Mr Grumpy’s Workbench: MOK 9F occasional updates

Mr Grumpy

Annealing is applying heat to the metal to remove the stresses and soften to make it more pliable to shape. The more you work the annealed metal, the more the stresses return and it 'work hardens'. Once this begins to happen the metal should be heated to make it plyable again.

Edited by Mr Grumpy

If ever there was a day to stay out of the workshop.........

I really didn't get very far today, I should have stayed in bed as rough as hell. 

I began to wonder if I was the right person to be posting this build, perhaps I should have left it to my 2 year old grandson! Anything that could go wrong just did. All my own fault of course, I should have shut up shop!

Anyway, I soldered the brackets on to the curved doors, all went well. When I came to fit them, I realised all four pegs I soldered in to the chute body were around 1mm short. Being a stubborn type I faffed and muddled and eventually unsoldered them and fitted four replacements. They were the same length!!! :O

Out they came, didn't swear of course.........

Then even though I had soldered the adjacent brackets with 227 degree solder, a couple of  the blooming things fell off, accompanied by a good 1/2 hour investigating the nether regions of the work bench. Found plenty of rubbish though!

So, I managed to get one side done and called it a day. I will solder the brackets to the pegs when the other side is in and tidy up the naff soldering. 

post-19951-0-45408500-1457131545_thumb.jpg

Close up to show just how hot the brackets must have got :O

post-19951-0-10162300-1457131597_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Grumps,

Thank you for posting your last installment.  Whether it is good, bad or indifferent it is great for us (like me, that could never even attempt anything like this that you are building) see it warts and all.  Well I guess I could attempt it but I would have given up on day one I think.  These kits seem quite testing and I guess each stage you learn a new skill and become a better modeller for it.  I'm looking forward to many more updates on this project because I know you will finish it and more over it will be to your high standards and quality.

I think Enterprising Western hit the nail on the head, so keep going we're with you all the way!!!

oh yes before I forget, thank you for your explanation of annealing..... most helpful.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

If ever there was a day to stay out of the workshop.........

I really didn't get very far today, I should have stayed in bed as rough as hell. 

I began to wonder if I was the right person to be posting this build, perhaps I should have left it to my 2 year old grandson! Anything that could go wrong just did. All my own fault of course, I should have shut up shop!

Anyway, I soldered the brackets on to the curved doors, all went well. When I came to fit them, I realised all four pegs I soldered in to the chute body were around 1mm short. Being a stubborn type I faffed and muddled and eventually unsoldered them and fitted four replacements. They were the same length!!! :O

Out they came, didn't swear of course.........

Then even though I had soldered the adjacent brackets with 227 degree solder, a couple of  the blooming things fell off, accompanied by a good 1/2 hour investigating the nether regions of the work bench. Found plenty of rubbish though!

So, I managed to get one side done and called it a day. I will solder the brackets to the pegs when the other side is in and tidy up the naff soldering. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3051.JPG

Close up to show just how hot the brackets must have got :O

attachicon.gifIMG_3053.JPG

Hi

I don't want to add to your woes but have you got the end nearest the camera the right way around as the curve for the doors seems to be on the inside at the other end. It may just be a trick of the light though.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

I don't want to add to your woes but have you got the end nearest the camera the right way around as the curve for the doors seems to be on the inside at the other end. It may just be a trick of the light though.

Cheers

Paul

Has my wife paid you to finish me off? :-)

The curve is actually cut through the body, so all ok! I'm not though, so may go and read my nice new 9F book for a while :-)

• RMweb Premium

Has my wife paid you to finish me off? :-)

The curve is actually cut through the body, so all ok! I'm not though, so may go and read my nice new 9F book for a while :-)

Hi

That's a relief.

Cheers

Paul

...  so all ok! I'm not though, so may go and read my nice new 9F book for a while :-)

Hi Grumps,

That sounds like a great idea, if you're not feeling too good give the Dogfish a miss until you're feeling better (no idea what a 9F is though :mosking:  ).

Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Enterprising Western and Lee for your kind comments!

When I was building my 47, I thought I had made a great job of assembling and installing the Serck louvres. My wife (who IS NOT a railway buff) told me they were wrong and looked terrible. I refused to accept her words of wisdom and posted my excellent work. Within minutes a chap informed me of my errors supported by several photos of the real thing. When I then looked at what I had done, it was absolutely obvious and looked ridiculous!!

My wife gave me a smug 'told you so' look that only wives can give.

But (Lee) thank heavens for solder!! Had I epoxied them I think it may have incurred ordering a couple of replacement frets from DJH.

Getting back to the dogfish, I may take up origami prior to assembling the hopper !! :-)

It is a well thought out kit and the instructions are excellent, as I progress, I shall double check and dry run more than usual.

Hi Grumps,

That sounds like a great idea, if you're not feeling too good give the Dogfish a miss until you're feeling better (no idea what a 9F is though :mosking:  ).

Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers

Lee

It's one of these...

post-19951-0-58147600-1457172308.jpeg

• Like 1

It's one of these...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ah ok.... sorry I'm a real philistine when it comes to anything steam driven, which, given the amount of time I have spent on preserved railways one would at least think I had absorbed some information, even if only by osmosis alone!!  I guess I am not a rail enthusiast but more a diesel (and electric) loco enthusiast.

I think I may know what a black 5 is.... that's my lot I'm afraid :D

Cheers

Lee

As a child, I had a panoramic view of the Western region between Paddington and Reading, so grew up with Westerns, Warships and Hymecks, oh and Brush type 4s. Down the road a bit was the Southern line and I fell for the 33s. I was fascinated by the 33/1s pushing the 4TCs in to Reading General ( see Brian Daniels excellent thread).

Adjacent to the Western line was Early power station and they had a couple of 0-6-0 Stephenson saddle tanks and I loved watching them shunt the 16t coal wagons. But steam never was my thing. Always loved anything on railway tracks though!

I see the 9F as a long term challenge. Recently I took several detail photos to help with the build, and just being around it, I realised what a monster it is and I am hooked!!

Still love my diesels though, especially in dirty banger blue!!

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 2

I got the chute assembly finished, apart from a little cleaning up, and decided to give it a trial fit to the chassis. That vacuum pipe still needs straightening!

The assembly isn't soldered in yet so don't pounce on me for it being out of level!  :)

So, I will try and get the brake yolk re-fitted next.......

post-19951-0-29862400-1457192664_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-94994600-1457192693_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

You have a very nice build there it's not until you reach this stage that you realize what an Asymmetric frame this wagon has.

Well done keep the progress pics coming.

Hi Pete,

It's a shame both ends weren't symmetrical, ie: both the same length as the hopper operation end, I wouldn't have given myself the problem with the brake yoke at the vacuum cylinder end :-)

After a bit of eye massage, I will try to sort the brakes out tomorrow.

Hi folks.

I got the brakes moved in board today and the chute assy fits perfectly. I did, in the end, file a minuscule piece from the rear of the yoke, as if I pushed it any further, the brake shoes touch the wheels. I will have to be far more thorough with my brake gear assembly next time!

I am in two minds which buffers to use. MarkJJ kindly sent me a couple of pairs of self contained buffers complete with axle boxes. I can't face replacing the roller bearing boxes I have fitted, so I may just fit the buffers and use a complete set on the next one.

While having a think about this, I assembled the hopper body (not all the bits and pieces that are to be attached). It went together beautifully with no problems.

post-19951-0-39399400-1457301203_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-06383300-1457301223_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

The first 0 gauge kit I built (apart from a RJH 33/1 20 odd yrs ago.....which I never completely finished.....) was a Connoisseur BR standard 20T brake van. Everything went swimmingly until I had to fold the sole bars. Suffice to say, they ended up looking like brass bananas!! Fortunately for me, Jim Mc Geown is a very helpful and generous chap, and sent me virtually a complete set of etches the next day.

Since then, I have an apprehension of folding long thin brass strip. There are four strips to fold for the top of the hopper. The two shorter ends folded perfectly, giving me a sense of optimism and complacency.

Even with the aid of my trusty 'Hold & Fold', one looked abysmal the other looked like an abysmal corkscrew. I phoned my trusty local model shop in search of some brass angle strip, to no avail. Being of the impatient type, I set to and gently annealed the strips, got them reasonably flat, then bent again. Perhaps I should have annealed in the first place?

Anyway, I have soldered them in place and they look very good, followed by most of the other hopper parts apart from the stations.....I didn't want to push my luck!!

post-19951-0-87765000-1457394557_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-41674100-1457394577_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

One step at a time Lee!!

I'm hoping to get on with the six stantions, all of which are made up of a total of 30 parts, so that should keep me from under my wife's feet for a while :-)

Still plenty to do, I just hope It all fits and looks square!

I'm hoping to get on with the six stantions, all of which are make up of a total of 30 parts...

Mr Grumpy, what you are about to do is the most important part of the whole kit.  The stanchions have a tab at the bottom and those six tabs have to fit between the solebars.  Too wide across the tabs and the hopper does not fit the frame, been there etc., had to take the stanchions off on one side and refit in that knowledge.

Graham

Edited by Western Star

I fitted the stations after I fitted the hopper onto the chassis, also I fitted the chute assembly to the chassis before playing with the brake rigging.

Ian G

Edited by Ian G
  • Like 1

I fitted the stations after I fitted the hopper onto the chassis, also I fitted the chute assembly to the chassis before playing with the brake rigging.

Ian G

Hi Ian,

Makes sense re: the chute....I will have to save that for the next one! Did it become a little cramped around the inboard brake assembly to get the iron in? I know you have built several so I may look at the stantion fitting sequence with a dry run first.

Edit for stupid iPhone auto spell

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 1