• RMweb Gold

I noticed that the predominent tram locos in these South Staffordshire views were Beyer Peacocks. I speculated on whether they might be typically BP pretty little things when bereft of their decorous street petticoats and topcoats. Other sorts of  tram engines stripped bare appear to be clumsily big boned due to very high pitched boilers and bulky well tanks slung below.

Smutty old RaR is off to bed to dream about a trio of sweetly innocent West Norfolk 0-4-0T BP maids with well proportioned domes and safety valves, Whenever one of the sisters' turn came to be assigned to street running duties, she simply found a freshly laundered set of clothes hanging up in the nursery loco-shed ready to drop down about her to be secured with stout turn-buckles.

attachicon.gifRokeby Venus.jpg

Velasquez rather than pre Raphaelite; but I would submit On Topic geographically

dh

A steam tram named Desire?

Manchester Museum of Science and Industry has a large collection of Beyer Peacock works photographs and GAs online, including these little street trams, of which I here present a selection.

Well, it might save you having to get your kicks from viewing naked women ... !

post-25673-0-67129900-1515564032.jpg

post-25673-0-83242200-1515564055.jpg

post-25673-0-75235500-1515564064.jpg

post-25673-0-43100500-1515564080.jpg

post-25673-0-35248500-1515564087.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

]In an attempt to keep the thread on topic while also adding to previous topics, the following photograph is Edwardian and of a team of railway builders - not in lush East Anglia but in northern Canada during the building of one of the more Northerly lines of the Canadian National Railway. One of the gentlemen is my grandfather. I have some clues as to where it and other contemporary photos were taken and some time I shall have to work out just which line they were building.

Turning to the topic of Edwardian dress, there does not seem to be a frock coat or corset in sight (!) but I suspect that this is much more likely to have been the typical attire of the denizens of Castle Aching other than the Lord of the Manor and possibly the Rector (though he might have been too high church to have gone around in the styles adopted by the laity.

That is other than the hats, which I suspect might have been a more local affectation.

Anyway, Edwardian, here is your gang of platelayers just raring to get on with the job.

Jonathan

post-13650-0-84046800-1515580729_thumb.jpg

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Iush East Anglia

I now have a vision of housewives all over Norfolk and Suffolk in full make-up and party frocks, reclining tipsily on their sofas, sipping their mid-morning Martinis. 

It must be something to do with my age.

Anyhow, look forward to the picture.

EDIT: Aha, the picture! They look fit and healthy, probably more so than the average contemporary Brit, and, like all people in old photographs, rather serious.  Which one is your Grandfather? 

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Premium

Aye, and they've never even invited us round to see it!

B00dy landlords!

You'll have to be quick because in 1906 they'll be selling it to the nation to be hung in the National Gallery and duly attacked with a meat clever by Mary Richardson, who didn't like the way men gawped at it... Edward VII is said to have greatly admired it (why am I not surprised?) and contributed to the purchase fund. Thus sayeth Wikipedia.

Re: Hats, labouring classes for the wearing of.

Broad-brimmed 'slop' hats were pretty ordinary wear for countrymen in England and Ireland (I don't know about Wales or Scotland), up to at least the 1930s. Caps of various kinds seem to have gradually overtaken them, and I would guess that three things might have caused that: cheaper caps, once industrial production of headwear got going (caps involve a lot of stitching, which would be expensive by hand, which felt hats don't); the movies driving fashion; and, it can be quite annoying to get in and out of the cab of a vehicle with a broad hat on.

As I've bored with before, unless it's seriously windy, a broad hat is actually better for outdoor manual work than a cap, because it protects the nape of the neck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I can work out which is my grandfather, as there is some writing on the back of the print. I just have to find the print.

A claimed incident from that period which you may not feel it appropriate to reproduce on Castle Aching (and may or may not be true)

One dark night he was returning to base from the head of rails on one of those motorised PW trolley things (which I am surprised they had that early). He hit a bear. When he woke up the bear was dead (but obviously he wasn't).

Believe it if you like but it has gone down in our family as infallible history.

Jonathan

• Like 5

A steam tram named Desire?

Manchester Museum of Science and Industry has a large collection of Beyer Peacock works photographs and GAs online, including these little street trams, of which I here present a selection.

