'USA' 0-6-0T models - painted samples

dibber25

• RMweb Premium

I stand corrected. Looking at that video they appear to be upright poles for grabbing on to, while other members of the class had a small tank top mounted loop:

Hand pole:

post-6714-0-20688100-1472020611.png

Radio aerial:

post-6714-0-21637300-1472020625.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As a child I used to play on the things at Eastleigh shed when they came in for works/ minor repairs etc.(My dad worked there) They were my favourite engines to play on because of the radio telephone and the big (to me) aerials on the side of the cab.

I ran Southampton Docks from them on Saturday mornings in 1958!

• Like 1

Here we go again ! ........ BR coaching stock green was an attempt to return to the Southern colours of yore and was said to virtually indistinguishable from those vehicles which retained Malachite from late S.R. / early B.R. days darkened under a few layers of varnish : it was NOT a totally different colour. What many modellers and paint manufacturers believe to be malachite green is based on a colour sample published in the 1970 H.M.R.S. Livery Register  -  BUT few people seem to be aware of the Addendum ( about 20 years later ) which admits that this colour was far too yellow and probably represented the short-lived so called 'Dover' green tried before the war .................... there's a new version of the Livery Register in preparation so all SHOULD become clear !

This was what I was comparing. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94130968@N07/21461039085/

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/usa.html

OK I'll take back my claim it was a totally different colour but say instead they are a different shade. Look at Blackmoor Vale, probably the most authentic to an original Bullied and its still a different shade to 30064. I take your point about the wrong sample in the 1970 list. Blackmoor looked distinctively brighter in 1976 than it did in 2000. 

http://www.bulleidsociety.org/21C123/21C123_Preservation.html

Edited by USA4472

This was what I was comparing. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94130968@N07/21461039085/

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/usa.html

OK I'll take back my claim it was a totally different colour but say instead they are a different shade. Look at Blackmoor Vale, probably the most authentic to an original Bullied and its still a different shade to 30064. I take your point about the wrong sample in the 1970 list. Blackmoor looked distinctively brighter in 1976 than it did in 2000. 

http://www.bulleidsociety.org/21C123/21C123_Preservation.html

I wasn't aiming that comment at you in particular - plenty of people have commented, for instance, about Hornby using the same colour for S.R. and B.R. Maunsell coaches  ................. anyway, 72 was obviously not as blue as it probably should have been and certainly not as blue as 64 in pre- or post-preservation guise.

Personally I remember being shocked at how blue 850 and 925 were at Rainhill - absolutely nothing like the can of model paint that had been my benchmark until then ! 

• RMweb Premium

I stand corrected. Looking at that video they appear to be upright poles for grabbing on to, while other members of the class had a small tank top mounted loop:

Hand pole:

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2016-08-24 07:31:38.png

Radio aerial:

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2016-08-24 07:34:43.png

Yes, that's easy to see now. Thank you all. If my version does not have those grab poles then it would be simple to fit them if I'm feeling that fussed. 

I also now notice that the model 30069 (#241) and the real 30069 (#246) had different step arrangements at the front of the tanks. (Have I missed that comment somewhere? If so I shall delete).

They really are intriguingly different in details this buch of machines. 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

I wasn't aiming that comment at you in particular - plenty of people have commented, for instance, about Hornby using the same colour for S.R. and B.R. Maunsell coaches  ................. anyway, 72 was obviously not as blue as it probably should have been and certainly not as blue as 64 in pre- or post-preservation guise.

Personally I remember being shocked at how blue 850 and 925 were at Rainhill - absolutely nothing like the can of model paint that had been my benchmark until then ! 

Sorry for misunderstanding. Ah yes, model paint appears very yellow and how I remember Blackmoor being in my 'yoof' Personally I preferred that but historical authenticity rules, especially as Blackmoor has largely upheld the Southern standard. Have a look at this repaint to see just how yellow the model Malachite looks!

http://repaints.hopkinson.net/view_item.asp?ID=109

Regarding 30069's steps that is correct for the earlier BR period. The platform shown in the real picture is a later addition. 

As for detail differences. Looking at DS233 and 235, both have flat back bunkers and not the slight flare that 30064 has. 30062 also has the flat back bunker prior to its 'IOW' style extension whilst 30073 had the flare! 

Edited by USA4472

. Have a look at this repaint to see just how yellow the model Malachite looks!

http://repaints.hopkinson.net/view_item.asp?ID=109

As for detail differences. Looking at DS233 and 235, both have flat back bunkers and not the slight flare that 30064 has. 30062 also has the flat back bunker prior to its 'IOW' style extension whilst 30073 had the flare! 

I think the colour's probably the last thing we need to worry about on that model toy !

........ and while - back on topic - we're talking about differences, 72 seems to have gained Southern Railway buffers at some time ! ( Was it alone ? )

Only taken on an iPhone with a mixture of sunlight and lamplight so don't take too much notice of the exact colour - but still a masterpiece and a thing of beauty.

Godfrey

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_08_2016/post-138-0-46543300-1471956332.jpg

Certainly a mangnificant model. Can't wait to get mine.

The sand pipes from the Dome are a bit of a disappointment, being clearly moulded and lacking 'daylight' under them. I presume the budget didn't stretch to seperate parts there, especially given the detail everywhere else. A bit of black paint may be called for...

Edited by G-BOAF

I think the colour's probably the last thing we need to worry about on that model toy !

........ and while - back on topic - we're talking about differences, 72 seems to have gained Southern Railway buffers at some time ! ( Was it alone ? )

You should be more careful about comments like that! Trix Twins success is one of the reasons for us having OO. ;-)

I missed the delivery yesterday but I'm delighted to have mine; it's a superb little model and I'll stick my neck out and say I feel it's the best produced OO RTR steam loco I've seen. The decoration on this model is excellent. It runs superbly but I have to say with that motion and the clearances I wouldn't fancy pushing it out to EM. It may have taken 4.5 years but it's still beaten the project I'll use it on.

