• RMweb Gold

Those parishioners muttering about Crossrai  WNR delays and dalliance will be reassured that the old gatehouse is not being pulled down by Lord Erstwhile but is being restored as a fitting entrance to the new Drill Hall.

attachicon.gifdrill hall site.jpg

Ed II: How is this?  Level crossing & duck pond guessed, looking forward to the round wower

dh

That is closer to where I judge the Drill Hall to be, thanks.

Turning to locomotives.

Ironically, perhaps, I had a fully realised layout scheme in the Isle of Eldernell & Mereport Railway, back in, IIRC 2012-2013, at least as fully realised as any plan is before it evolves during the execution.

Here, I had mapped out the entire system and I had produced track plans for layouts, initially for Fenmarch and, then, for the entire system.

I planned to a nicety the motive power and rolling stock.  The region had a history.

I still do not have the WNR concept realised to the same extent, and to the extent I have realised it, it has evolved during the life of this topic, which meant I had the benefit of all manner of wonderful ideas and contribution that have made the concept much better than it otherwise would have been.

But it is strange to me that I had a fully realised concept for one freelance project, but that is not the project I ended up pursuing.  I was very close to embarking upon a model of Fenmarch when .... one day I decided to make some buildings and found myself with cottage backs inspired by a row at Castle Acre in Norfolk, not at all suitable for the North Cambridgeshire Fens, and the rest, as they say, is history ... 

Latterly, I have thought that, when time and resources permit, I'd still like to model some of the stock of the IoE&MR, and, as the two lines are related, I have thought of the odd transfer from IoE&MR to the WNR.  The IoE&MR layout was to be set in 1897.  Latterly I have thought about producing mainly the 1860s stock, allowing me to back-date the setting further.  Either way, it leaves open the possibility that something running on the EoE&MR in the Nineteenth Century could have been borrowed by the WNR by 1905.

So, in idle moments, I might post some more of my ideas for the IoE&MR, in its dedicated topic, but where I think there could be cross-over, I'll add it here.

The IoE&MR was a tank only line. The first locomotives included a brace of 1860s Sharp Stewart 2-4-0Ts of the Cambrian 'Seaham' type, to be paired with 1860s Oldbury 4-wheelers, and a Manning Wardle 'special' 0-6-0T for goods.  These were to be painted in a French Blue livery, and the coaches would be French Blue and Ivory. Goods stock in a Mushroom colour. Quarryscapes of this parish very kindly designed the body in as-built condition for the Sharps, though I think he has not achieved a printable version, but I will contact him again.

Later in the Line's history, a further goods tank was added.  This was to be a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST, and debating these types with Argus has brought this back to the forefront of my mind.  I gained the idea from RelaxingHobby of fitting a Bachmann HO switcher wheel-set to a Bachmann Junior chassis.  I did manage to do this, but it got no further.  All this stuff was among the boxes that were left in storage when we left the old house. I only retrieved this stuff this summer and have yet to got through it all. Anyway I noted recently that RelaxingHobby seems to have revived this build himself.  If the chassis would not fit into the Hudswell body, my alternative plan was to try one of the larger Manning Wardle classes, such as L or M.

This locomotive was not destined to be blue, but to be black.  All the IoE&MR engines were to have names, most of which have local connections, and this was to be my Black Shuck, both in recognition of our very large black Lab and, of course, in wry commentary upon my own variable mental state!  So don't be surprised if, one day, you see this interloper slipped in amongst WN equipment.

post-25673-0-45266400-1536817926.jpg

post-25673-0-64714300-1536817943.jpg

post-25673-0-55678800-1536817979.gif

post-25673-0-07369100-1536817987.gif

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with Nearholmer on this one James - 0 scale definitely the way to go...but then I would say that!

Looks like your chassis solution for the HC will work nicely - shall be watching this with interest.

