• RMweb Gold

Firmly in 'old bloke' mode: The Clangers isn't what is was. My youngest bro used to watch it, and I used to watch over his shoulder, and I'm sure that the 'back then' version had a drier, more bizarre, wit.

PS: there is a clear rule that any county-themed, hand-held, pastry-enclosed, foodstuff is inedible.

Things that never needed a remake: No.1 Total Recall, No.2 The Clangers 

Taking a step sideways, what about Pussy Cat Willum and Ollie Beak?

What about them?

You mean I've been wrong all these years its not Melton Mowbrayshire?

Interesting idea.  One of my more extreme plans was to invent a major pre-Grouping company, something like Edward Beal's WMR, but with an entire in depth history, including Locomotive Superintendents and their characteristic styles.  The line would have been the Great Midland & Eastern Railway, focussing on the East Midlands, but featuring the newly absorbed North & South Junction Railway.

The layout was to be set in the Edwardian period, and to feature Buckminster Junction.  This is a nod to Buckingham Great Central. Peter Denny took a real, but insignificant place that sounded more important that it was - Grandborough - and made it an important railway junction.  My version would be Buckminister, which is a real place, but despite the pretensions of its name, is merely a small estate village.  It sounds like it should be an ancient town of great importance with a Minster!

I can't help thinking that 'Mowbrayshire' could fit in with the scheme somehow.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't mention the PRY or they'll start pushing for another Independence referendum

Just wait until God's Own County becomes God's Own Republic (under the leadership of Saint Boycott); it won't be long before they act to reclaim their historic borders, i.e. all land south of the Tees.  Next they will claim the right to 'liberate' Yorkshiremen inside what remains of County Durham and occupy the land up to the Tyne.  

Giant banners bearing the white rose will hang from every government building in the Occupied Zone and battalions of flat-cap wearing storm troopers will march north for the invasion of Geordie Land.  Once Newcastle falls, I can imagine the scene; drunken Yorkshire soldiers round the piano in the public bar, loudly singing 'On Ilkla Moor ...', when, in a rare act of defiance, a young girl starts singing 'Blaydon Races', and everyone else takes up the song, drowning out the invaders.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The layout was to be set in the Edwardian period, and to feature Buckminster Junction.  

Should it escape Beeching the local architect Mr. Fuller, might dream up a dramatic station for the late 20th century.

http://media.architecturaldigest.com/photos/56be123ff80b269a4abafe1e/master/w_640,c_limit/buckminster-fuller-architecture-02.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

St Enodoc is right, and Yorkshire Pudding, Norfolk Scones, Sussex Pond Pudding, and any number of other things are also excluded, because they are not 'pastry enclosed'.

Alas neither are many offerings in Restaurants that masquerade  as Pies    ( also on that bases Gypsy Tart is also of the menu )

This thread  reminds me more and  more  of a Gentleman's Club  with Smoking Jackets deep chairs and pass the port to the left

Thoroughly enjoying it  :smoke:

Nick

• Like 2

• Trade Member

I don't know. You lot and all your talk for food, and counties, and my proximity to Sainsburys.........

post-22762-0-45964500-1497462862_thumb.jpg

I'm almost tempted to send you the bill!!

Gary

PS. This means Sainsbury's in Eastbourne still sell it, it's hidden in the deli counter!!

• Like 4

The exceptions are Scotch Pies and Scottish Steak pies, the first is too greasy, the second is normally full of gristle..

OBJECTION YOUR HONOUR!!!

Neither product from our local bakers http://www.theorchardbiggar.co.uk/ fits that description, in fact both are award winning!! :boast:  :declare:

There is also the Forfar bridie, but then Forfar is no longer a county either.

Jim

• Like 2

Just wait until God's Own County becomes God's Own Republic (under the leadership of Saint Boycott); it won't be long before they act to reclaim their historic borders, i.e. all land south of the Tees.  Next they will claim the right to 'liberate' Yorkshiremen inside what remains of County Durham and occupy the land up to the Tyne.  

Giant banners bearing the white rose will hang from every government building in the Occupied Zone and battalions of flat-cap wearing storm troopers will march north for the invasion of Geordie Land.  Once Newcastle falls, I can imagine the scene; drunken Yorkshire soldiers round the piano in the public bar, loudly singing 'On Ilkla Moor ...', when, in a rare act of defiance, a young girl starts singing 'Blaydon Races', and everyone else takes up the song, drowning out the invaders.

Hmmmmm!!

https://youtu.be/vpLZs5nbK9k

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of local delicacies, I have to propose lardy cake from Wiltshire, a real chloresterol product, as it was a sort of cake, but totally saturated in lard. Because of this it is better served up warmed, with the lard in a liquid state oozing out. In Swindon works, Friday was "Lardy morning" with lads sent out to bring it in from the local shops. It then went into "lardy warmers", each gang having their own homemade job, biscuit tins with electric heating elements sort of thing. This would then be consumed with relish at morning tea break. I've tried to find a picture of a really runny one without success.

post-26540-0-45541100-1497472371.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And in the final scene, the two heros walk into the mist, to cross the moors into Lancashire. (after one has dropped a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale into a wastebin.....)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And in the final scene, the two heroes walk into the mist, to cross the moors into Lancashire. (after one has dropped a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale into a wastebin.....)

And that could be the start of a beautiful friendship ....

Ecky Thump!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But we'll always have Morpeth...

Alas neither are many offerings in Restaurants that masquerade  as Pies    ( also on that bases Gypsy Tart is also of the menu )

This thread  reminds me more and  more  of a Gentleman's Club  with Smoking Jackets deep chairs and pass the port to the left

Thoroughly enjoying it  :smoke:

Nick

Long time since I had a gypsy tart...

• RMweb Premium

But we'll always have Morpeth...

Long time since I had a gypsy tart...

plenty in the local Bakers although I always found it disgusting  ( memories of School Dinner )  although very easy to make 

Morpeth sounds too far North for my tastes

Nick

• RMweb Premium

OBJECTION YOUR HONOUR!!!

Neither product from our local bakers http://www.theorchardbiggar.co.uk/ fits that description, in fact both are award winning!! :boast:  :declare:

There is also the Forfar bridie, but then Forfar is no longer a county either.

Jim

Hmm I might go through Biggar next week (I some times get bored with the M74 and take a cross country trip across to Bo'ness).

I had forgotten the Bridie, a sort of Cornish pasty without the complications of vegetables. :jester:  I like them

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

Almost back to a railway theme...... travelled North on Northern Belle, served Haggis as we crossed the border, but since we'd had a Champagne Breakfast we were not feeling too much pain. It seemed OK, but since I've  never sampled  before or since how do I know?  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When we went to Scotland last year I bought a book on the railway to Portpatrick, or was it a book on Portpatrick with the railway in it, cannot remember.  Either way there was a picture in it dating from about1915 with a group of men at the last meeting of a bowls club or something and they all had flat caps as large as Bill Oddie's.  I had to look at least twice to make sure it was not a joke!

(You would have thought I would have checked the details before posting, I did and cannot find the book.)

Back on railways.  The station at Portpatrick used to in LMS days receive excursions which were double headed and ten coaches long.  The platform could only accommodate 5 coaches.  It was the terminus and you could not just draw forward to set down the passengers at the back.  There were numerous sidings but if you were at the back it would have been a bit of a wait.  You can see why cars became popular.

• Like 4