• RMweb Gold

Well, so far, the C&L chairs have yet to materialise.  There is still tomorrow's post. 

I suspect that the sensible thing to do will be to start with the first point (going from right to left), and I will certainly need the chairs for that.

However, the first job will be to lay the cork and then stick the track plan down on to it, and I hope to manage that this weekend.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Being a dimbo when it came to history at school, it's taken me forever to realise what a genius Henry VIII was. Aside from his other accomplishments, going for a pincer movement on the church, tackling doctrine/theology simultaneous with tackling temporal power was strategically very clever. Exploiting the climate of the times to do it was smart too; if he'd hesitated for too long, things mightn't have gone the way they did.

Now back towards topic ....... oops, can't think of anything relevant!

His grandmother, the (in)famous Marget Beaufort, commented when Henry was young and his older brother, Arthur, was still alive and likely to become king after Henry VII, “God help us if Henry becomes king”! Or something similar.

Scarily prescient: although Henry was undoubtedly gifted in many fields music, languages, literature, for example - he was headstrong, wilful and ultimately selfish. Do not forget that he considered himself a Catholic and not a Protestant until his dying day: he simply wanted to be rid of any “power” betwixt him and God, so made himself literally supreme leader of the Church in (not so much as of) England & Wales. Division in the country was largely about whether or not you supported his authority over the Pope on spiritual matters. But Henry created an environment of division and factionalism, which he was not around to deal with.

It was his children, Edward (very Protestant!), Mary (very Roman) and Elizabeth (surprisingly tolerant given the fervour of the times), who caused the real problems...

• RMweb Gold

His grandmother, the (in)famous Marget Beaufort, commented when Henry was young and his older brother, Arthur, was still alive and likely to become king after Henry VII, “God help us if Henry becomes king”! Or something similar.

Scarily prescient: although Henry was undoubtedly gifted in many fields music, languages, literature, for example - he was headstrong, wilful and ultimately selfish. Do not forget that he considered himself a Catholic and not a Protestant until his dying day: he simply wanted to be rid of any “power” betwixt him and God, so made himself literally supreme leader of the Church in (not so much as of) England & Wales. Division in the country was largely about whether or not you supported his authority over the Pope on spiritual matters. But Henry created an environment of division and factionalism, which he was not around to deal with.

It was his children, Edward (very Protestant!), Mary (very Roman) and Elizabeth (surprisingly tolerant given the fervour of the times), who caused the real problems...

I agree.  Henry wanted Catholicism without the Pope. He was very conservative in his attitude to doctrine and forms of worship.  I seem to remember that it was he who was first called "Defender of the Faith", a title bestowed upon him by the Pope!

The unintended consequence of Henry's nationalisation of the church was that once you took the English church away from the authority of the Pope, it was open to Protestant reformers to seek to influence its direction.  They did not make too much headway under Henry, but, as you say, they did under his son. The ding- was then between the puritan Protestants and those wanting a return to Rome.  Subsequently, those wanting a less puritan C of E would be considered crypto-Roman Catholics.  That battle for the soul of the Church of England was the real casus belli of the Civil War in the 1640s, rather than the constitutional opposition of the 1630s.

Of course, Whig historians saw the Civil war as part of the inevitable march to constitutional monarchy, and the religious motivation behind it was not traditionally given sufficient prominence.  Our Civil war might best be viewed in terms of the religious wars that afflicted the continent in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries. 

The matter was not effectively decided until James II did a bunk and his attempt to return was decisively stopped on the banks of the Boyne.

Even then, the last spasms of these old conflicts were not seen until the mid-Eighteenth Century, when you see recusant English Catholics joining the Young Pretender's predominantly protestant Highland army because Charles Stuart represented the catholic succession.  

• RMweb Premium

Lunch time break over, class put your history books away, next lesson is modelling (oh, sir, yawn, boring, etc.,) when your modelling with solvents try and cultivate the habit of modelling with straight arms rather than bent elbows. It's nice to get close to see what you're at, but it helps stop fumes going up your hooter. I'm not using solvents for track, but with soldering I'm using acid flux, and the vapour off that has much the same effect.

