The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

2/10, must try harder.

The's nay duuas on't 'ouses.

They're all on the other, sheltered side.

Ah, awfully sorry, dashed poor show on my behalf, must endevour to try much harder. Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Stuhave you not heard the saying.."put wood int hoile thas causing a draft..."?Baz

As a descendant of Manchester folk, aye, I've heard that phrase before - my point was there were no visible holes t'put wood in.

• RMweb Gold

Do these cottages still stand? I understood that in the days of enlightened town and country planning, dwellings with only one door would have been condemned as unfit for human habitation.

No, they're long gone, just a crumbling pillar of stones about half way along is all that's left. Another row further up on the moor top has fared better, I suppose this row was easier to cart away.

• RMweb Premium

Boards 2 and 3 up now and the front hillside has been treated to some scatter. 

attachicon.gifIMGP0358-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0359-001.JPG

And we're ready for whatever the Yorksher weather can throw at us...

attachicon.gifIMGP0360-001.JPG

I like the austere business like style of the cottages.

Bog doors or not

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The use of the coloured dyes to mark ownership of sheep is a modern thing. 

They would have been branded with a branding iron at this time, so a slightly blackened (and much smaller so not really visible) mark would have been all they exhibited.

It would be entirely characteristic of pre-Grouping stock to have indication of ownership less prominently displayed, at least up to the end of Victoria's reign. I believe the Great Western used branding irons on some of its early goods wagons (before iron frames became the thing) but I suppose the practice is rather more humane on wagons than on sheep.

• RMweb Gold

They would have been branded with a branding iron at this time, so a slightly blackened (and much smaller so not really visible) mark would have been all they exhibited.

Hi Mark,

Their horns would possibly be branded, there's also ear notching and tattoos but raddle or rudd has been around for a long time, not a permanent ID but essential for spotting your sheep half a mile away over the moors (unless it's foggy of course) Seen here in the 1820s in this Constable painting, definitely not tupping marks as it's obviously late summer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Constable_-_The_Cornfield.jpg

• Like 2

The purchase of dye for marking sheep (that's what the Latin says) on downland manors certainly occurs in a couple of 14th century documents I've looked at - I'm fairly certain the colour was specified. These sheep would have been grazed among the flocks of other owners. I wonder whether branding would be hugely effective on something like a sheep - certainly if the animal was kept for wool it would impact on the value of the animal if the brand was prominent enough to be seen through the fleece.

Not sure about the intervening centuries, however.

Adam