The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

Do these cottages still stand? I understood that in the days of enlightened town and country planning, dwellings with only one door would have been condemned as unfit for human habitation.

I am not so sure on that, I can think of at least three old cottages, all fairly near to me that only have one door. which just happens to be on the sheltered side of the buildings, as already mentioned. In fact these houses are very well provided with fenestration on the windy side.

You have captured that rather grim upland bleakness really well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

uPVC man will have a field day. All those windows that need replacing, not to mention the guttering and gable ends. After that you'll have the damp proofing and insulation sales peeps along. Local builder with his velux skylights will surely be able to add value too.

• RMweb Gold

uPVC man will have a field day. All those windows that need replacing, not to mention the guttering and gable ends. After that you'll have the damp proofing and insulation sales peeps along. Local builder with his velux skylights will surely be able to add value too.

These had gone long before any of those were even thought of, don't think these houses had guttering.

• RMweb Gold

If the miner/railway man often trudged that route, would there be a path worn into the grass?

He normally walks on the track but there's a ruddy great loco in his way...

From your photos of the current site the houses look the ideal restoration project for the home DIYist.

Yeah, wouldn't take much to get it back to being habitable.

• 2 weeks later...