I believe thats the roof of the Chapter house that is part of the cathedral, it's height is exagerated by the angle of the picture

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lincoln/@53.2347252,-0.5362654,284m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48780ccb711104fb:0x36603dcfe8c7ddc7!8m2!3d53.230688!4d-0.540579

The round one top right in this picture.

Chapter house,  a building for meetings which is normally round or octagonal with seats round the edge facing in so the monks could see each other when talking.

Used to stay in a hotel opposite the chapter house for work many years ago! Never realised it was so tall. The bells from the Cathedral were a pain, especially when on night shift and sleeping during the day.

Must go back one day and see it all again with a different set of eyes to then.

• RMweb Gold

Lunch time break over, class put your history books away, next lesson is modelling (oh, sir, yawn, boring, etc.,) when your modelling with solvents try and cultivate the habit of modelling with straight arms rather than bent elbows. It's nice to get close to see what you're at, but it helps stop fumes going up your hooter. I'm not using solvents for track, but with soldering I'm using acid flux, and the vapour off that has much the same effect.

Oh lor' double metalwork.........

I've a note from me mum asking for me to be excused soldering.  Can I do some turning on the Boxford instead?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease sir?

• Like 1

Interesting wagon in the background: "Booth & ..." No. 186; lettering white shaded, presumably black, so body colour grey or red, most likely grey. Seven planks, outside diagonal ironwork.

A little internet digging suggests the Ipswich firm of Booth & Mitchell. W.H. Booth made a minor name for himself as a painter although evidently keeping up the coal trade sufficiently to afford to collect as well. See a comment by wagonman towards the end of this old thread on Southwold on another forum.

Since then I have copied most of the GER PO wagon registers (and the M&GN one too) but have not had the time to transcribe anything. I might have a trawl through to see if I can find Mr Booth...

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I agree.  Henry wanted Catholicism without the Pope. He was very conservative in his attitude to doctrine and forms of worship.  I seem to remember that it was he who was first called "Defender of the Faith", a title bestowed upon him by the Pope!

Etc, etc...

This is a bit scary: I was going to make the same points re the wars of the three kingdoms (I prefer Simon Schama’s phrase to “civil war”) but thought I might be going on too much, even for this thread!

And of course the word “tory” came from Irish Roman Catholic supporters of the Stewart cause, from the Erse “tóraidhe” meaning a bandit.

The ding-###### was then between the puritan Protestants and those wanting a return to Rome.  Subsequently, those wanting a less puritan

Quite funny that the puritanical profanity checker has hashed out the word “d0ng”...
  • Like 1

Double Chemistry for me - trying to get some elderly Methfix transfers to stick...

Apply them when the paint/varnish is slightly tacky.  I brush a thin film of paint on the area where the transfer is to go, wait half an hour or so and then apply the transfer.

No-one has mentioned DL-Limonene.  It appears to be relatively safe,but the bottle does say 'Flammable, Irritating to the skin, very toxic to aquatic organisms'.  In view of the latter it might not be a good idea to use it around frogs, unless you call them by their proper name, crossings! :blum:

Double Chemistry for me - trying to get some elderly Methfix transfers to stick...

Double (or possibly even quadruple) tech drawing for me as i try to draw up the artwork for an etch to built Kirkallanmuir signal cabin!

Jim

• Like 2

No-one has mentioned DL-Limonene.  It appears to be relatively safe,but the bottle does say 'Flammable, Irritating to the skin, very toxic to aquatic organisms'.  In view of the latter it might not be a good idea to use it around frogs, unless you call them by their proper name, crossings! :blum:

Probably no worse than juicing them, that seems popular with DCC fanatics!

• RMweb Premium

Apply them when the paint/varnish is slightly tacky.  I brush a thin film of paint on the area where the transfer is to go, wait half an hour or so and then apply the transfer.

I'd not thought of that. I'm applying them to a gloss varnished surface, but the varnish was sprayed several days ago. Microset and Microsol are also coming into the equation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of us can't even contemplate using such stuff, I also no longer use oil based paint because of the fumes. As someone who has built PCB point work for the last ten years I wonder if there is a low fume alternative so I too can build detailed pointwork.

