PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Gold

New Oxford English Dictionary is to be published on April 1st. New entries include;

Rivet Counter- Overly critical Model Railway enthusiast normally confined to armchair. See also Pedant, Rucksack, Whiff.

Sleeper Counter- Similar to rivet counter but focus confined to trackwork. -See also Pedant, Dissatisfied, Not easily pleased. Bull headed.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not heard the Meatloaf song, but definitely Queen in my book.....

Even more relevant.  I want it all, I want it all, I want it now.....

Not to mention a 'one track mind'.....

If a thread turns into quoting Queen lyrics, it must be a good one

Lyrics - Queen - I Want It All

I'm a man with a one track mind,

So much to do in one life time

Not a man for compromise and where's and why's and living lies

It ain't much I'm asking, if you want the truth,

which is why we do want a quick, ready-to-lay, reasonably good looking 00 track system

:sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 1

um, are there any railway lines anywhere that don't have them darn points?

Well lots but they're often not very interesting and tend to be used by things like hand propelled wagons on piers though I think that some of the watercress railways in Dorset were also pointless.

I did get to travel on the pier tramway at Ryde and I think that had two parallel tracks with a petrol railcar on each but no points. I do know of a few horse drawn tramways that managed to avoid having points and they were probably quite good fun but I don't know if any of them are still going. I did once come upon an active 60cm railway on the French Ile d'Oleron that connected a landing stage for the various boats that went to places like Fort Boyard with the shore and its car park. This must have been about 500metres long and had a diesel tractor that pushed and pulled two or three coaches back and forth.

• Like 1

Well lots but they're often not very interesting and tend to be used by things like hand propelled wagons on piers though I think that some of the watercress railways in Dorset were also pointless.

I did get to travel on the pier tramway at Ryde and I think that had two parallel tracks with a petrol railcar on each but no points. I do know of a few horse drawn tramways that managed to avoid having points and they were probably quite good fun but I don't know if any of them are still going. I did once come upon an active 60cm railway on the French Ile d'Oleron that connected a landing stage for the various boats that went to places like Fort Boyard with the shore and its car park. This must have been about 500metres long and had a diesel tractor that pushed and pulled two or three coaches back and forth.

The original Glasgow Underground (aka Subway) didn't have any points either - just two concentric circles, and a crane.

The original Glasgow Underground (aka Subway) didn't have any points either - just two concentric circles, and a crane.

More like two eccentric circles if you've ever travelled on it.....

Dave Franks

Wheel Counter- Similar to rivet counter but focus confined entirely to wheeled railway objects. Fails completely to notice that the wheels run on rails.

Would those be the rusty metal girder thingies half buried in stones that nobody bothers about very much until trains start falling off them. They seem to be sort of kept apart about as far as  Roman chariot wheels* (mostly rather narrow chariot wheels when they're modelled in  1:76) by the chunks of timber that gardeners use to build compost heaps? 

I've noticed that quite a lot of French trains don't use them at all these days. These appear in the timetable as Autocar and run on the roads instead. In Britain there now seems to be an organisation called the  Rail Replacement Service that's also making rails unnecessary. I see their signposts around quite often but I think that might be because trains get lost more often when they're being buses and not running on rails. 

I quite often see First Great Western Great Western Railway carriages on lorries on the A40 so they obviously don't need rails either. I saw a  First Great Western Great Western Railway advert recently that said that "our founder" is Isambard Kingdom Brunel but I'm not sure if I really believe that- I'm sure it was a completely different Great Western Railway that he was responsible for but perhaps they use the same rails.

Sorry that's probably a bit off topic but I do know a pub called the Bull's Head next to the Thames in Chiswick, would that have anything to do with what Peco might be making?

*This is a complete myth!!

Edited by Pacific231G

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone seen a sample or have only drawings been displayed?

A sample was displayed at the trade fair when Peco announced it. But this may be a mock-up and not the actual product:

12647045_1112396605460045_39902522879114

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Peco are the the York show this weekend, if I get chance I will ask when the track is likely to be available and report here, although I am sure others will do so before me.

Jamie

• Like 2

Martin - interesting that it is described as OO/HO!  Perhaps once some matching turnouts are available they will all just be described as OO.....

I wouldn't bet on it. They are too far down the 00/H0 road to go into reverse now :)

I wouldn't bet on it. They are too far down the 00/H0 road to go into reverse now :)

Martin - interesting that it is described as OO/HO!  Perhaps once some matching turnouts are available they will all just be described as OO.....

There IS a market for H0 bullhead, particularly in France where it was used very extensively by about half of the pre SNCF companies, and this will probably be closer than FB Streamline is to 00 in terms of sleeper spacings. The sleepers will be a bit wide for H0 but that's never stopped them buying SMP.

Edited by Pacific231G

this will probably be closer than FB Streamline is to 00 in terms of sleeper spacings. The sleepers will be a bit wide for H0 but that's never stopped them buying SMP.

I'm surprised you've not already been pulled down by the wolf pack for suggesting that such a sensible compromise could ever exist.

I'm probably echoing other comments but surely the market leader in pointwork should be producing points as well as plain track from the start? For years modellers not wanting/able/confident to build point kits have been compromising by using SMP/C&L etc "finescale" track with Peco code 75 points so it seems daft to me to not produce points from the off?