Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

We went round all this last summer both on this thread and your workbench thread, Mikkel. I had homed in on 2390 for various reasons, though possibly at that point there wasn't clarity on the footplate width of the Oxford model; Edwardian had given the boiler change dates for this engine. My desideratum is a Wolverhampton-shedded engine with S2 boiler, c. 1902. 

But, I don't think fluted v. plain con rods had been taken into account. I really must download all the info from these two threads to build my own reference file!

Ah right, I forgot that you had already chosen a prototype.  At the current discounts I'm also tempted to get one and do an S2 version. But I had better finish the other one first!

• Like 1

Quickie improvements.....Snap off the splashers and reduce in height. Also remove rivet detail, then glue back with Loctite. Deal with the cabside 'splasher' as you will. Paint handrails....Job done. If anyone is modeling the last survivor, which has the larger cab cut out, dont forget the front lamp brackets are mounted on the sandboxes, not the bufferbeam.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Quickie improvements.....Snap off the splashers and reduce in height. Also remove rivet detail, then glue back with Loctite. Deal with the cabside 'splasher' as you will. Paint handrails....Job done. If anyone is modeling the last survivor, which has the larger cab cut out, dont forget the front lamp brackets are mounted on the sandboxes, not the bufferbeam.

If you mean 2538 then you need to start with the lined green one (as I did). For 2516 start with the locomotion version and save renumbering (getting the moulded plates off without losing the rivets is tricky!). 

If you mean 2538 then you need to start with the lined green one (as I did). For 2516 start with the locomotion version and save renumbering (getting the moulded plates off without losing the rivets is tricky!). 

I thought I had seen adverts showing the GWR liveried plain green one with large cabside cut-out. 

Edited by coachmann

I thought I had seen adverts showing the GWR liveried plain green one with large cabside cut-out. 

No, the new releases have all had the new corrected cabs. Only the lined green one carries the 'wrong' cab, so if you want one of the minority of locos that had that shape (like 2538), better get it quick! 

Edited by Quarryscapes

• RMweb Premium

So that livery is correct (or almost) for which years ? I am sorry if this has been covered before.

About 1922-1934 although second link locos wouldn't get livery changes immediately

I have a nice colour photo in a book of GWR 4-4-0 on the eve of WWII with that livery and in very clean condition.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

About 1922-1934 although second link locos wouldn't get livery changes immediately

I have a nice colour photo in a book of GWR 4-4-0 on the eve of WWII with that livery and in very clean condition.

Keith

Hi Keith

Mine is on its way from Liverpool. You may recall that, some time ago, you helped me select a suitable number 2449 (Oswestry 1946)..........2475 didnt come back from France in 1940.  Any idea about the livery for 1948? Right now my plan is to leave it as Great Western unless I can find a photo that proves otherwise.

Best wishes

John

Hi Keith

Mine is on its way from Liverpool. You may recall that, some time ago, you helped me select a suitable number 2449 (Oswestry 1946)..........2475 didnt come back from France in 1940.  Any idea about the livery for 1948? Right now my plan is to leave it as Great Western unless I can find a photo that proves otherwise.

Best wishes

John

Yes that livery is fine...but it's on a 3000g tender! 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith

Best wishes

John

WWII and just after are dificult.

Officially the logo changed from shirtbutton, which started in 1934 to plan "GWR" in 1942 so that should be on the tender but lack of repaints during war conditions and many locos getting all black livery mean photographs are really needed to get it right.

BR plain black was the norm from nationalisation although at least one, 2579, was lined out.

(I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered 2475, my modelling period 'officially' ends at 1939)

Cheers

Keith

Just heard, mine's in stock and will be sent once I've payed the balance

Edited by melmerby

Hi Keith

Best wishes

John

John, 

This image from Colour Rail seems to surface quite often. It's 2460 in G-W-R Green at Severn Tunnel Junction in May 1947. 

CoY

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes that livery is fine...but it's on a 3000g tender!

Thanks guys ....it's sounding as though the "correct" livery for 1948 is conveniently uncertain!

Is a 3000g tender incorrect for post war......or do I need to modify the filler caps as demonstrated in your thread?

Kind regards

John

• RMweb Premium
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I do like the photo of 2477 outside the factory at Tysley, especially the GW roundel. Any idea of the approximate age?

Cheers,

Ian.

As Tony says June 1937.

If you go to the Warwickshire Railways site there are plenty of photos, usually captioned with when photo was taken and other relevant information..

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Have to say the plain green model looks a lot better than the first effort.

Unfortunately its still riddled with mistakes but I guess most modellers won't worry about that.

Disappointed with Oxfords effort on the Deans Goods but I suppose it was made to a price & when you do that something has to suffer.

A bit more research could have made this a very fine model but then it might have cost a lot more I'm sure.

• RMweb Gold

My just arrived via Royal Mail... 

Have to agree with Tony, much better effort, few issues, but none that really bother me. It's currently pottering around my test loop before I'll drop in a DCC chip and see what fun that will bring.

post-2090-0-72248300-1519216315_thumb.jpg

Having received my unlined green 2475 yesterday, and now comparing it with the previous lined green 2309, it's quite apparent that the earlier issue of the washout plugs being in line with the handrails has actually been resolved by lowering the level of the handrails, and not by retooling the washout plugs in a higher position . This is apparent when looking head-on at the smokebox - the curve of the handrails clearly comes down just that little bit further on the plain green model. (Now to get the green paint out...!) 

• Like 1

Having got my 2475 a couple of things to note:

1) if going for a direct fit decoder the narrow tender width will limit choice, the one I had to hand an oldish DCC concepts one was too long so ended up getting a decoder with a harness

2) On mine the screws retaining the tender top were a pig to unscrew and before I knew it I had knacked the screw heads and ended up drilling them out. The tender top still is secure. This may not be a common thing and just my ineptitude!