• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Northroader said:

The table is nice and solid on a welded tubular legs, previously slung out from a primary school where my wife worked.

Oh dear - that's a madeleine for my short-lived secondary science teaching career. I had sixteen of them, they're as remarkable for the ways in which they will interlock. But as you've only the one... 

Good to see it being put to better use!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Oh dear - that's a madeleine ... I had sixteen of them,

Well you deserve to feel queasy after that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Reminders of my teaching career often make me feel queasy. 

A la recherche de la carrière perdue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mikkel said:

But the stock boxes under the table on the right really caught my attention, a reminder of the diverse and interesting stock that you build:

So these are boxes with full length trains, or how does it work?

IMG_0430.jpeg.012b6e5996056e2b9924407ef36e818d.jpeg

My stock boxes are made from sheets of 3mm greyboard, a thick cardboard you can get from art materials shops, and I think they use it for mounting pictures, Mikkel. I cut it to size with a Stanley knife, and also use this to score the corners before folding, then gluing with pva. One end is fixed, the other stuck down one side, and secured with a tag like shoe box, although I find these don’t take much wear. For 0 scale, they’re 4” x 3” section, though I find the occasional cupola or chimney will jam inside. Most of the stuff is a slack fit, but they’re kept roughly in line, and you can get buffers locking as you get them out, and sometimes as I decant them the odd buffer head will appear on its own, and I always try to keep them level. I fancy if you’re using tension lock couplers or suchlike you will find a lot of tangling as the set appears, I’m using link couplers which aren’t a problem for this. Generally there’s a made up set inside with loco and rolling stock. Using short trains they’re quite manageable, and lengths match fiddle yard cassettes, the length in inches being marked on the end, and a completed set gets a green square. You can see they’re strong enough to be stackable. If you’re a “collector” there’s great stress made of having the model packed in the original box, but as I scratchbuilt or pick up loose bits second hand I prefer having the models in blocks like this.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Great idea Bob.   My cassettes are 1m long which is too long to go into any cupboards I have. Perhaps a cardboard cover would work but would they be stackable?

Don

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It wasn't the tables I lost so much as the class's attention.

Well, you know the teacher's motto - Nil illigitimus minimus carborundumI!*

Jim

*(Very) loosely translated as 'Don't let the little b******s grind you down'!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Well, you know the teacher's motto - Nil illigitimus minimus carborundumI!*

Jim

*(Very) loosely translated as 'Don't let the little b******s grind you down'!

More a case of winding me up than grinding me down. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2024 at 11:40, Northroader said:

IMG_0430.jpeg.012b6e5996056e2b9924407ef36e818d.jpeg

Thank you for that explanation, and the photo. You could make quite a 1900s line-up if they were all combined!

On 04/01/2024 at 11:40, Northroader said:

as I decant them

But of course, the only appropriate term here. Santé! 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice bit of work. My copy of the Gauge 0 Guild gazette arrived yesterday. In Richard Barton's article you are mentioned as having given him two locos with a nice photo of Seaford. More good work.

Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Don, the postman has just come with my copy of the Gazette. My two are on page 56, I do hope they're behaving themselves. Richard is a lovely guy, and been a great help with getting stuff away.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I've had two tabs open in the browser, switching between your two stations - the one above and this one below from your Beyond Dover/Sao Lucas thread. Partly to admire them, and partly to work out if they are the same layout (I think you were working on a concept some time ago where the same layout would depict different locations)?

Apologies for losing the plot a bit, it's all borne out of genuine interest!

On 01/02/2024 at 18:24, Northroader said:

IMG_0454.jpeg.04b8289d8ed91d1fb7bfab8bc4f5b1ba.jpeg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

What’s happening, Mikkel, is on the left side of the railway room there’s a small layout 37mm gauge, intended for Iberian/ Irish goings on (you get the blame for the Iberian side of things) where the pantiles roof building is going to start things off for Portugal. Then over on the right there’s another layout 32mm gauge, standard gauge, where the slate roof building goes, for Bonny Scotland. The intention with this layout is primarily to take British pregroup, or Continental 1900, with a change of platform levels. All the lot is in 0, 7mm scale. Maybe some 1950 American, although with everything else happening this is on the back burner at present. Currently I’m examining the build of the 32mm layout, which I hope to explain soon, on this thread.

Thanks for your interest, I must try and find the Great Western bits buried in the boxes.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

May I bring a layout that’s taking shape to your attention, as it’s on a club blog that possibly you aren’t following. It’s small and simple, in 0 scale, with a quality finish. The club is Newport (Gwent) MRC and Rodney Hall is heading the team. He has produced Llanastr in the past, (featured on page 8 of this thread),which should be sufficient recommendation.

https://newportmrs.wales/members-layouts/tyn-y-coedcae/

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Very effective use of the backscene. Interesting to compare it with the earlier version (Pol Sands), the backscene completely changes the layout.

Some nice footage too in that video.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Over eight years and eighty three pages into this thread, and we’re still bumbling along, with every so often the new version, edition?, revision?, appearing, keeping to an 0 gauge, pregroup, representative, adaptable small layout concept. I’ve been looking at what there is from an operational, and an appearance, point of view, and just shifted things round a bit.
The main consideration is that I’ve moved from a terminus to fiddle yard approach, to a run through station with staging boards each end, mainly because there’s sufficient length available here. (Before the track exited at each end, but there was just a short pocket yard at the one end). This was discussed with examples back on page forty, although I’m afraid it’s a bit of a desert with the loss of pictures, and Tyn-y-Coedcae, just up above, is a good example.

The other change is that the siding has been moved to go in front, and lengthened a bit. I should be able to run through trains, mainly passenger, and do some simple shunt moves using the siding, and that’s all I really need. The main running line has a nice reverse curve to make it look more arty, not parallel with the baseboard front edge. Here’s the main board as it is now, waiting for the reception roads at each end to appear:

IMG_0493.jpeg.f32f783660091d7dedf93cd8a952bbcb.jpeg

The dimensions are length 42.5”, 1080mm, and width 12”, 305mm.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 17