Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Further update from headstock on TW s thread these locos were used on Leicester to Manchester central services ...I know there were big reorganisations in the bham area in 63 with midland lines in Bromsgrove going to the western...and in bham the opposite...tying to think when the midland region took over the ex Gt central.....with the consequences that sadly followed..

Sorry locos..should read coaches....

I think you have captured the rundown grimy railway of the 60's/70's very well. Just as I remember Water Orton from my days on the footplate at Banbury and Bescot. Loved the job but the uncertainty of employment was so depressing and the poor wages, I was only a second man at Bescot living in digs £ 14-40p for a bare week, ASLEF and BR did us no favours. I do enjoy your posts, there bostin! Mick

Mick its one of my friends ..( water Orton railway society) common. Laments when visiting our wonderfull preserved lines...it's too clean...too spick and span...then again none of us had to work in those conditions....thank you for your kind comments...much apprciated...brian

post-23587-0-43458600-1465844661_thumb.jpegjust found in my archive, sorry for the composition. These were sent to me by my friend Eddie Ravenhall. He like myself was a child in Water Orton, both of us migrated. In his case to the lowlands of Scotland, in mine to the Black Country. " Bostin" a real term from my now home patch. I remember walking around Lye in 1976 newly moved across the city on my joining the old bill. I met an old First World War One veteran , me a new constable. He invited me into his home for a cuppa. I couldn't understand a word he said. He did impart a story however, a nasty scar on his cheek....a German bullet had entered his jaw...then exited just under his eye....Then as now humbled to meet such a man....made a nice cup of tea as well. I have to understand the dialect now having married a Black Country girl...better not say wench....ah the photos class 33 new street, the sign as at a right of way across the slow lines from Salisbury close in the village. The last two are of a burnt out midland wagon dumped by the side of the disused cattle dock. A well known piece of the local scene to us spotters. The goods yard in 62 had witnessed the scrapping of a midland 2p 40396. This had run hot I believe..dumped initially in the stowage yards across the way from the yard..then bought across for the scrappers torch .I saw it from the window of the 161 bus bringing me back home from having my tonsils out at the Bham ear nose and throat...memories...

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegmick transition at Saltley just before they blew down the old coaling tower

For those who know the story of "Stacker" Steadman, on the day that the coal stage was blown up on of the other drivers came out soon after it hit the ground and chalked "Stacker Strikes Again" along it

• RMweb Gold

For those who know the story of "Stacker" Steadman, on the day that the coal stage was blown up on of the other drivers came out soon after it hit the ground and chalked "Stacker Strikes Again" along it

How "Stacker Steadman" got his name at Washwood Heath No.4

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66035-class-08-shunter-prototype-photos/page-3&do=findComment&comment=916877

• Like 1

Wow, that gradient is really steep! Practically 1-in-1.

ivan you know my photo skills or lack of them....I hoped those receiving it would be able to view right way....in my case every time I turned this I pad...just as you think it's settled it goes up in the air again....to be fair the 9fs were known as spaceships by Saltley crews!

post-23587-0-23118700-1466352645_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-91486800-1466352692_thumb.jpegjust captured this bit of activity ivatt class 4 passing with a train to Brum...the crab light engine from the yards, crossing over to the slow lines. It will pause by the crossover there, wait the path then travel over the points ant towards Saltley for servicing...a bit of everyday railway life in the mid fifties....on the footbridge a mother and child watch...

post-23587-0-09487100-1466353394_thumb.jpegin the yard my latest model take shape.....and the photo that inspired it. 46205 in black Polmadie 1950. The body is Hornby...the top dome and feed were removed by me before I realised at this time in life Vicky had the smaller firebox and that arrangement in boiler...new one on order. The chassis is by michael Edge. A beautiful testament to his artwork and etching skills. I have followed the excellent posts concerning Princesses on this forum. I am aware of the shortcomings of the Hornby body, and Mikes chassis alone will not make this a top notch model...even if I do an excellent job in construction. The loco though will join my other members of this class, and be of their standard....which I would describe as good layout locos. I intende to fit a big mashima and hi level gearbox. Will post more as she progresses. It will Howver not be as with Bertha, for those wishing to do justice to this class I refer you too those posts I have mentioned best wishes brian

post-23587-0-48984500-1466689448_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-21452200-1466689475_thumb.jpeg In 1963/64 during the west coast electrification a number of Trent valley express trains were diverted including a London...think it was Willesden to Crewe parcels. The late Michael Mensing captured City of Chester on one such working. This has featured in a number of publications. On another occasion my favourite loco....hence my moniker 46256 headed a similiar train. Mr Vic Smith a signalman at the west jct...records her approaching and then negotiating the jct towards Park Lane and Bescot. The second shot is my attempt to recreate this..Hornby with I think a mixture of crownline or possibly comet components. I have her sister 46357, in green that is solely comet. I hope this is of interest and you enjoy seeing a big un grace Midland metals
  • Like 2

I have just studied the photo of 46256 travelling past the station toward the west junction .. The one looking back towards the Minworth Road bridge..What a tragedy that those platform buildings no longer exist..

Working on Princess Victoria. 46205. She is now lined out in black circa 1950. I have commenced the motion valve gear which are a mixture of Comet and Mike Edge. The latter etch the distinctive motion bracket. I had a made up comet cylinders slidebars from a previous model so decided to use that. The combined topfeed and dome replaced after my earlier ill informed removal of the Hornby one. I have been trying without success to call Chris at High level to buy a 14/32. Mashima and 40/1 hi flier...getting no answer, nor my e mail.

hi flier and mashima ordered from Chris. He spoke of  Mr Mashima retiring and no one yet taking over the production of these essential items. . I've seen this mentioned on another thread.....worrying

• 2 weeks later...

post-23587-0-48943700-1468341133_thumb.jpeg46205 Princess Victoria lin d black circa 1950.. Short firebox combined dome and topfeed. Hornby body...GBL tender.....Hornby chassis with Mike edge etch motion bracket ( the rest of etch is for my intended model 46200... )

The lined black , as per my Triang model left by Santa Xmas 1964...now joins the rest of my Princess fleet....the Crimson cream Bachmann porthole stock she pulls ....slightly different to Triangs offerings all those years ago.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Some half built damaged Ian kirk kits noticed in a cut price bin at my local model shop. No roofs...interiors or bogies. Wizard models roofs...Bachmann thompson bogies fitted to brake..awaited for other two coaches. The wizard models roofs are from isinglass drawing...the kirk kits are some 3 mm too long when compared to the drawings in my book of LNER coaches. I have had to place an insert in brake roof..fill with epioxy putty and sand to correct the length. The same will be done to the last two. The modeller who abandoned them had really done a god job on teak finish...sadly now under maroon on brake the other two too follow. Modelmaster lining and numbers. In conclusion I now have three more layout coaches to my extensive collection...more gresleys than my midland layout should have....maybe but I enjoy rescuing models like this...post-23587-0-85377100-1471963332_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-65393700-1471963391_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5