• RMweb Gold

The 'beautiful youth' is actually Kay Bowman who had much to do with the re-building of "Dorothea' another of the wee Hunslets at Launceston.  Definitely my kind of lady.

Good to put a name to the face, Annie, thank you.  This lady was also driving on my first trip in 2016.

I noted a comment in the RM 009 Guide, which accompanied the latest issue, that Launceston provided a gentle retirement for Quarry Hunslets.  Clearly the writer had never heard one toiling up hill from Launceston with 4 coaches!

post-25673-0-02825500-1536826068_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-92336200-1536826275_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a sort of ‘back settlement’ by Patagonian Welsh speakers. They seem good on railways, so will fit in well.

Porth Madryn station shown below.

Vast amounts of info here http://www.railwaysofthefarsouth.co.uk/02dfcccrollingst.html a sort of WNR in an arid colony!

Before Time's ever rolling stream sweeps the above post away, I thought I'd best respond.  This looks fascinating, Kevin.  Unfortunately for me, at least, the link does not seem to work. Here, is some stuff on the site you can access on  Welsh Patagonian railways: http://www.railwaysofthefarsouth.co.uk/02awelshsettlers.html.  Your picture is on the page on the construction of the line, to which you can click through.

I gather it was metre gauge and featured 0-4-2 Sharps and 2-6-0 Beyers and Hudswell Clarkes, plus a Hunslet saddle tank, though not quite a Quarry one!

For anyone amongst us who has read Aberystwyth Mon Amour, the line "Patagonia, the Welsh Vietnam", will come unbidden to mind!

post-25673-0-30433900-1536826883.jpg

post-25673-0-96060400-1536831254.jpg

post-25673-0-36926800-1536831267.jpg

post-25673-0-96727000-1536831296.jpg

post-25673-0-28526400-1536831342.jpg

post-25673-0-80581200-1536831399.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I have been interested in the little Avonsides and large MWs, and High Level's Black Hawthorn and RT's little MWs.

I can't afford such things as matters stands, but if the former Agenoria range go together well, that might be a good place to start!

Most of my cheap and cheerful schemes are aimed at avoiding the expense of such kits until such time as I have the budget to give them a go!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ian, I had never heard of CPS kits - thank you so much for the link. lots of wonderful things there.

Thank Google - the all knowing one! A quick search for Hudswell Clark kits and CPS appeared. No knowledge of quality, delivery, service, accuracy of the models unfortunately but please enlighten us should you endulge in their offerings. Kit prices seem competetive when compared to DJH/Brassmaster etc - I have spent a small fortune on the little kits I have tried so far, and they were second hand!!

James - It might be worth seeing if they will just sell certain components instead of full kits - might help if you struggle with scratch-building or sourcing suitable RTR donor items.

I have been interested in the little Avonsides and large MWs, and High Level's Black Hawthorn and RT's little MWs.

I can't afford such things as matters stands, but if the former Agenoria range go together well, that might be a good place to start!

Most of my cheap and cheerful schemes are aimed at avoiding the expense of such kits until such time as I have the budget to give them a go!

Not all the range was designed by PS though. Some are not as good...but I don't know which [hashtag useless]

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a dim recollection, quite possibly entirely wrong and, therefore something made up in my head, but, alternatively, possibly correct, that Agenoria used to make kits in both 7mm and 4mm and that the 4mm range was hived off.

Possibly, then, if we knew which 4mm kits had 7mm equivalents in the Agenoria range, we might identify Pete Stamper's 'good 'uns'.  

Having said that, I'm a bit wary of etched kits scaled down from 7mm to 4mm, if that was the case here, as it strikes me that this process might not necessarily result in a user-friendly kit in the smaller scale.   

But, as the 7mm business seems Kaput, no help there .......

