Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

The combination of over scale and over wide splashers would mean they would probably foul the boiler; so perhaps another compromise there.  I am currently building a Dean Goods based primarily from an old Mallard kit and this suffers that problem.  I reduced the splasher tops anyway as mine will be P4.

Incidentally, from a photo of 2516 posted on RMWeb I thought I noticed that the front splasher tops where narrower than the middle ones on the prototype.  This is probably to clear the firebox.

I have looked again at the published shots of the Oxford and compared the Chord line of the base of the splasher circle, on the footplate, with the drawings and relevant photos of the real loco and they are a close match. Oxford may have increased it by about half a mm chord length, indicating an insignificant increase in diameter.. But photos are very difficult to measure, it could be more, but it seems unlikely as the splashers look basically right to me! Mind you the lined ones look worst, an optical "delusion".

Of far greater concern is the lining width being oversize, at least on the samples.

Stephen.

The combination of over scale and over wide splashers would mean they would probably foul the boiler; so perhaps another compromise there.  I am currently building a Dean Goods based primarily from an old Mallard kit and this suffers that problem.  I reduced the splasher tops anyway as mine will be P4.

Incidentally, from a photo of 2516 posted on RMWeb I thought I noticed that the front splasher tops where narrower than the middle ones on the prototype.  This is probably to clear the firebox.

On the real loco the middle splasher is often wider to allow side movement. Some designers liked to widen the lot, more common on Northern designs like Scotland and the L&Y railway.

• RMweb Gold

I think we need to concentrate on the mistakes in the Oxford model & not the compromises of modelling in OO gauge.

People need to remember that in the making of an OO Gauge model compromise is necessary, mistakes are not. 

Agreed. You dont need to have a different shape of cab-side cutout because its OO gauge not P4. 

• RMweb Gold

I have looked again at the published shots of the Oxford and compared the Chord line of the base of the splasher circle, on the footplate, with the drawings and relevant photos of the real loco and they are a close match. Oxford may have increased it by about half a mm chord length, indicating an insignificant increase in diameter.. But photos are very difficult to measure, it could be more, but it seems unlikely as the splashers look basically right to me! Mind you the lined ones look worst, an optical "delusion".

Of far greater concern is the lining width being oversize, at least on the samples.

Stephen.

I wouldn't worry about the motorway lining, even if the common inaccuracies are cured, the tooling is entirely inappropriate for 2309, both in terms of Lot and condition!

That version is a write-off, whatever changes may result from Locomotion's intervention.

Despite being classed by you as a write off, I'll bet that the lined one outsells the unlined one even if they don't improve the width, Line up 100 modellers and I would expect maybe one person in the line up to know what the faults on the Oxford are! If al are GWR enthusiasts, then a couple more would be able to list them. Most of the others would be off to buy the Oxford. It is a lonely game trying to correct major makers over the last 50 years, join the queue.....Hornby still can't get a handrail knob right, bless them!

• RMweb Gold

Despite being classed by you as a write off, I'll bet that the lined one outsells the unlined

I am sure you are correct. Sadly.

You are probably quite right to say most people won't know any better.  I suspect this is because many of us have been content to assume that manufacturers have got things right. People might not even care that much, and may wish to remain ignorant when inconvenient truths stand between them and a pretty thing!  For others, it's probably a miss-placed trust in a manufacturer's standards of accuracy. 

So, yes, people will buy it.  But the fact that people buy it does not make it accurate!

As pretty toy ... well, feel free. As a scale model of 2309, it is a write off. 

It just means no one will ever be able to trust Oxford again when it says "here is a model of  X"

Things should do what it says on the tin.  This one says "2309".  And it just isn't.

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

Despite being classed by you as a write off, I'll bet that the lined one outsells the unlined one even if they don't improve the width, Line up 100 modellers and I would expect maybe one person in the line up to know what the faults on the Oxford are! If al are GWR enthusiasts, then a couple more would be able to list them. Most of the others would be off to buy the Oxford. It is a lonely game trying to correct major makers over the last 50 years, join the queue.....Hornby still can't get a handrail knob right, bless them!

It will no doubt sell like hot cakes because it says GWR (or words to that effect) on the side and it's pretty and 90% plus of those who buy one wouldn't know a real Dean Goods if they tripped over one in broad daylight (unless they've been to Steam - and then they'll ask  why the one there doesn't have a shiny dome and lining).

• Like 2

It will no doubt sell like hot cakes because it says GWR (or words to that effect) on the side and it's pretty and 90% plus of those who buy one wouldn't know a real Dean Goods if they tripped over one in broad daylight (unless they've been to Steam - and then they'll ask  why the one there doesn't have a shiny dome and lining).

And that despite there being no contemporary GWR pre-grouping goods stock or break van to run behind it apart from kits

On that front, would it now be cheaper for Oxford Rail to alter the one in Steam to reflect their model then to re-engineer the model

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Deep breath everyone ...

Apparently a corrected and improved Locomotion Dean Goods is in the offing (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117156-national-collection-in-miniature-dean-goods-class-no-2516/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2588145).

Head battles heart over whether this Horlicks can be sufficiently redeemed, though I genuinely hope it can be.

If changes are made, which I am agog to see, we might have the chance to buy a reasonably accurate model, albeit by paying the presentation box premium.

Logically, however, I would have thought that any changes to the tooling ought to be reflected in the standard range. 

Either way, I am very interested to see what Oxford/Locomotion comes up with and my fingers are very tightly crossed hoping for a decent result.

• Like 1

Deep breath everyone ...

Apparently a corrected and improved Locomotion Dean Goods is in the offing (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117156-national-collection-in-miniature-dean-goods-class-no-2516/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2588145).

Head battles heart over whether this Horlicks can be sufficiently redeemed, though I genuinely hope it can be.

If changes are made, which I am agog to see, we might have the chance to buy a reasonably accurate model, albeit by paying the presentation box premium.

Logically, however, I would have thought that any changes to the tooling ought to be reflected in the standard range. 

Either way, I am very interested to see what Oxford/Locomotion comes up with and my fingers are very tightly crossed hoping for a decent result.

Well I've cancelled my preorder and will just wait and see when it's released if I want one. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I've cancelled my preorder and will just wait and see when it's released if I want one. 

After seeing the cattle wagon abortion, I didn't even bother with a pre-order. Until they prove then can listen and not monumentally bodge things up, it's just not worth it.

• RMweb Gold

Yes - Hattons have moved all the Dean Goods estimmates two months forward.

However, Oxford Rail seem to adhere to the Mushroom Theory and just load new model announcements into the system, rather than keeping potential purchasers up to date on the ETA for the Dean Goods (for example...)

What a way to run a railway!

Hmmmm.  Wasn't the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton known as the "Old Worse and Worse"?

Yes - Hattons have moved all the Dean Goods estimmates two months forward.

However, Oxford Rail seem to adhere to the Mushroom Theory and just load new model announcements into the system, rather than keeping potential purchasers up to date on the ETA for the Dean Goods (for example...)

What a way to run a railway!

Hmmmm.  Wasn't the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton known as the "Old Worse and Worse"?

I think you will find that Oxford have advised their retailers of revised delivery dates which is why retailers are advising their customers of revised dates. I am struggling to understand the issue here. Is it the revised later date or the fact that Oxford just use Future on their website? Can't say that I see that much difference between Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby and Oxford, except that Oxford works on a 4-monthy announcement cycle, and issues delivery dates at that frequency.

• 5 weeks later...