• RMweb Gold

Such pretty pictures of a mythic Wales......

We once camped at Shell Island, a little south of Barmouth, arriving in the teeth of a howling westerly gale.  And, let me put it this way.  On a good day, I can see along the North Wales coast to the Great Orme Head.

Not today!

It reminds me of the illustrations in Jasper Ffordes "Thursday Next" series.

attachicon.gifwnaw.jpg

You must have lost your way Shell Island is north of Barmouth. You didn't end up camping at Tonfanau did you? See Chris Klien's ) gauge layout thread.

That area from Aberdyfi to Porthmadog  is one of my favourite places.

Don

ps 

post-8525-0-83279500-1388772053_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-40932400-1388772428_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-65492200-1407570297_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-16231000-1427562546_thumb.jpg

when did they add the Groynes to Barmouth Beach or did they just leave them out on the poster.

Edited by Donw
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You must have lost your way Shell Island is north of Barmouth. You didn't end up camping at Tonfanau did you? See Chris Klien's ) gauge layout thread.

That area from Aberdyfi to Porthmadog  is one of my favourite places.

Don

ps 

when did they add the Groynes to Barmouth Beach or did they just leave them out on the poster.

You are, of course, correct.

There's no excuse - I just don't know why I got my directions wrong, unless I confused Barmouth with Harlech....  :scratchhead:

At the time, the best thing about Shell Island was that RAF Llanbedr was still operating. They used to fly experimental pilotless aircraft over the island.  The base had an Avro Anson as the gate guard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You are, of course, correct.

There's no excuse - I just don't know why I got my directions wrong, unless I confused Barmouth with Harlech....  :scratchhead:

At the time, the best thing about Shell Island was that RAF Llanbedr was still operating. They used to fly experimental pilotless aircraft over the island.  The base had an Avro Anson as the gate guard.

It was one of the sites being considered for a space station.

Don

• RMweb Gold

His sporran resembles Munch’s ‘Scream’: but appears to also be wearing a Victorian-era (i.e. made up) Viking helmet with horns...

His squint leads me to believe he's OD'd on a mixture of cheap Scotch and Tablet.

The other poor devil appears to be begging for "saxpence".....

The Golfing Girl came south, too, it seems.

Here she is in a picture that I cannot make match the view westward from Seaford Head, however hard I try - I think the artist was guilty of terraforming.

And, another one of her.

post-26817-0-41548700-1531516646_thumb.png

post-26817-0-29359200-1531516807_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

What else can you expect from a couple of sub-optimal companies!! :sarcastichand:

Jim (into trench, hard hat on.....)  

Speaking of sub-optimal companies, no-one's picked up on my rather trollish reference to the Midland/GSWR/NBR as the "other" route to Scotland...

• RMweb Gold

She played tennis as well.

Readers are invited to recite to themselves 'The Subaltern's Love Song' as an accompaniment to viewing this poster, even though it is, in so many senses, the wrong railway.

Ah ...

Miss J.Hunter Dunn, Miss J.Hunter Dunn,

Furnish'd and burnish'd by Aldershot sun,

What strenuous singles we played after tea,

We in the tournament - you against me!

EDIT: The image recalled the poem irresistibly to mind before I even read your post.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

The Golfing Girl came south, too, it seems.

Here she is in a picture that I cannot make match the view westward from Seaford Head, however hard I try - I think the artist was guilty of terraforming.

And, another one of her.

See this photo on Flickr - I think the differences could be regarded as being covered by artistic licence - assuming it's been renewed, of course.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/42483443485

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah ...

Miss J.Hunter Dunn, Miss J.Hunter Dunn,

Furnish'd and burnish'd by Aldershot sun,

What strenuous singles we played after tea,

We in the tournament - you against me!

EDIT: The image recalled the poem irresistibly to mind before I even read your post.

Speaking for myself, I prefer Myfanwy.

"Don't remember Yarmouth ever looking so appealing."

But they have the right clothes for an English beach (the last three weeks not withstanding)

I wondered about a joke along the lines of making a ROD for our own backs, but thought better of it..

To make up for my intended sin:

attachicon.gifbr barmouth.jpg

attachicon.gifLMS Colwyn Bay.jpg

Jonathan

The Welsh Rockies?????

• RMweb Premium

I wondered how long before anyone would notice.

You can keep your Cornish Riviera!!!

Of course it justifies the wet weather gear and Cambrian Woollen Mill jumpers one would take on one's summer holiday.

I have never understood golf. If I want to go for a long walk in the country the last thing I want to take is a heavy bag of kit.

Back a little nearer to Castle Aching, I have always liked this set of six postcards, which came as a strip:

post-13650-0-47272700-1531553291_thumb.jpgpost-13650-0-95744800-1531553326_thumb.jpg

while I fear that this young lady is likely to suffer from exposure, baring so much flesh in Edwardian's current realm:

post-13650-0-43427200-1531553404_thumb.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of sub-optimal companies, no-one's picked up on my rather trollish reference to the Midland/GSWR/NBR as the "other" route to Scotland...

We did, it's just best not to challenge the delusional.... :jester:

We even have royalty on our side on the West Coast.

post-13616-0-22015000-1531558542.jpg

Edited by Argos
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We did, it's just best not to challenge the delusional.... :jester:

We even have royalty on our side on the West Coast.

Bit of artistic license there - I don't think the Caledonian main line passes through any country quite that mountainous.

The Midland was rather more honest about its scenery - whilst making a good deal out of it:

post-29416-0-41181100-1531559820.jpg

Readers, please excuse this little poster war. Other attractions are available. Speaking of Royal Routes:

post-29416-0-27127800-1531559892.jpg

• Like 6