Anyway, when I grow up, I want the smaller, earlier Manning Wardles, to which I am devoted.  It was always part of the Isle of Eldernell scheme to have an Old I Class, the idea being, in true light railway fashion, the line purchased the Contractor's locomotive.  A MW of 1858, she became IoE&MR No.3, Lord Palmerston.  When I discovered that RT Models had released a kit, I was chuffed: http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_022.htm.  To this day, I have not felt able to indulge in a purchase.  Maybe one day soon (please, someone, buy my house!).

Later RT Models introduced a kit of the K Class, the most numerous type and the quintessential MW in my view.  I just want one; having pored over pictures of such in that little book on GC Contractor's Locomotives as a child, with their extravagantly lined Victorian liveries. Perfect light railway fodder.

RT do sell parts, and there will be more than one WNR RTR bodge wearing RT bits and pieces!       

Pictures are from RT Model's website.

post-25673-0-51758500-1536918390.jpg

post-25673-0-00495300-1536918402_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

You can have one R-T-R for what is probably not much more than the price of kit and caboodle.

https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/news/we-announce-the-manning-wardle-k-class-0-6-0-saddle-tank-locomotive-in-7mm-scale-143-5-for-32mm-standard-gauge/

Its got its own mile-long thread on RMWeb, I believe.

By gosh does it tempt me to create a fine-track LR branch from Birlstone, but unless someone can tell me how to warp the space bit of the time-space continuum, I haven't the room.

Surely, that lovely house must sell soon!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Perhaps we should have bought somewhere more on the tourist trail, like Christie Miller Road, Salisbury.

Still, I have enjoyed social meedja today .... 

post-25673-0-32060600-1536920103_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-22760900-1536920182_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Now because it's always 1905 in West Norfolk, it is easy to forget that years roll by (with nothing much done), but it was back in 2016 that Fenman of this Parish identified a GER trestle bridge:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2382431.

From, pretty much, that moment on, I had resolved to include the structure on CA. How could I resist? Apart from anything else, it is a further nod to Madder Valley. When the current 4 boards are much further advanced from their present state, I will have the ability to add a scenic extension of, I reckon, about 4' 6" that can include this bridge. The little Aching Brook can run beneath it in due course. 

To refresh memories, the bridge was at East Barsham, Norfolk, was subsequently replaced by the filling in on the embankment over a culvert in sometime after 1893: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2382497

In the meantime, a discussion of trestle bridges featured in Martin S-C's Nether Madder & Great Shafting topic, and he has come across splendid low level GER versions (no doubt more sensible for CA, but what the heck, I like the East Barsham one!), the Blackwater bridges on the Maldon line in Essex: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135768-nether-madder-and-great-shafting-rly/?p=3294560.

So, bringing the East Barsham picture that Fenman found back into mind, I noted that the trestle viaduct is seen supporting a GER 2-4-0 'Intermediate' and a string of 6-wheelers, absolutely the classic GE train for through running on the WNR and very much what I am aiming for!  I thought it worth a re-post.  I note work on the flanks of the embankment, and I wonder if the shot dates to just before the infilling took place.

What a scene to try to model!

As the Blackwater bridges on the Maldon line survived to be photographed clearly, I suspect these low brethren will help with some of the constructional details for an East Barsham-type bridge. 

Stop press: I have made a happy discovery here - http://fakenhamcommunityarchive.weebly.com/barshams.html - more pictures of the viaduct, confirming that it was about to be in-filled and also confirming our earlier conclusion that the tunnel to the north was used for the infilling.  There is a shot of the tunnel and a great shot of the newly built culvert with the trestle bridge being buried around it. 

post-25673-0-30039100-1536924631_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-07753000-1536925240.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 9

Now because it's always 1905 in West Norfolk, it is easy to forget that years roll by (with nothing much done), but it was back in 2016 that Fenman of this Parish identified a GER trestle bridge: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2382431.

From, pretty much, that moment on, I had resolved to include the structure on CA. How could I resist? Apart from anything else, it is a further nod to Madder Valley. When the current 4 boards are much further advanced from their present state, I will have the ability to add a scenic extension of, I reckon, about 4' 6" that can include this bridge. The little Aching Brook can run beneath it in due course.

To refresh memories, the bridge was at East Barsham, Norfolk, was subsequently replaced by the filling in on the embankment over a culvert in sometime after 1893: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2382497

In the meantime, a discussion of trestle bridges featured in Martin S-C's Nether Madder & Great Shafting topic, and he has come across a splendid low level GER versions (no doubt more sensible for CA, but what the heck, I like the East Barsham one!), the Blackwater bridges on the Maldon line in Essex: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135768-nether-madder-and-great-shafting-rly/?p=3294560.

So, bringing the East Barsham picture that Fenman found back into mind, I noted that the trestle viaduct is seen supporting a GER 2-4-0 'Intermediate' and a string of 6-wheelers, absolutely the classic GE train for through running on the WNR and very much what I am aiming for! I thought it worth a re-post. I note work on the flanks of the embankment, and I wonder if the shot dates to just before the infilling took place.

What a scene to try to model!

As the Blackwater bridges on the Maldon line survived to be photographed clearly, I suspect these low brethren will help with some of the constructional details for an East Barsham-type bridge.

Stop press: I have made a happy discovery here - http://fakenhamcommunityarchive.weebly.com/barshams.html - more pictures of the viaduct, confirming that it was about to be in-filled and also confirming our earlier conclusion that the tunnel to the north was used for the infilling. There is a shot of the tunnel and a great shot of the newly built culver with the trestle bridge being buried around it.

Very quaint. I do like that! Didn't know there was anything like that in this region. That's really cool.

I have a dim recollection, quite possibly entirely wrong and, therefore something made up in my head, but, alternatively, possibly correct, that Agenoria used to make kits in both 7mm and 4mm and that the 4mm range was hived off.

Possibly, then, if we knew which 4mm kits had 7mm equivalents in the Agenoria range, we might identify Pete Stamper's 'good 'uns'.

Having said that, I'm a bit wary of etched kits scaled down from 7mm to 4mm, if that was the case here, as it strikes me that this process might not necessarily result in a user-friendly kit in the smaller scale.

But, as the 7mm business seems Kaput, no help there .......

Anyway, when I grow up, I want the smaller, earlier Manning Wardles, to which I am devoted. It was always part of the Isle of Eldernell scheme to have an Old I Class, the idea being, in true light railway fashion, the line purchased the Contractor's locomotive. A MW of 1858, she became IoE&MR No.3, Lord Palmerston. When I discovered that RT Models had released a kit, I was chuffed: http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_022.htm. To this day, I have not felt able to indulge in a purchase. Maybe one day soon (please, someone, buy my house!).

Later RT Models introduced a kit of the K Class, the most numerous type and the quintessential MW in my view. I just want one; having pored over pictures of such in that little book on GC Contractor's Locomotives as a child, with their extravagantly lined Victorian liveries. Perfect light railway fodder.

RT do sell parts, and there will be more than one WNR RTR bodge wearing RT bits and pieces!

Pictures are from RT Model's website.

And now I just want a Manning Wardle even more! Options, options...

• RMweb Gold

You can have one R-T-R for what is probably not much more than the price of kit and caboodle.

https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/news/we-announce-the-manning-wardle-k-class-0-6-0-saddle-tank-locomotive-in-7mm-scale-143-5-for-32mm-standard-gauge/

Its got its own mile-long thread on RMWeb, I believe.

By gosh does it tempt me to create a fine-track LR branch from Birlstone, but unless someone can tell me how to warp the space bit of the time-space continuum, I haven't the room.

I have no need for  one in my current plans but oh so tempting. Quitely ignoring the half finished Slaters kit somewhere in store. I do have an H class of which Minerva are doing another run (although the first was under the Ixion label. One cannot have too many MWs can one?

Don