As detailed on my own threads I'm changing to EM so need to find a low fume way of fixing chairs to sleepers when building point work, anyone found any alternatives to butanone?

Martyn

I sympathise. I normally use Plastic Weld, much more pleasant stuff, and works well with the Osborne chairs and plastruct sleepers I use in 3mm/ft scale. I've recently started using 3mm Society chairs with plastruct sleepers, and initial feeling was that the chairs (different plastic?) weren't attaching quite so well, so gave Butanone a go. Found it fairly vile, worse than Mekpak (which as others have remarked isn't actually MEK).

What to do? Went back and gave the Plastic Weld another go, and this time it seemed to work fine. So will stick to that. I'd suggest giving it a go.

Seen various claims recently that Butanone is fine and nothing to worry about. I'm not taking the risk.

• RMweb Premium

This is a bit scary: I was going to make the same points re the wars of the three kingdoms (I prefer Simon Schama’s phrase to “civil war”) but thought I might be going on too much, even for this thread!

And of course the word “tory” came from Irish Roman Catholic supporters of the Stewart cause, from the Erse “tóraidhe” meaning a bandit.

Quite funny that the puritanical profanity checker has hashed out the word “d0ng”...

Try whiggamore - in Irish legend, I don't think there's much distinction. To get us back on topic, that would be a three-way point you would be making...

• RMweb Gold

I sympathise. I normally use Plastic Weld, much more pleasant stuff, and works well with the Osborne chairs and plastruct sleepers I use in 3mm/ft scale. I've recently started using 3mm Society chairs with plastruct sleepers, and initial feeling was that the chairs (different plastic?) weren't attaching quite so well, so gave Butanone a go. Found it fairly vile, worse than Mekpak (which as others have remarked isn't actually MEK).

What to do? Went back and gave the Plastic Weld another go, and this time it seemed to work fine. So will stick to that. I'd suggest giving it a go.

Seen various claims recently that Butanone is fine and nothing to worry about. I'm not taking the risk.

Plastic Weld is essentially 85-90% dicholoromethane and these is MEK.

Old-fashioned Tippex thinners might work!

Thank you for the history lessons. I have to say that I read It as being almost entirely about power, with The King not wanting his fettered in any way, and having the wit, means and opportunity to take what had previously been the church's share of it.

...and MEK is also known as butanone...

I always understood that MEK stood for Methy-Ethyl-Ketone,  IIRC from my Higher Chemistry, a ketone has a butane ring at it's centre..

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I always understood that MEK stood for Methy-Ethyl-Ketone, IIRC from my Higher Chemistry, a ketone has a butane ring at it's centre..

MEK = C4H8O = 2-butanone.

CH3-CO-CH2-CH3

(CH3- the methyl group, CO- the ketone, CH2-CH3- the ethyl group. I suppose it should be MKE? :) )

You may recall testing to see whether a chemical was a ketone or an aldehyde by heating in a test tube with Fehling’s Solution?

I tried an alternative version: squirt each chemical onto the desk, play Bunsen burner over it. Whichever catches fire is the ketone.

I was told that this was an interesting way to test for oxidation states, but not one which had a great deal of practical application, and to at least use a heat proof mat next time...

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Architecture, History, Solvents (their use and misuse)* and Biological Experimentation......

Its amazing what an interest in Railway Modelling can embody!

* Sounds like a Mastermind Special Subject classification.

• RMweb Premium

MEK = C4H8O = 2-butanone.

CH3-CO-CH2-CH3

(CH3- the methyl group, CO- the ketone, CH2-CH3- the ethyl group. I suppose it should be MKE? :) )

The "2" is superfluous.  Butanone is butanone, no ketone isomers are possible.

• RMweb Gold

Well Bullhead rail has arrived, from SMP, in good time, followed by ply sleepers from Timber Tracks, with commendable speed. 

Still to come are the C&L chairs.

I now realise that I have made no provision for gluing the chairs to the sleepers. 

C&L sell Butanone, but I haven't ordered any.  I gather it's basically MEK.  Any advice or good sources for the stuff? 

Sorry I did mention solvent but did not point out you need to order it. 

Don