 3

Is that brave new world image you posted from the Cake Box Challenge James ?

Its from Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" album released in 1978. I have listened to it thousands of times. Richard Burton did some superb narration on it. There was some excellent steam-punky artwork in the book that opened out inside the (33rpm vinyl) gatefold cover.

war%20of%20the%20worlds%20-%203.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Does counting the number of legs on a “tripod” make me a “finescale policeman”?

No, but perhaps that should be on the pedants thread!

Jim

It’s just these foreigners counting axles and not wheels, that’s what it is. Just not British!

(Even if Whyte was a Dutch-American.)

“Surely that’s a hexapod?”

Yes. I thought that too, but just about managed not to mention it.

Just be grateful I managed to avoid being rude for once!
  • Like 1

Wells must have been on the bottle or something when he wrote about the "Tripods".  A stable tripod is very ... stable.  Move a leg just one little bit and the whole thing topples.  The Japanese version is a bit more practical, though it now looks like a demented octopus thats had an industrial accident.

Perhaps the 60ft Spiders aren't far off the mark, imagine the "tripod" attacking HMS Thunder Child being supported by 8 legs.  Now THAT'S scary!!!

• Like 3

I’m sure there’s a passage in The Hitch-hikers Guide about homesickness relating to distance but I can’t find it at present

Just after Arthur finds that the local council are demolishing his house to make way for a bypass, and just before Earth is demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass:

Turning quickly to the barman he asked for four packets of peanuts.

"There you are sir," said the barman, slapping the packets on the bar, "twenty-eight pence if you'd be so kind."

Ford was very kind - he gave the barman another five-pound note and told him to keep the change. The barman looked at it and then looked at Ford. He suddenly shivered: he experienced a momentary sensation that he didn't understand because no one on Earth had ever experienced it before.

In moments of great stress, every life form that exists gives out a tiny subliminal signal. This signal simply communicates an exact and almost pathetic sense of how far that being is from the place of his birth. On Earth it is never possible to be further than sixteen thousand miles from your birthplace, which really isn't very far, so such signals are too minute to be noticed. Ford Prefect was at this moment under great stress, and he was born 600 light years away in the near vicinity of Betelgeuse.

The barman reeled for a moment, hit by a shocking, incomprehensible sense of distance. He didn't know what it meant, but he looked at Ford Prefect with a new sense of respect, almost awe.

• Like 6

That and digital watches being a pretty neat idea!

Unless you constructed a Sinclair digital watch kit.  You know, the black plastic one where you had to press the case to see the time because the "calculator" style LED would otherwise suck the life out of the batteries in hours. There were many other design "features" too...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Watch_(wristwatch)

After that, anything with a LCD that stayed on all the time and showed a reasonable approximation of the time would seem a pretty neat idea!

Thanks for this;... the only fiction he'll admit to having enjoyed is Hitchhiker's Guide; this looks like the kind of thing that might appeal to him.

And that's a bad thing? I I've loved the series ever since I was about 8.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist