I remember a parade at a French town my regiment had "liberated" (driven through rapidly?) in 1944.  Our band played along with the band of the local fire brigade.  The style and sound of French military/brass bands is very different.  I do not know enough about music to explain why, but the difference in the sound is very evident, particularly when a French and English band are playing the same piece at the same time!

There was a superb "patriotic song" celebrating the self-confidence of Victorian Britain written for the RSC's famous adaptation of Nicholas Nickleby.

I hadn't realised that you were that old Edwardian!

Liberating French villages with your regiment in '44, even if you were only 18, that would put you at 91 now.

I had a mental picture that your were younger..... :)

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't realised that you were that old Edwardian!

Liberating French villages with your regiment in '44, even if you were only 18, that would put you at 91 now.

I had a mental picture that your were younger..... :)

Men are born and men must die, but regiments live forever!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If he's Edwardian he is most probably a centenarian. Obviously keeping well.

Don

I believe the phrase is "well preserved"....

(On my part, I sometimes wake up of a morning and feel anything but that!)

• RMweb Premium

I believe the phrase is "well preserved"....

(On my part, I sometimes wake up of a morning and feel anything but that!)

kyanised or creosote?

• RMweb Gold

Well, still no C&L Finescale delivery, so no chairs.  

Everyone else - SMP/Marcway, Timber Tracks and Charles Cantrill - delivered with satisfactory speed.  

Don't anyone hold their breath waiting for any track to be laid.

Will I actually have the gumption to set about when the final components do arrive? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now, it is funny how a little thing like that affects motivation.

There are two problems.  One is that one comes to believe that lack of progress is inevitable and, truly, it will never be finished.  The other is, of course, the lack of skills and lack of confidence in developing them.

There is always something else I can find to do instead of learning to lay track, or face Silhouette, not least because, usually, there is something else I should be doing.   

The answer is to pull my finger out, of course!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now, it is funny how a little thing like that affects motivation.

There are two problems.  One is that one comes to believe that lack of progress is inevitable and, truly, it will never be finished.  The other is, of course, the lack of skills and lack of confidence in developing them.

There is always something else I can find to do instead of learning to lay track, or face Silhouette, not least because, usually, there is something else I should be doing.   

feel the fear but do it anyway

42.jpg

interlaced sleepers as well

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Two problems, but one solution...

...of which you are well aware!

As my granddaughter once said to me when I questioned why she had given me a purple pen to colour in the hair of a girl on a drawing 'Just do it!'.  You'll never learn how to do it if you don't try,   and remember, 'if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again!' :declare:

feel the fear but do it anway

And not a hard hat or hi-viz vest in sight!  As Mr Punch would say 'That's the way to do it!'   :jester:

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As my granddaughter once said to me when I questioned why she had given me a purple pen to colour in the hair of a girl on a drawing 'Just do it!'. 

You are now adept at portraits of purple haired girls?

I'm afraid my reaction to demotivation on other projects is to start another wagon...

• Like 1

You are now adept at portraits of purple haired girls?

Provided the outline is drawn in first!  I'm no artist. :nono:  She is now 13, so I expect her to appear with purple hair any day now!

I'm afraid my reaction to demotivation on other projects is to start another wagon...

I have to resist the temptation to start another etched kit and get on with the job in hand.  I have to confess that after I had finished the warehouse for Kirkallanmuir I made up some etched point levers as I was in need of a 'fix', finding myself suffering from soldering withdrawl symptoms.

Jim

• Like 1