The smokebox plate was a bit skew-wiffed, I tried to correct it but I'm still not happy with it.

1s.jpg

2s.jpg

3s.jpg

4s.jpg

5s.jpg

6s.jpg

7s.jpg

8s.jpg

Well done to the Model Rail team and Bachmann for producing this.

• Like 16

A review of a very eagerly anticipated Model Rail Exclusive - Limited Edition Bachmann USA 0-6-0T Class, in smart BR Early Black Livery.
The United States Army Transportation Corps S100, was designed for shunting duties throughout Europe and North Africa during World War II. Produced by H. K. Porter, and Vulcan Iron Works in the US, A total of 382 were shipped to Britain in 1943 for storage before the invasion of Mainland Europe in 1944. 
After the war a number remained in storage, at Newbury Racecourse. 15 of these where purchased and adapted for UK use by the Southern Railway. Changes included modifications to the cab, British-style regulators, Vac Brakes, extended coal bunkers, plus more. The Tanks saw use at Southampton Docks, where they gained notoriety with railway enthusiasts. 
The other member of the class saw services with the National Coal Board, Longmoor Military Railway and even Austin Motors.
Withdrawals of the Southern Railway member of the class happened from 1962 to 1967, with 4 member surviving into preservation.
Bachmann and Model Rail have done an superb job in capturing these interesting and rugged prototypes, with the model features a wealth of detail including; finely applied hand rails and pipework, extensively detailed cab interior, well applied Glazing, plus more. 
Fitted with a powerful super crawl 5 Pole Motor, the USA Tank has got to be one of the slowest and smoothest runners straight from the box I have ever seen! Having no issue with point-work, even at a crawl! This model really is a must for any Southern Region, Wartime or Preserved Era modeller! 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41NDdE0ky5k

• Like 2

I missed the delivery yesterday but I'm delighted to have mine; it's a superb little model and I'll stick my neck out and say I feel it's the best produced OO RTR steam loco I've seen. The decoration on this model is excellent. It runs superbly but I have to say with that motion and the clearances I wouldn't fancy pushing it out to EM. It may have taken 4.5 years but it's still beaten the project I'll use it on.

The smokebox plate was a bit skew-wiffed, I tried to correct it but I'm still not happy with it.

attachicon.gif

Well done to the Model Rail team and Bachmann for producing this.

That is a claim Andy!!

Maybe Bachmann should switch to USA-models for the British market...

I presume the smokebox numberplate is a seperate item (rather than moulded, at last!) can it not be persuaded off gently and restuck with a dab of PVA?

I presume the smokebox numberplate is a seperate item (rather than moulded, at last!) can it not be persuaded off gently and restuck with a dab of PVA?

I did persuade; quite hard. And then flattened it out. Looked OK until I took the pics but you can see it's angled back.

In total there are ten variations - as shown in our current advertisements. Two versions are sold out on pre-orders (lined green and early crest black). We are awaiting word from Bachmann on the delivery of the last three variants we announced (green departmental, weathered black, green named) but we expect them soon, as that completes the production run. (CJL)

Will that be it then Chris?

In total there are ten variations - as shown in our current advertisements. Two versions are sold out on pre-orders (lined green and early crest black). We are awaiting word from Bachmann on the delivery of the last three variants we announced (green departmental, weathered black, green named) but we expect them soon, as that completes the production run. (CJL)

Hi Chris, are we not waiting for the LMR blue version too?

By the way does anyone know when the handrails were fitted? Most photos of 30069 doesn't have them, but later photos such as the one above in post #246 has them.

Seem to appear from the time of the aerials being fitted, which is what threw me into thinking they were aerials. (Apologies - have edited my previous message). Just had a rummage through the relevant Locos Illustrated but no comment.

Seem to appear from the time of the aerials being fitted, which is what threw me into thinking they were aerials. (Apologies - have edited my previous message). Just had a rummage through the relevant Locos Illustrated but no comment.

There's a comment about posts in place of tank-top handles in the Noodle Books 'History of the USA Tanks' ( or whatever the full title is ) - so if anyone's got a copy in front of them ...........

Few comments re 30064 (which I hope to be picking up from the sorting office tomorrow)

there are limits to the tooling varients. Specifically,  30064 has two small mechanical lubricators (both in service it seems, and in preservation). Also it shouldn't have the 'horseshoe' front handrail, rather two handrails each side of the door.

A slight shame given the detailed differences the tooling has, but I suppose there are limits. So some varaents are more accurate than others.

Edited by G-BOAF

Also it shouldn't have the 'horseshoe' front handrail, rather two handrails each side of the door.

I hadn't noticed the blindingly obvious. Off to play spot-the-difference with 30073.

I hadn't noticed the blindingly obvious. Off to play spot-the-difference with 30073.

30073 has the U shaped handrail

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SR-tank-engines/i-kJh97CN/0/L/S_BR_30073_GWRA130729-L.jpg

and the single lubricator

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SR-tank-engines/i-6FQmg7D/1/L/S_BR_30064_30073_GWRA130729_slide6D10-L.jpg

So 30064 as modelled is actually totally correct for 30073 EDIT: Bunkers totally different. Not a straightforward renumber job! The model is much more 30064!

won't spoil my enjoyment of the model.

I mean since 2010 Hornby have been sticking mechanical lubricators on castle's that didn't have them at all! The fact is that in terms of basic outline, and quality of production, this seems to be an excellent model. But not quite perfect in every regard!

Edited by G-BOAF