Well, it might save you having to get your kicks from viewing naked women ... !

Thanks so much for going to the trouble of posting those BP tram engine MMoS&I pics. (My oh my, there must have been hours and hours of clicking away through search boxes in the wee small hours to unearth such sources).

The vertical boilered engines must look pretty exciting unclothed (like 'Howard' here)!

But I'd tried to visualise the lower BP versions with horizontal boiler/firebox unclothed in conventional service. A spectacle plate might be worn, and by 1903 perhaps a lightly framed metal shelter from heavy rain.

I'd hoped such a loco might have side tanks the length of the boiler and smoke box with bunkers over rear parts of the tanks. The overcoat and lower skirts would drop over in the opposite way of Wallace getting dressed  in the Wrong Trousers.

But I suppose multi-use/multi purpose is a much later 1970s industrial designer's pretension.

dh

PS

The classic Velázquez for enigmatic compositional use of a mirror is Las Meninas,

There have been a few de-frocked tram engines used in industrial service, and I think there is a thread about modelling one somewhere on here, and a few British ones were built without enclosure above the running-plate, making them look a bit Belgian.

The thing that is hard to appreciate until you get up close to one is how very small even 'big' street tram engines are. Everything is squashed-up very tight, often with steeply-included cyclinders, and with a water tank under the boiler, between some and firebox, but not quite a well-tank.

They must have been absolutely painful, and therefore expensive, to maintain or repair, let alone operate, which explains why they disappeared so quickly once tramway electrification was perfected.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks so much for going to the trouble of posting those BP tram engine MMoS&I pics. (My oh my, there must have been hours and hours of clicking away through search boxes in the wee small hours to unearth such sources).

The vertical boilered engines must look pretty exciting unclothed (like 'Howard' here)!

But I'd tried to visualise the lower BP versions with horizontal boiler/firebox unclothed in conventional service. A spectacle plate might be worn, and by 1903 perhaps a lightly framed metal shelter from heavy rain.

I'd hoped such a loco might have side tanks the length of the boiler and smoke box with bunkers over rear parts of the tanks. The overcoat and lower skirts would drop over in the opposite way of Wallace getting dressed  in the Wrong Trousers.

But I suppose multi-use/multi purpose is a much later 1970s industrial designer's pretension.

dh

PS

The classic Velázquez for enigmatic compositional use of a mirror is Las Meninas,

Fascinating link.  Everyone should have a 'Howard'.  What a wonderful locomotive.

As for Velázquez, I note from Wiki that the Rokeby Venus was effectively extorted from its owners by the egregious Manuel Godoy, AKA Prince of Peace, the Spanish court's very own Rasputin figure, and one of the principal causes of the Peninsular War! 

For an evocation of the tragic implications of the black comedy that was the Spanish court of the day, listen to the seconf movement of 'orange juice'.

There have been a few de-frocked tram engines used in industrial service, and I think there is a thread about modelling one somewhere on here, and a few British ones were built without enclosure above the running-plate, making them look a bit Belgian.

The thing that is hard to appreciate until you get up close to one is how very small even 'big' street tram engines are. Everything is squashed-up very tight, often with steeply-included cyclinders, and with a water tank under the boiler, between some and firebox, but not quite a well-tank.

They must have been absolutely painful, and therefore expensive, to maintain or repair, let alone operate, which explains why they disappeared so quickly once tramway electrification was perfected.

Even the smaller, older, 0-4-0 GE Trams, the G15s, would, I reckon, loom over one of these little street trams. 

Can I draw the attention of Members of the Parish Council to a truly excellent layout in RM this month?

Article called 'Edwardian splendour in 6 x 4', it's the Ffarquhar Branch layout, Awdry out of Deane, but rendered as an LBSCR line, with very good scenic work and structures. It's very clever, because the width makes a small layout look big.

• RMweb Gold

Can I draw the attention of Members of the Parish Council to a truly excellent layout in RM this month?

Article called 'Edwardian splendour in 6 x 4', it's the Ffarquhar Branch layout, Awdry out of Deane, but rendered as an LBSCR line, with very good scenic work and structures. It's very clever, because the width makes a small layout look big.

It is usually sometime after the middle of the month before RM makes its way to our local town, but I will look out for it, thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I  would be surprised if any of the WN Board were not yet aware of this beast unleashed When I saw it in New Delhi over 5 years ago it looked a long way from being operational.

dh

There is a thread running on here with Stubby’s valiant attempts at creating this, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125443-stubby47s-project-4-the-return-of-the-psmt/&do=findComment&comment=2823211

I had a snoop at the Feb RM in the WHS on Paddington this afternoon, and took in the LBSC 6x4 layout that’s featured. When this design was freshly minted, I was still a callow youth, instead of a callow pensioner, and this was my second go at a layout. It was built as a one piece but had to be stowed away under the bed and I was away most of the time and it was doomed from the start. If you’ve got somewhere to place it permanently, it’s a great design, although I would be inclined to have an open middle, in part for access, in part to break up the solid block of scenery, This layout looks great, and very good exercise in pregroupery. Of course, you can shrink a bit with a On16.5 version, but let’s not go there right now.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the plan started with an open centre, in a tiny closet in Mr Deane's home, I think it might have been called Portreath, and been GWR, but although I've read it, I don't have a copy of the very early (Aug/Sep 1950) RM in which it was described. The idea was quickly recycled by CJF in one his very early plans.

Whatever the history, it's a really good design, and I sometime wish I'd based my retro-0 layout on it.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

I should have kept that issue. It’s a layout that sticks in your mind as a groundbreaker, mainly I suppose because it combined a simple oval run (and it is nice just to be able to let a train go round and round, just watching it) with a proper branch line operation. What I remember the originator was a Mr. Colson, living in Bristol. CJF got to hear about it and mentioned it in RM and several readers sat up and took notice. CJF then put the plan in the RM, but he cleaned it up into a rectangular form, as it was placed in the pantry of an old house, with irregular shape, and I think the major dimension was 5’6” to start with. It did have an open centre, and there was a small halt on the opposite side to the main station. The new LBSC version has also “flipped” the plan so the station and yard are facing the other way compared to the original. Maurice Deane, also of Bristol, used the same principle for his Portreath layout soon after, and quite a few people must have tried it since, including the Ffarquhar version. Since those days cassettes have been thought up, and I think the fiddle yard would benefit using these.

Quasimodo, (an edit I couldn’t resist)

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

Gordon Bennett I've just been reading about various Lord Nelson detail changes in the Hornby threads and I wouldn't want to be a manufacturer!

Hornby have barely got their pre-production CADs turned into basic 3D assemblies and they are being told that they have likely got this and that wrong.

Much as I like researching detail, and earlier is better than after production, ouch!

Thread-drift detector sirens going off, but there was mention of trams, and they were a primary urban transport mode in 1926, which was when Maunsell designed his 4-cylinder 4-6-0 to banish 4-4-0s of Edwardian ilk to the nether ends of the Southern Railway ....  so there.   (Actually the Nelsons were replaced on some boat trains by pairs of 4-4-0s for a while...because as we know the Nelsons often wouldn't steam, with some crews anyway.)  

Well, I am just waking up.

As to Edwardian politics and so on, my Grandfather, the electrical engineer, was decorated for service in the Boer War and then argued with his rather wealthy father in England, settled for a certain rather substantial sum and came to NZ, so I can blame Edwardian conservatives for everything

Now, where is that cup of tea?

Oh yes, I was feeling sorry for manufacturers. I have not yet pre-ordered my LBSCR H1.  I used to have all all three NRM Atlantics and sold them....being at times in need of money to eat, but a picture of one might be allowed.

post-7929-0-53767900-1515707719_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I had the pleasure of seeing the original years ago at Central Hall. I asked the Rev if he had based the station on anywhere. "The real one of course" He replied. Who came up with the plan first is probably lost in time. Maurice Dean and Frank Coulson both produced early versions but with a central hole for the operator. Most of the the modellers were aware of the others there weren't so many in those days and ideas were freely exchanged.

Don

• Like 1

Oops I just remembered,I have pre-ordered an Edwardian Atlantic, well, one which was designed in 1911, so close enough...

post-7929-0-04870700-1515715489_thumb.jpg

I have a feeling that this style of engine is going to be popular.

(Blithely ignoring any current conversation here, my apologies)

• Like 1